2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: backpack cookware, mugs/skillet< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wildmann Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2014, 8:59 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

hi! looking for suggestions about backpacking/hiking cookware. i only need a mug for coffee/drinks and to cook packaged food(boil).also,a small skillet to pan fry.looking at jetboil,snowpeak,etc.. any suggestions would be appreciated! (for one person,not car camping,up and away in the hi-country)(LIGHTWEIGHT) do i need to buy a seperate pan for frying and a mug for boiling? or does anyone know of a combined set-up? thanks so much for your time!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2014, 11:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First, what stove are you using?  That matters to the shape and size of cookware.

For example, I use a trangia alcohol burner.  It needs a wide pot.  I freezerbag cook and love coffee so I need about a liter of hot water every meal.  The lightest thing I've found so far is an aluminum tea kettle from Campmor.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___82855

As far as a skillet, how big?  I picked up a very light 10" at WalMart for frying fish when base-camping.  I needed one that size to fit on my white gas and propane stoves.  They have them down to "one-egg" size but you have to have a small flame pattern stove to use that.  They're light as heck.  Cheap, to boot.

So, forget brands and match your cookware to your stove and to what you want to cook.  That's the best I can tell you.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3
mrcarmanm3 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 1:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My current setup is an MSR Pocket Rocket (thing is stupid small but perfect for my style). With a Wally World Aluminum mug, going to splurge and buy a GSI Soloist kit.

http://gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/pinnacle_soloist

They seem to have some nice kits, don't see much for a pan option for lightweight.

This might work.

http://gsioutdoors.com/activit....packing

I don't think you'll find a pan-mug. Unless you happen to get a wide mug?

Also just picked up this little sucker, not exactly lightweight packing but it makes one heck of a good espresso!

http://gsioutdoors.com/activit....packing
 Post Number: 4
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 8:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check out some of the Snowpeak cooksets:  

http://www.rei.com/b/snow-peak
 Post Number: 5
ambrose Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 11:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Optimus Terra Weekend HE .95L Pot?

--------------
Good things for fun times
 Post Number: 6
Pgunnz Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2014, 3:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

the Snow Peak Trek 900 sounds like it might be what you are looking for (make sure you pick up a pack of HotLips so you can use it as a mug).  I have used the Trek 1400 and it works well for boiling water and things like that, the fry pan isn't super great though, Ti combined with stoves that don't have good heat regulation doesn't work well with frying things.

Another thing you could also do is GSI's minimalist set and then find a small frying pan.

Unfortunately MSR discontinued their Black Lite cookware which had a nice light weight fry pan.

--------------
“Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.”
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2014, 4:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Pgunnz @ Apr. 05 2014, 3:58 pm)
the Snow Peak Trek 900 sounds like it might be what you are looking for (make sure you pick up a pack of HotLips so you can use it as a mug).  I have used the Trek 1400 and it works well for boiling water and things like that, the fry pan isn't super great though, Ti combined with stoves that don't have good heat regulation doesn't work well with frying things.

Another thing you could also do is GSI's minimalist set and then find a small frying pan.

Unfortunately MSR discontinued their Black Lite cookware which had a nice light weight fry pan.

I've got the MSR blacklite cookware and it is not lt wt. The OP is IMO looking for something really lt wt like titanium.
 Post Number: 8
Pgunnz Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2014, 10:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Apr. 06 2014, 2:42 pm)

I've got the MSR blacklite cookware and it is not lt wt. The OP is IMO looking for something really lt wt like titanium.

The set as a whole no but the fry pan by itself is one of the lighter decent fry pans you are going to find.

--------------
“Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.”
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2014, 9:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Pgunnz @ Apr. 06 2014, 10:30 pm)

The set as a whole no but the fry pan by itself is one of the lighter decent fry pans you are going to find.

I found a pan that was lighter than the MSR Blacklite fry pan at a thrift store after I cut the handle off of it. It's a small little 6 inch Teflon coated pan.
 Post Number: 10
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2014, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Apr. 07 2014, 6:32 am)

(Pgunnz @ Apr. 06 2014, 10:30 pm)

I found a pan that was lighter than the MSR Blacklite fry pan at a thrift store after I cut the handle off of it. It's a small little 6 inch Teflon coated pan.

That's the thing for me as well: other than my titanium GSI Kettle everything "kitchen" actually comes from my kitchen, or a grocery store.

While I've occasionally been intrigued by those kits, and I got one with the kettle, I've mostly found they're the equivalent of pre made first aid kits: too much of what I don't want and not enough of what I do.
9 replies since Apr. 03 2014, 8:59 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply backpack cookware
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions