2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Coffee/measuring cup?, Looking for the right coffee cup< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
DSBregan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2014, 12:31 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm looking for a metal coffee mug, preferably titanium (but I'd settle for stainless steel or even enamel coated) that has interior graduations for measuring.  I have searched and searched to no avail!  I've found TONS of metal coffee cups, but I can't find one with interior graduations.  Does anyone know of such a product?  BTW, I need it by Saturday...

I know I could just etch the marks myself but I'd rather not go that route.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2014, 1:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've used this one for years. Totally light, very cheap. Funny thing? There's actually no law against drinking from a "measuring" cup.....

http://www.rei.com/product/401090/open-country-plastic-measuring-cup

Or there's this one:
http://www.rei.com/product/708071/snow-peak-titanium-trek-700-mug

So to summarize: $1.50 for the plastic one, $44.95 for the metal. Decisions,, decisions...
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2014, 1:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the reply!  I saw those and the snowpeak is just too big.  I wish I could find a smaller one! I'm not sure what I have against the plastic one.  It's just too..,.plastic.  

I might end up etching a stainless steel one myself.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2014, 1:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think back when I wanted marks on my Sierra Cup (Snowpeak now makes one with volume marks btw) I used a sharpie on the outside, that's removable if needed... With the vertical walls of most backpacking mugs eyeballing the liquid level in relation to outside marks would be doable.

The green one may be plastic, but it's only one ounce of plastic....

Here's Snowpeaks:
http://www.snowpeak.com/tablewa....04.html

Food grade silicone?
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/product....t-_--_-

Searching "measuring cups" will retrieve the items with graduations if metal is mandatory.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2014, 1:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks again, Sierra_Fan.  I wish I could find something like this with interior graduations:  
http://www.snowpeak.com/tablewa....43.html

Maybe it just doesn't exist?
 Post Number: 6
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2014, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Except for the old plastic ones I've never seen metal ones with the graduations in them. You would think that someone would have thought of that. Same goes for some pots they have them on the outside but not inside.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2014, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree,!  I like a sturdy coffee cup and it would be great if there was one out there that could double as a measuring cup, especially for extremely hot liquids.
 Post Number: 8
Pgunnz Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2014, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Except for the Snow Peak 700 I haven't seen many metal cups with measurement marks.  Mostly plastic and silicone cups these days have markings.

--------------
“Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.”
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2014, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Plan "C"?

Make a graduated dipstick! Put markings on your spoon handle for the desired liquid volumes in your preferred vessel. Just remember to add the liquid first so the level will compensate for the volume of the spoon material when you do the marking. Then after that filling to the mark on the spoon will be the correct volume.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2014, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is some pretty cool vintage stuff on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm....e109191
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2014, 2:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DSBregan @ Mar. 30 2014, 11:50 am)
There is some pretty cool vintage stuff on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm....e109191

Yeah I expect the places to look are cooking supply outlets, measuring cup being the determining factor.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2014, 3:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just bought the retro Gooseberry off ebay.  I'll let you know how much it weighs when it gets here.  I'm sure I'll be sacrificing an ounce or two (I hope not three), but that's the price you pay when you are particular!
 Post Number: 13
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2014, 7:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use the Snowpeak Trek 700.  Yes, it is a bit large, but I use if for boiling water for dinner, coffee mug, whiskey glass, etc.  Also, because of its size, it is able to hold my Gigapower and a fuel canister.  Gradations are great, since I mostly eat freezedried meals.  Another option might be the MSR Soloist, which comes with a plastic "mug" with measurement lines.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2014, 10:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, Trinity.  I use the MSR dualist, but have been leaving the "mugs" at home since I eat most of my dinners from the bag and I'm not too crazy about drinking coffee from a bowl.  

I think the cup I ordered from eBay will work well, most of those old aluminum measuring cups are pretty light.  I hike with my girlfriend and we enjoy our coffee.  We usually have a couple different freeze dried dishes with our coffee.  I boil a "big" pot of water, measure out the water for the bags, then make coffee from the water that is leftover.  By the time the bags are ready, the coffee is ready to drink with the meal.  It was important, to me, to have a dual purpose coffee/measuring cup that met my (possibly irrational) requirements for a coffee cup.  

Plus, I kinda like the retro stuff.
 Post Number: 15
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2014, 8:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a clear lexan cup with lines from a sharpie that works well.  For measuring and drinking.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 16
Idaho Bob Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2014, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is my lexan cup, an indestructible and light cup.

Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
15 replies since Mar. 30 2014, 12:31 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Coffee/measuring cup?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions