2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Spam, why so popular?, Because...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
buddero Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 10:19 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I read somewhere that Spam is popular among some people, like on New Guinea and thereabouts because it has "that slightly porky taste of human flesh."

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It does almost taste like human flesh!

The spam with bacon is mmmm mmmm good!

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 10:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You, and the NYT, need to remember that it's SPAM.  All capitals, all the time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014....ml?_r=1

MMMMmmmm, SPAM!

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 4
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 10:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not long ago I realized it had been years since I'd eaten the stuff so I bought a can. After taking one bite I remembered just why it's been years....

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 11:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pacific Islands are a long ways from anywhere so canned meat, such as SPAM and it's competitors, with it's superior shipping ability is going to be available. Refrigeration is very thin on the ground in a lot of the world as well: canned goods store very well.
 Post Number: 6
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It'll be a cold day in hell before I eat SPAM again. And an even colder one before I ever touch Underwood's Deviled Ham again. I still break into a cold sweat thinking about being forced to eat that canned nastiness while growing up..

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 7
ambrose Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 3:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and I eat a good bit of SPAM on our backpacking trips. I buy several cases, during the winter months, of pouch foil SPAM along with pouch salmon and tuna. Good stuff with powdered mashed potatos, instant rice, rice stick noodles, and grits. I use the empty foil pouches to store some of the more nasty garbage that is brought back.

--------------
Good things for fun times
 Post Number: 8
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2014, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And an even colder one before I ever touch Underwood's Deviled Ham again.

Count your blessings, my Grandmother came to live with us in the mid 1960's after my grandfather passed.

She was from Finland.....creamed cod and Deviled ham on rye crisp.....yum yum yum...

At least she had impeccable table manners...it really could have been worse but she ate like she was invited by the Queen of England...(I think most kids growing up in the 50's and 60's put up with that line....get yer elbows off the table, what if you get invited to eat w...blah blah blah)

As for the OP....I think the foil pack tastes better than the can.....but neither taste as good as human.

OTOH:  Potted meat product tastes a lot like Germans...

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 9
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2014, 1:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have never liked Spam, ever. I seriously doubt I will ever like it.  :p

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 10
TJCeeJay Search for posts by this member.
Take a Hike!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 4:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ooooh! Just noticed this thread! Mmmmm... SPAMmmmmm....  I loves me SPAM! So much so that I bought 4 CASES of it for my move to Butedale in November. And ya know what? Just finished the last can this week.   :(  

And to all the Americans here on the forum; you are SO lucky.  Us poor Canucks don't have access to even a tenth of the SPAM products you do.  :angry:

We got SPAM and SPAM Lite; and that's it. We ain't even got Singles! The HUMANITIES!

We ain't got Spam Hot & Spicy, Jalapeño, Black Pepper, Oven Roasted Turkey, Hickory Smoke flavor, Bacon (That one's a REAL shame!) Spam with Cheese, or any other non-original SPAM. It sucks! If I could get a hold of some SPAM Bacon, or the Oven Roasted Turkey I'd be in SPAM heaven!  :p  Mmmm... SPAMmmmbaconnnn...   :D  

Ah well, I guess I'll have to befriend one of my American visitors who regularly comes to Butedale so I can give him / her a few hundred bucks and get 'em to bring me up some SPAMy goodness on their next trip.  :laugh:

Cheers!

--------------
MAY THE WIND BE ALWAYS AT YOUR BACK, AND THE PATH ALWAYS RISE UP TO MEET YOUR FEET.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 9:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.spam.com/recipes/

--------------

Post Number: 12
Ricksterz Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 3:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Us poor Canucks don't have access to even a tenth of the SPAM products you do.  :angry:

But Canadians have access to SPAM knockoffs such as Klik, KAM, Swift prem and Holiday in the canned luncheon meats pantheon. I am not making this up.

--------------
Ricksterz
 Post Number: 13
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 2:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe it's popular with people who'd prefer to avoid real meat?
 Post Number: 14
Take a Hike!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2014, 12:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ricksterz @ Apr. 21 2014, 12:13 am)
Us poor Canucks don't have access to even a tenth of the SPAM products you do.  :angry:

But Canadians have access to SPAM knockoffs such as Klik, KAM, Swift prem and Holiday in the canned luncheon meats pantheon. I am not making this up.

Yup! But they ain't no SPAM with bacon! Klik actually used to be my favorite canned luncheon meat. And Holiday is pretty good too. A completely different texture than SPAM. The bits of fat are minuscule compared to SPAM; and makes for a more homogeneous product. Of course all that means is that they grind it just a wee bit finer; blending in the mystery meats a little better.  :O

I NEED SPAM WITH BACON!!! (Yes, I yelled that.)  :D

Cheers!

--------------
MAY THE WIND BE ALWAYS AT YOUR BACK, AND THE PATH ALWAYS RISE UP TO MEET YOUR FEET.
 Post Number: 15
Hikersalike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2014, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Spam is really good. It is the perfect food to bring for a hiking trip. It doesn't spoil easily and it can feed 2 to 3 people. What's amazing is that SPAM has lots of varieties to choose from. You can even pick a healthier option since SPAM has flavors with less fat and salt.
 Post Number: 16
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2014, 7:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ghastly stuff.  My worst backpacking memory as a child was the time when my dad's cousin was in charge of breakfast and my grandma in charge of lunch. The cousin brought pancake mix but nothing to cook it in but the grease left in the pan from the spam that he cooked first.  No syrup or jam...just dry spammy pancakes with a side of spam. And my grandma brought spam and crackers for lunch. I damn near starved over that five days.  Thank goodness my dad was in charge of dinner.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 17
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since Spam became available in Spam Single Classic it has been in our hiking/backpacking food repertoire. We use the Star-Kist Single Serving Albacore Tuna as well. It's easy to eat, no mess, no cooking with minimal weight and the slim profile pack well. It may not be the most nutritious food choice, but on a once in a while basis tastes great.... IMHO.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 9:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(overthehillwalker @ May 08 2014, 3:06 pm)
It's easy to eat, no mess, no cooking with minimal weight and the slim profile pack(s) well.

It's all fat and protien in a small, small package!  What else do you want?

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 19
Sammy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2014, 4:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like Spam, especially with lightly fried Spam between bread  slices with a generous helping of yellow mustard
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2014, 8:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It may not be the most nutritious food choice, but on a once in a while basis tastes great

When compared to what? A rotting carcass when you've been in starvation mode for 2 weeks....?  

Then again, I like scrapple so I'm not sure I can say much.... :laugh:

--------------

Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2014, 9:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ May 28 2014, 8:11 am)

I like you.  You're honest.

--------------
 Post Number: 22
steelhead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2014, 7:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I buy spam on a regular basis..  I suppose I might be nuts via the posts.  On all hikes, spam is one of our dinners.  Salt, meat and fat kick- spam! :)
 Post Number: 23
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2014, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It may not be the most nutritious food choice, but on a once in a while basis tastes great

When compared to what? A rotting carcass when you've been in starvation mode for 2 weeks....?  

Wheree did you eat scrapple? That glorious mystery meat is virtually unknown outside the mid-atlantic I thought.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2014, 9:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JimInMD @ Jun. 07 2014, 6:24 pm)

Wheree did you eat scrapple? That glorious mystery meat is virtually unknown outside the mid-atlantic I thought.

Here for one.
I had my brother bring me 10# when he visited from Portland. They will ship but that costs an extra $20/5#.

Scrapple isn't exactly "mystery meat". It's just that few really want to know what it is....  :p

Edit: BTW,  there are some decent recipes on-line that use production pork sausage rather than the real way to make it.

--------------

Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2014, 10:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, and I didn't really answer your  question.
I'm originally from SW VA in the central Appalachians, descended from Dutch/German on mom's side, the origin of "ponhaus", the real name of scrapple. I grew up eating the "leftover" parts of hogs and didn't think it was odd until I left there and saw people turn green when I mentioned some of the things I ate growing up.
But really no worse than some things people think are gourmet. Like escargot and  raw oysters....

--------------

Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 07 2014, 10:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Listen my friends and you shall see
That the bravest man in eternity
Was neither soldier of fortune or justice of law
But the first to devour an oyster raw"

--------------

Post Number: 27
blue_sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 08 2014, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dorf has posted numerous photos of SPAM from Winds to Beartooths...
The real story with the South Pacific and SPAM goes back to WWll and our military that flooded the islands with the stuff. The GI's altered Europe with white bread, Hersey chocolate, and cigarettes...it the Pacific it was SPAM and a cornucopia of useful debris.
When hiking out into the desert when I was in 5~7th grade, SPAM was a staple. I actually like it fried up leather like, almost crisp with pineapple slices in the same GI mess kit fry pan.
I actually tried SPAM singles when they came out. I won't try that again. With me is first about processed food, then pork production, and finally the weird texture of the stuff.

--------------
"Speak out, though your voice may shake"
 Post Number: 28
gregpphoto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2014, 11:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I visited the Spam museum in Minnesota. Ironically it is in the same town as the Mayo clinic.

Makes no sense to me to bring it camping. Too heavy and expensive. I'll use summer sausage or salami or some other dried meat instead. Put some summer sausage over a campfire OMG, or salami fried up and thrown into a pasta dish is wonderful too.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2014, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just realized something:

TJC needs a SPAM shipment to Butedale!

Let's get together and help the man out.

GBH, you got connections...see if we can dropship some.

--------------
 Post Number: 30
Take a Hike!

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2014, 11:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jun. 18 2014, 10:56 am)
I just realized something:

TJC needs a SPAM shipment to Butedale!

Let's get together and help the man out.

GBH, you got connections...see if we can dropship some.

Aw, shucks!

One can never have too much!  

SPAM, SPAM, SPAM... Klik!

It can be cut into four half inch thick squares, fried up 'till it's crispy on the outside, and it becomes  SPAMburgers! Cut into eight four sided logs, fried up, and it becomes SPAMdogs! Diced and fried and mixed with rice and veggies for a cheap stir-SPAM-fry! Heck, you can even chill it, slice it thin, slap it in between two slices of bread, and it's a SPAMbalogna sandwich!

Nom, nom, nom!   :p

Thanks for the thought TDale! You d'man!

Cheers!  

--------------
30 replies since Apr. 04 2014, 10:19 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Spam, why so popular?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions