2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Man, can we use this!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TDale Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2014, 8:00 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.newyorker.com/reporti....age=all

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2014, 8:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No thank you.  Let us know how it works out for you.  And no, I'm not interested in getting in on the ground floor as a distributor.
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2014, 9:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

18 ounces per day, for 2000 calories.  It would solve storage problems, since one baggie and one bottle of oil would all fit inside a bear canister.  Not sure how one would insure a good mix though.  Refrigeration of mixed product would be impossible, so we would need to be able to mix each 'meal' separately.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 2:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oy.  Vey.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 3:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Call me fussy, but I don't want to chew my water nor do I want to drink my food.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 6
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2014, 4:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ May 06 2014, 3:13 pm)
Call me fussy, but I don't want to chew my water nor do I want to drink my food.

Fussy.

I make coffee you have to chew.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 7
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 7:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ May 06 2014, 1:35 pm)

(tomas @ May 06 2014, 3:13 pm)

Fussy.

I make coffee you have to chew.

I'm okay with chewing my coffee.  Chewing my water, not so much.  And then there are the weeks of farting. . .

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 8
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2014, 7:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not just regular farting, but ones that can cause an evacuation of an auditorium.  Enough to cause people to stay home for weeks, for fear of causing some massive commotion.  Just the thing for outdoor types, yes?  I am particularly fond of the ones that can be heard from over 30 feet away.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 9
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 12:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ May 07 2014, 4:22 pm)
Not just regular farting, but ones that can cause an evacuation of an auditorium.  Enough to cause people to stay home for weeks, for fear of causing some massive commotion.  Just the thing for outdoor types, yes?  I am particularly fond of the ones that can be heard from over 30 feet away.

When backpacking, I don't care how loud.  But when zipped into a small tent in a rainstorm. . . oy.

On a side note, when I bike I seem to inhale a lot of air with my water.  This has led to belching of a sort that literally echoes off the hillsides.  Good thing I usually ride alone :)

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 10
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2014, 11:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seems like we've tried this before.  In the 80's they "discovered" the basic nutrients needed to live, and hypothesized that you could eat empty calories and a Multi-vitamin a day and get the same benefits.  Didn't work out so well.  

I see stuff like this from some well-intentioned Engineering students (having been a former engineer myself).  Not all, but some.  Some of them see a problem, and decide to "solve" it before having any intimate knowledge of the problem itself.  I remember hiking with a bunch of interns from Microsoft (back in my undergrad days when I interned there too).  Just a dayhike in the Cascades outside Seattle.  All software engineers along.  The guy who spoke the most kept going on and on about inventing new technologies for the outdoors, about gadgets and inventions that would supposedly improve the outdoor experience.  He also hiked in street shoes that he never laced up (kept them unlaced like you see kids walking around town), and he had blisters by the end of 5 miles.  He was limping back to the car.  All that talk about inventing things to improve the outdoors, but he never had enough sense to lace up his shoes when he walked a trail.

I see that kinda attitude in this "invention" too.  Doesn't seem to be terribly well thought out, and the whole idea seems rife with unintended consequences.  But... I've been wrong before.  We'll see.  Although I'd bet 10 bucks that this is the last we ever hear about it.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
9 replies since May 05 2014, 8:00 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Man, can we use this!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions