2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Actual fresh Food vs Freeze dried vs Dehydrated, What do you take on your trips?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2014, 11:56 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK lets see who takes what kind of food when out backpacking. Do you take just freeze dried, just dehydrated or do you take some actual fresh food?
 For me it's usually a combination of the fresh and dehydrated. I use freeze dried for meat like chicken on longer trips and occasionally a store bought freeze dried meal.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2014, 3:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hmm...I take fresh cheese, fresh fruit and veggies often.

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2014, 4:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most of my trips are longer than 6 days, so I take a combination of dehydrated and freeze-dried.  Only thing fresh I take are foil tuna or chicken, and a bread such as tortillas or those flat rounds.  When hauling food for a longer trip, weight begins to matter more.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
Pgunnz Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2014, 4:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Longer further trips would be dehydrated and freeze dried, but short weekend trips fresh fruits and veggies are nice to add to a meal.

--------------
“Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.”
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2014, 3:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Weekends dinners are fresh, or Chinese takeout, my two week ones are freezes died foods.

Breakfast, even at home, is oatmeal.
 Post Number: 6
Starbreaker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2014, 9:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

generally a combo of fresh/dehydrated.  Depends what I am doing and where I am going and how adventurous I get.  Some days it's nothing more then a lot of home made trail mix dehydrated fruits/candies and PPB/honey on tortillas..  other days it's dehydrated soups my wife made up for me and I cook it at my destination for the day (I'm a long day hiker and not so much a BP'er anymore).
 Post Number: 7
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2014, 1:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mostly we do longer trips (or lightning overnights with no cooking), so it's mostly dehydrated.  But I like to have bagels with cheddar and apple slices for lunch on the first day :)

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2014, 11:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've done fresh items on the first night and into the next day some. On canoe trips it's a whole other story as I can take tons of fresh items and have it cooled.
 Post Number: 9
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2014, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All.

Freeze dried veggies
Dried fruit
Dehydrated meals
Fresh carrots, nuts, tuna pouches, etc.

Generally, the shorter the trip, the more fresh food I bring.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 10
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2014, 2:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I take everything except freeze-dried and dehydrated. I can still handle the weight.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
9 replies since Mar. 19 2014, 11:56 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Actual fresh Food vs Freeze dried vs Dehydrated
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions