2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Phantom Ranch Food-to-Go, What trail food is available at Phantom?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
CRT Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 09 2011, 12:23 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm planning menus for my first GC corridor hike. I'd love to resupply at Phantom Ranch as I'll be in the canyon for several days. I'm guessing Phantom Ranch resupply is common but haven't seen it addressed. So...
Freeze-dried dinners available?
Fruit available?
Jerky available?
Other items you'd recommend for later days on the trail?

Thanks in advance. Hope to meet you on the trail.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 09 2011, 10:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never seen freeze-dried meals on their board.  No jerkey that I remember but they do have small summer sausages that we actually love.  They have fresh fruit, usually apples and maybe oranges.  They also have bagels and cream cheese.  The rest is mostly packaged trail bars, trail mix, raisins, pretzels, etc., i.e. "snack" type foods.

On itineraries that include Phantom Ranch or Bright Angel campground, we usually have dinner and breakfast in the cantine.  We like to get the summer sausage, bagel + cc and an apple for that day's lunch.  They're heavy, so we usually don't get any extras.

So, we don't really "resupply" at PR but we do save weight by booking meals there and we definitely enjoy the lemonade/beer/wine.  Dinners are fun and, boy, do we appreciate having salad!

We'll be in the Canyon in November but no PR on our itinerary this time.  Have fun!

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 3
swaltemate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 13 2011, 1:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Above poster is correct. The apple sausage and bagel they speak of is the sack lunch but you have to be careful they only make so many each day to sell and believe it or not phantom is pretty busy in the winter months at least while I was their. One thing you could do is mail your food ahead to the ranch contact them for more information but they will hold it for you there's a charge I am sure but not of what it is. We stopped for lemonade and it was great. The beef stew I hear is really good night in the winter it's not so busy but other months you have to have reservations it's probably a good idea to give them a call before you go down so you can make reservations it's a nice warm meal in the middle of your trip.
Last year january I hiked South K to Bright angel then up to Cotton wood. then back up bright angel to Indian garden for the last night. I thought the South K and Bright angel were beautiful the Cottonwood area was okay I would day hike out from Bright angel to Ribbon falls and make that one thing but not stay up the north rim area.
 Post Number: 4
canyon goddess Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 13 2011, 10:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Coffee, hot cocoa, herbal teas, iced tea, lemonade, Glacier Bottled Water, Tecate and Bud beers, wine. BEER CANNOT BE TAKEN OUT OF THE CANTEEN!!!

Peanuts, Oreo cookies, fig bars, plain and peanut M&M's, Snickers, Gum, Lifesavers, Trail Mix, apples, bagels with cream cheese and jelly, summer sausage, Cliff Bars.

Two weeks ago, raisins were crossed off of the menu, but I don't know if they don't have them at all, or if they had run out and hadn't gotten in the new shipment.
 Post Number: 5
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2011, 8:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swaltemate @ Sep. 13 2011, 1:13 pm)
Above poster is correct. The apple sausage and bagel they speak of is the sack lunch but you have to be careful they only make so many each day to sell and believe it or not phantom is pretty busy in the winter months at least while I was their. One thing you could do is mail your food ahead to the ranch contact them for more information but they will hold it for you there's a charge I am sure but not of what it is. We stopped for lemonade and it was great. The beef stew I hear is really good night in the winter it's not so busy but other months you have to have reservations it's probably a good idea to give them a call before you go down so you can make reservations it's a nice warm meal in the middle of your trip.

Yes, they do offer a "sack lunch" which consists of a summer sausage, bagel+cc, apple, raisins, and I think peanuts and cookies (can't remember exactly, sorry.)   Probably too much food for "lunch" for one person; enough for breakfast, lunch and snacks, or to share.

In anycase, all of these items are sold individually and don't have to be ordered ahead of time.  The only thing they ask is that you make purchases *outside* of cantine meal times (cash register won't be staffed.)

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 6
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2011, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is possible to re-supply yourself with your own prepared shipment at Phantom via the mules -- facilitating extensive trips.

Mind, "this is a bus, not a taxi" (got to follow their drill) but I've done this several times about ten years back  --doing trips two weeks long, re-supplying in the middle  -- 30lb, in a reasonably sturdy duffle, up or down for what was then about $50.

I learned this trick from some Alaskans on the shuttle up from Flagstaff -- they were heading in for 3 weeks (mid winter) and I was like "wow, heavy loads". Their reply "No, mules"  :D
 Post Number: 7
cynhikr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2011, 11:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can MAIL yourself a reasonably-sized package @ Phantom.
Your Name c/o "Boatman's mail", Phantom Ranch, PO Box 1266, Grand Canyon, AZ 86023
There is also a free 'hiker box' there, but will be a crap-shoot as to its contents. Ask at the canteen.
But if you want just freeze dried meals & jerky, its weight is neglible - I'd just carry down the extra 3-4 lbs.

--------------
“Why work hard and save money and then die before you have a chance to enjoy the things for which you have been saving it? The very idea is insane.”
Ted Trueblood (1913 - 1982)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
Highwater Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2011, 4:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hiked down there back in 79 or 80 and we were shocked when we passed a guy in a little crevice who shouted down to us after we passed him that "there's beer at the bottom." haha When we finished our dip into the Colorado, we heard the signal for "last call." We rushed over but they wouldn't let us in! I think it was 4 or 5 pm and we were soooo looking forward to a cold one. So the guy who had called to us came up with a plan. We would say we worked as maids at a hotel up top so we could go to the back employee's entrance and buy beers for 50 cents each. We had to sit out back on the employee's picnic table to drink them. Never tasted so good. :)

--------------
live modestly and prepare for inclement weather.
My Webpage Highwater Filters
 Post Number: 9
CRT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2011, 10:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just returned from an OUTSTANDING GC trip!! Thanks for all the info on Phantom Ranch resupply ideas.

The cold beer, fresh apples and (sorta fresh) bagels were a welcome addition to my menus. I'd have to agree that the summer sausage they sell is quite tasty.

A trip highlight was a scramble up Phantom Creek canyon....what a great experience. If you have the skills and time (and the weather permits), it's a great excursion.

A trip lowlight was someone's poop and TP right on the Bright Angel trail. I'd like to think that no one who reads these posts would EVER be such a jerk.

Happy Trails and thanks again for the info.
 Post Number: 10
SeanOfEarth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 12:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cynhikr @ Sep. 14 2011, 11:04 pm)
You can MAIL yourself a reasonably-sized package @ Phantom.
Your Name c/o "Boatman's mail", Phantom Ranch, PO Box 1266, Grand Canyon, AZ 86023
There is also a free 'hiker box' there, but will be a crap-shoot as to its contents. Ask at the canteen.
But if you want just freeze dried meals & jerky, its weight is neglible - I'd just carry down the extra 3-4 lbs.

Update regarding Boatman's Mail at Phantom Ranch for food drops.

First, thank you, this topic helped us cement a food drop strategy for a Grand View to Hermit's (with some off trail in between) without going back up to the rim. Having hiked in the Canyon for the first time, I am sure I would not want to go up and back for food, even in April, that is a pretty hot push for a Mainer like myself.

The "Boatman's Mail" worked great - We had a package waiting for each of the three of us on April 5th when we passed through Phantom Ranch.

The Bad news is that Xanterra posted a letter on the top of the "River Mail" box saying they were discontinuing this service on April 15 th 2013.

I can't say for sure they will go through with this - Be warned though and consider contacting Xanterra before committing. The letter states that packages will be marked return to sender. In our case we would have learned the hard way as we went on the trail just after sending them.

There were an awful lot of food drops in the large plywood river mail box, hopefully they will reverse decision on this. If they do, a couple other notes - The plywood box is out back in a storage area marked river mail, the staff does not tend to it. It may be largely water proof but was clearly not rodent proof and many of the packages were chewed into. Scent proof your food. Also, there is no garbage disposal at phantom ranch, so whatever packaging you ship in will go out on your back. We were able to strike a financial deal with someone sending a burro-sack up to the top thankfully, but it was coincidence that that opportunity came up.

As far as food in the Ranch - The stew dinner was outstanding. One of us got a bag lunch but it was all prepackaged shelf stable stuff that you would have carried or sent yourself anyways - Less the apple.

Our back-up plan if our food-drop wasn't there was to just buy what they offered at phantom ranch. It would have been tough to make that work though, selection was pretty limited for calorie dense things you would carry. Would have meant a lot of fig bars and cookies.

They had cans of Bud, Tecate and Grand Canyon Wheat - As a beer snob, Bud was ultimately the best of that lot. We enjoyed as may as we could between 8-10 when the "Beer Hall" was in designated session. It's closed during meals including 4-8pm. No beer allowed to be taken back outside.

FYI - The walk from Phantom Ranch to Bright Angel camps is reported by NPS to be about a half mile but it's really like 1 or 2 tenths of nearly paved flat track.

There is piped in drinking water and bathrooms with running water everywhere.

The hiker box is actually an ammo can on the Ranger's porch, but it had little in it before we added a handful of things.

The burro sack is a viable but expensive option, we saw this mule-train coming in and out. Looks like they toss unattended deliveries under the scale platform out back of the ranch hall. If you are a couple days removed from arranging this - Consider rodent proofing your food.

Sorry to be the bearer of this news on the River Mail - Please check it out carefully now in this light, before you attempt to use it.  :(  I was thankful to not have to carry food for the whole trip, especially on the nights we have to carry 20 extra pounds of water into a dry camp. Space alone, was worth the trouble.
9 replies since Sep. 09 2011, 12:23 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Phantom Ranch Food-to-Go
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions