2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: A suggestion to forum users, Avoiding ambiguity< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2012, 4:03 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wheeler Peak or Wheeler Peak?

Kennedy Meadows or Kennedy Meadows?

Red Rock Canyon or Red Rock Canyon?

White Mountains or White Mountains?

The Southwest forum covers six states, each of which covers a whole lot of terrritory in its own right. People who are intimately familiar with their own area probably don't know a lot of the other areas all that well.  And as we see from the examples above, a lot of geographical names are used in a lot of different places (don't even get me started on "Granite Lake").  

So my suggestion is this: unless you're asking about someplace instantly recognizable (Grand Canyon, Yosemite, e.g.), try to include a state and/or area identification in your title or description (e.g., "White Mountains (CA)" or "White Mountains (AZ)"; "Kennedy Meadows (CA)", "Domelands" or "Sonora Pass" in description).  This will make it more helpful to other users, and make it more likely that you'll get the information you're looking for (if you're requesting info).  Plus, you'll (probably) avoid all those pesky questions like "which Grouse Lake are you talking about?"  :;):

Thanks,
Tom

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2012, 9:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree.  I have my own seemingly endless list of redundant place names, most of them being duplicated within a state and some even within the same district of a National Forest.  My favorite indeterminate place name is "Rock Creek".
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
whistlepunk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2012, 10:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have 3 Blue Lakes within an hour drive.  :-)
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2012, 10:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oregon has a Bear Creek in just about every county.  This place must've had more than a few bears back then.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2012, 10:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Jan. 23 2012, 10:28 pm)
Oregon has a Bear Creek in just about every county.  

Bear anything is popular all over:  Bear Spring, Bear Swamp, Bear Mountain  ...
 Post Number: 6
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2012, 12:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good luck. I've been preaching about this for 13 years.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2012, 12:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Jan. 24 2012, 12:05 am)

You never know when a good idea is finally going to catch on.   :)
 Post Number: 8
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2012, 8:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

California should have its own forum - it's not the same as the rest of the southwest and that would clear up most of the problems. People who know there are two Wheeler Peaks aren't asking the questions.
 Post Number: 9
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2012, 9:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, I agree, CA should have its own forum - not that I don't enjoy reading about other SW states

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2012, 12:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jan. 23 2012, 9:56 pm)

(desert dweller @ Jan. 24 2012, 12:05 am)

You never know when a good idea is finally going to catch on.   :)

Also, people come and go.  I figure there are enough here who haven't seen dd's sermons on the topic (I have, and obviously agree) to make it worth reiterating.

And yes, California should probably have its own forum...but until that point, and even after, more clarity is always better.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 11
Highwater Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2012, 12:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Jan. 23 2012, 7:28 pm)
Oregon has a Bear Creek in just about every county.  This place must've had more than a few bears back then.  

I lived on Bear Creek Rd. but they changed the name to Black Bear Way when they eliminated redundancy in my county. The other Bear Creek Rd must have had more influential residents.  :angry:

--------------
live modestly and prepare for inclement weather.
My Webpage Highwater Filters
 Post Number: 12
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2012, 10:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is a post in the Trailhead Register about mileage at Pictured Rocks. I was tempted to respond with information about Picture Rocks, outside of Tucson. But, I was a good boy and held my tongue.

I agree either California should have its own page or it should be split. Southern California can be in the Southwest forum and northern California could be in the Pacific northwest forum.

Texas should be in the mid-west forum, not the southwest forum.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 13
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2012, 12:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Twin Lakes
Rock Creek
Muir Pass
Mt. Morgan
Etc.
 Post Number: 14
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2012, 3:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

!@#$ Kahliphonia. Get rid of it, its taking up space.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 15
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2012, 4:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Feb. 03 2012, 12:22 pm)
!@#$ Kahliphonia. Get rid of it, its taking up space.

Hey! Without California there's nothing to keep flyover country from dropping into the Pacific. Not that there'd be anything wrong with that....
 Post Number: 16
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2012, 11:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Excellent point.  Now could you give me some information on hiking in the Rock Creek area?

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 17
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2012, 12:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Feb. 13 2012, 8:20 am)
Excellent point.  Now could you give me some information on hiking in the Rock Creek area?

Make sure to wear boots at the fords: the gold nuggets littering the bottom hurt your feet otherwise.
 Post Number: 18
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2012, 1:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Feb. 13 2012, 9:20 am)

No problem there. Rock Creek is dry.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2012, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Feb. 13 2012, 8:20 am)

The one near Bear Creek, or the one near Granite Lake?

--------------
 Post Number: 20
edkras1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2012, 9:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe the one near Bald Mountain or Mirror Lake.
 Post Number: 21
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 1:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I was a betting person ...

How are we going to convince people to be more specific when most are afraid to write in complete sentences.  And in the case when someone does write complete sentences and a complete description of what they are referencing, many people will only skim read it which is evident from reading replies.

My guess is dd will still be preaching this 13 years from now.

Rumi~the wordy~Dude

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
20 replies since Jan. 23 2012, 4:03 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply A suggestion to forum users
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions