2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Healthy Dried Freeze Meals< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
kklepeis Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2014, 11:23 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I understand brands like Mountain House and Backpackers Pantry have the ingredients you need to survive out in the wild, especially for long hikes, but after reading the ingredients list I'm going to try and limit my intake of those brands (I'm sort of a health nut).

I was wondering if there are healthier dried freeze brands out on the market? Without so many bad stuff like modified corn starch, gluten ingredients, etc.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2014, 11:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://hawkvittles.com/

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 3
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2014, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mary Jane's Farm is another fave.
 Post Number: 4
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2014, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Buy a dehydrator and make your own.  Cheaper and healthier.  There are some things I would continue to buy like chicken.  Leave the risky stuff to professionals.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 5
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2014, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Apr. 14 2014, 12:33 pm)
Buy a dehydrator and make your own.  Cheaper and healthier.  

Definitely.  I like being able to eat exactly what I want, in my own portion sizes.
 Post Number: 6
kklepeis Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2014, 2:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some great suggestions, I'll probably check out Mary Jane's Farm first, I am a fan of organics, I'm interested to see what the single servings are like with the Hawk Vittles too.

I'm afraid dehydrating my own food is a little advanced for me as of right now, but it is something I'm def interested in doing eventually.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, keep them coming.
 Post Number: 7
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2014, 2:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kklepeis @ Apr. 14 2014, 2:08 pm)
I'm afraid dehydrating my own food is a little advanced

Don't be!  Almost nothing in life is as easy as dehydrating.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2014, 5:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dehydrating is as easy as pie.  Well, easier than pie.  The instructions go something like this:

1. Open a can of veg-all

2. Drain in colander.

3. Pour on dehydrator tray.

4. Plug in dehydrator.

5. Check regularly until dry.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 9
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2014, 8:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Even easier method of dehydrating veggies is to get a bag of frozen veggies. Just dump on the trays frozen and dehydrate till dry. Go to Trailcooking.com for some great recipes. Fruits are even easier to do, like strawberries slice up and place on trays and dry till done.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 8:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Apr. 14 2014, 5:11 pm)
Dehydrating is as easy as pie.  Well, easier than pie.  The instructions go something like this:

1. Open a can of veg-all

2. Drain in colander.

4. Plug in dehydrator.

This isn't easy... you lost me on the first step. What the hell is "veg-all"?

--------------
 Post Number: 11
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 9:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I tend to use freeze dried veggies simply because the ones I dehydrate myself don't seem to rehydrate enough - the tend to be more crunchy than I like.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 9:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Apr. 16 2014, 8:40 am)

(TDale @ Apr. 14 2014, 5:11 pm)

1. Open a can of veg-all

2. Drain in colander.

4. Plug in dehydrator.

This isn't easy... you lost me on the first step. What the hell is "veg-all"?

Mixed vegetables.  I use them 'cause they're a consistent size dice and dehydrate evenly.

They're a staple in my cabinet.  I keep them, canned chicken, and broth in the kitchen and can have soup in no time.

--------------
 Post Number: 13
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 3:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's funny, I can always find Veg-all out here. Tucked into the corner in the canned veggies :)

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2014, 12:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Must be a regional thing.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2014, 12:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A couple of other brands to look at are Packit Gourmet and Cache Lake.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2014, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Apr. 17 2014, 12:18 pm)
Must be a regional thing.

Sar and I are in opposite corners of the country.  Veg-all is universal.

--------------
 Post Number: 17
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2014, 4:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is what I'd call old-school :D

--------------
 Post Number: 18
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 7:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In the weeks before a trip (pretty much every month) I go to Trader Joes and buy a can of chili, two or three of the Indian boil in bag ready to eat meals, some jasmine rice, some bars, and ingredients for a casserole. I make casseroles for dinner a few nights and dehydrate the leftovers. I dehydrate a bunch of cooked rice, cooked pasta, and pick up a bag of Bob's Red Mill instant potatoes. I pull out the bucket of Harmony House freeze dried veggies. Mix, match, bag in ziplocs, add a snack bag or four of trail mixes and candies and chips. Maybe it's an investment of an hour here and there, but it sure beats a week of preservative lasagna.

There's a lentil and garbanzo veggie mix in the freezer at Trader Joes that's fully cooked - threw a cup of it on the dehydrator tray night before last. In the morning it went in a bag and into the bear can, along with the mac and cheese (cooked and dehydrated the pasta, added Nido to the cheese powder, added a pinch of salt and pepper, tossed in a packet of parm).

These are the sorts of meals I can pack into a Bearikade Weekender and make an eight day trip without having to hang anything.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 19
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 10:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

AT, I've been looking at those boil-in-the-bag Indian meals and wondered how well the dehydrate. Do you dehydrate the whole thing as is or do you strain out the solid stuff and toss the liquid before you dehydrate?

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 20
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2014, 4:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dry the whole thing. Parchment paper works best.

--------------
19 replies since Apr. 14 2014, 11:23 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Healthy Dried Freeze Meals
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions