2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Campfire Dutch Oven ideas?, For a beginner please< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014, 11:31 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This weekend, I'm taking my wife and a few friends camping (car-side) for her birthday.  I'd like to do some campfire dutch oven meals for her.

The only thing I've cooked in it so far are things that didn't require a lot of intricate temperature regulation....soup, chili, a roast....

Anyone got any good ideas for a beginner?
I'd really like to try using it as an actual oven, rather than just a pot.
Are dutch oven biscuits hard to do?  I'd love to try it for breakfast, but don't want to screw them up and end up with nothing decent to eat....
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014, 12:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We made pizza in ours one time. Just put the crust on the bottom and watched it cook for a bit and then added toppings. It did burn some on the bottom, but it tasted great.

The old standard is a box of cake mix, a can of pie filling, and a clear soda (7-up, sprite) to make cake in the dutch oven. Yummy!

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 3
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014, 12:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

google it and you'll find all kinds of recipes. Pick something that sounds easy. One site I have been on even tells you how many pieces of charcoal on top and bottom.
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014, 1:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

ChuckD?  Calling Mr. ChuckD.  Attention:  Would a Mr ChuckD please pick up the white courtesy phone?  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014, 3:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We had an egg strata made in a Dutch Oven last fall - it was delicious!  All the elements of a good breakfast - eggs, meat, cheese and bread!  I don't think you could really screw it up, just pack a box of cold cereal just in case?

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 6
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dutch oven biscuits aren't hard, and pizza works great.  Here's a little info that helps you know how to control the heat, so you can easily adapt just about any recipe to a dutch oven:

http://www.dutchovendude.com/campfire-cooking.shtml

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 7
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 12:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the link ponderosa.
I'm going to try a few different things and report back.
 Post Number: 8
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 12:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

chicken and rice casserole is always a big hit. And brownies too.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 9
bikehikefish Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 2:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Instant hashbrowns with eggs, chopped ham, sliced onion, etc. is good.  Rehydrate the hashbrowns then throw everything else in.  Maybe some cheese on top near the end.

I found the recipe on the Idahoan Hashbrown box.
 Post Number: 10
bikehikefish Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The rule for charcoal that I've seen is two more than the diameter of the dutch oven on top, two less than the diameter below the oven. (12" dutch oven, 14 on top, 10 on bottom).
 Post Number: 11
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 4:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One last question about dutch ovens....no matter how well my cast iron has been seasoned and taken care of, eggs always seem to suck up all the oils and negate the non-stick functionality... anyone else have this trouble?
 Post Number: 12
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 5:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As to the eggs sticking: use a little melted butter or oil before adding the eggs;

Here's a good one, you can replace the tenders with cans of chicken breast, drain the chicken before adding to Dutch oven:

Chicken and Biscuits

Ingredients
1 large onion,
1 red bell pepper
2 teaspoons butter
3 lbs chicken tenders,
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup cream cheese
2  cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 package frozen peas
3  cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
2 tubes refrigerated biscuits

Prep:
Cut chicken into bite size pieces
Dice onion and bell pepper

Cooking Directions
1. Using propane stove: add butter, and chicken, to dutch oven and cook until chicken is browned, then add onion and bell pepper and cook 5 additional minutes
2. Add soup, chicken, milk, peas and cream cheese to Dutch oven and mix well.
3. Put lid on Dutch Oven and add charcoal, 15 on top, 9 beneath. Bake for 15 minutes
4.  Remove lid and sprinkle 2 cups of the cheese over the baked mixture. Place biscuits on top of cheese and sprinkle remaining cheese over biscuits
5. Replace lid and add 6 more pieces of charcoal to top, bake 15 more minutes until biscuits are done.

Here's a temperature guide:

DUTCH OVEN TEMPERATURE GUIDE

Temperature
Oven Charcoal 325 350 375 400 425 450

8" Total 15 16 17 18 19 20
top/bottom 10/5 11/5 11/6 12/6 13/6/ 14/6

10" Total 19 21 23 25 27 29
top/bottom 13/6 14/7 16/7 17/8 18/9 19/10

12" Total 23 25 27 29 31 33
top/bottom 16/7 17/8 18/9 19/10 21/10 22/11

14" Total 30 32 34 36 38 40
top/bottom 20/10 21/11 22/12 24/12 25/13 26/14

If you send me a PM with your email I'll send you more recipes and other stuff  I use when teaching scouts and others how to use a dutch oven

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 13
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 5:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wait!  Sarbar covered this!

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1170684

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 14
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2014, 7:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Biscuits and rolls are easy to do in a DO. I have always just used a pie or cake pan and set it up on three small stones in the DO.
 Post Number: 15
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Apr. 29 2014, 7:27 pm)
Biscuits and rolls are easy to do in a DO. I have always just used a pie or cake pan and set it up on three small stones in the DO.

Sounds like a good idea, but doesn't that sort of negate the benefits of cooking on/in seasoned cast iron?
 Post Number: 16
JasonT2000 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wish that Temp guide came out cleanly. I would use it for our next scout campout.  They boys always seem to think that some charcoal is good and more is better!
 Post Number: 17
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a pre-made pizza crust that fits my oven and load it with toppings to go all Chicago style.

If you can pull off a lasagna (not that hard) you will be a legend.

Gumbo is really easy if you use a box mix instead of making the rue from scratch. I always embellish on the box directions by starting with the chicken and sausage and adding celery, onion, and bell pepper. Chop the veggies at home to save prep time in camp. Add the rue/rice mix and liquids to simmer, then throw in some frozen cocktail shrimp when it is about done. It all depends on how many you need to feed, but this is easy to stretch by adding ingredients.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 18
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2014, 10:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JasonT2000 @ Apr. 30 2014, 12:57 pm)
Wish that Temp guide came out cleanly. I would use it for our next scout campout.  They boys always seem to think that some charcoal is good and more is better!

Send me a PM with your email addy and I'll send it to you

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
17 replies since Apr. 28 2014, 11:31 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Campfire Dutch Oven ideas?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions