2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Winter Backpacking Yosemite< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
lesper4 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 31 2012, 4:08 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A few of my buddies and I are planning our frist winter backpacking trip. We are experianced backpackers. We have done backpacking before in the winter (not prepared). We went from TM to Happy Isles two years ago when we had that big snow season, aroud June 1. We have mrico spikes and ice axes and we just got snowshoes. We are going to try out the snowshoes as soon as possible in our local mountains (South Fork-San Gabriels,  San Jacinto). I hope to hit up one of the local Meet-up groups as well.

My question is, we are hoping to hike around the Glacier Point area. Are these trails doable in the winter, I see that most are specificaly for that but I am not sure obout the trail enter/exit points.
Our options are:
-Insperation Point to Happy Isles (along the rim)
-Badger Pass to Happy Isles (along the rim)
-Badger Pass loop (along the rim and back on the road)

...and the distance for those routes are, given slower moving and less daylight hours:
-5/8/8 miles
-6.4/8/8 miles
-6.4/8/10 miles
The main point of the trip is to get out there an experiance winter, hit Dewey Point and sleep at glacier point and watch the sun set/rise on half dome.

Besides the route is there a basic time when there will be enough snow up there or when there might be less storms? Obviosuly we will be checking the weather. We were hoping for December? Lastly when and how do the buses run in Yosemite, do they go to Badger Pass?

Thanks,
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 31 2012, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's the bus schedule:
http://www.yosemitepark.com/badger-shuttle-schedule.aspx

There's also a Glacier Point Ski Hut:
http://www.yosemitepark.com/GlacierPointHutTrips_SelfGuided.aspx

I don't think there'd be a safe route down to Happy Isles from Glacier Point, the Panorama cliffs would be a nasty barrier once any measure of significant snow had fallen. (That may actually be a trail the park service explicitly closes like they do the Four Mile for that reason though that's not mentioned here).

What about up Snow Creek to Tenaya etc? Classic winter route.

The one thing that's more of a courtesy than rule is where there are set ski tracks that snowshoers use a separate path. IIRC on the Glacier Point Road both are provided for.

There's also out towards the Ostrander hut:
http://www.yosemiteconservancy.org/experie....ex
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 31 2012, 5:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great thanks for the link, there is some stuff in there that I was not aware of.

The only reason I suggest Happy Isles is that when you look at the two Yosemite maps (you link to one of them) it shoes some trails that are closed in the winter but it does not say that for all of them. I was thinking they may get more sun or less snow or it is safer?

As for the other routes I will look into them but I was really hoping to look down into the valley, are any of those more busy then others?
 Post Number: 4
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 31 2012, 7:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You might also look at the trail that goes from the Glacier POint road at sentinel Dome down to Dewey Point.  That would give you some great views, and I think you can camp where the trail crosses Bridalveil creek (bridge) or near Dewey Point itself.

Spectacular views.

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2012, 1:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

@ Balzaccom, I think we are talking about the same route, just backwards.

@ High Sierra Fan, Snow Creek to Tenaya would be nice but doesnt 120 close? Ostrander would be nice but does it have the same views?
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2012, 1:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes 120 closes but the trailhead is in the Valley.... I didn't mean to imply Tenaya would be an exit, simply a destination along the way for whatever route you wanted including an out and back. Perhaps rather than Tenaya and Tuolumne the north rim and out down Yosemite Falls.

A more unique route in Winter would be the Mariposa Grove.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/mgrove-winter.pdf
 Post Number: 7
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2012, 10:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The way the weather patterns run, I would wait until February/March to do this. Snow will be settled and deep (hopefully, crossing my fingers!)

If all you do is Dewey Point an ice axe is overkill. You can snowshoe any slope on that route.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2012, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So December is too early? OK well at least that will give us more time to practice and make the time frame between our other trips not as far apart.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2012, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The North Rim does sound nice as well but i think we were saving that for another time or even another winter trip.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 4:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Balzaccom or Anyone...

...With winter now upon us I going to stat refining the details on our trip. We want to go from: Badger Pass->Taft Point->Galcier Point->Badger Pass (in that order or even reverse). According to the maps I have seen there is no definied trail along the rim in the winter or is there? Most people seem to go out and back to either Dewey Point or Glacier point. I want to make this a loop. We have a GPS that we could load coordiantes in which would help with way winding along the ridge. Any suggestions? thanks.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 5:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since that's all designated wilderness the Pohono Trail isn't groomed like the road is if that's what you're asking about.

Here's the Glacier Point winter trails brochure:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/badger-winter.pdf

The Pohono's gps coordinates are around various places: IIRC Backpacker.com has them somewhere... or simply run the route on your gps units desktop software and download it into the unit.... frankly I'd do that even were you planning on using the road: one good couple feet dump and the road is gone except as a somewhat more open flat place in the trees.....
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 6:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah that is the plan. OK that sounds like I will do that, after all breaking trail is one of the best parts!
 Post Number: 13
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 10:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've hiked that area a lot, but only in the summer.  I would just suggest that you not try to stay too close to the rim.  There are deep canyons to cross, and you may find yourself doing a lot of back and forth to get around them.

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 11:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(lesper4 @ Nov. 12 2012, 4:35 pm)
Balzaccom or Anyone...

...With winter now upon us I going to stat refining the details on our trip. We want to go from: Badger Pass->Taft Point->Galcier Point->Badger Pass (in that order or even reverse). According to the maps I have seen there is no definied trail along the rim in the winter or is there? Most people seem to go out and back to either Dewey Point or Glacier point. I want to make this a loop. We have a GPS that we could load coordiantes in which would help with way winding along the ridge. Any suggestions? thanks.

People who go to Glacier Point have skis or several intervening campsites - it is a LONG snowshoe. You won't make Taft in a single day.

The winter trails are different - they are defined by flagging in the trees, or by the road (groomed) itself. I do not think the Pohono trail is flagged all the way from Dewey to Taft. You will have a major downclimb to Bridalveil Creek, and if the snow is deep enough it'll make crossing an interesting adventure. Then you will slog back up out of that canyon and continue north.

I don't know what GPS you are thinking of using but battery operated devices in winter (when the margin of error is extremely slim) need to be backed up by solid map and compass skills. Which you need anyway to properly use a GPS.

Most people go to Dewey and back because that is relatively short and therefore safer. Glacier is also safer because it does not involve tons of cross country - you go out the road. Going cross country and trying to do so along the Pohono trail is another thing - there will be creek crossings (dangerous if the creeks are under snow, and if not, brrrrrrrr - how are you going to manage that one?), and if traveling close to the rim, other hazards may be similar to snow bridges - there are gullies and areas between large rocks along the rim that would be tricky in snow obscuring them.

Top that with the requirement that you use WAG bags (they hand these out at the A frame at Badger when you get the permit) and the fact that beginners shouldn't be planning long cross country snow trips without A) a guide or experienced winter mountaineer AND B) the right gear (newbies have trouble sorting that one out) - I would suggest doing Mariposa Grove. No dropoffs, no stream crossings, no complicated cross country navigation. Or, go to the Ostrander Hut. You don't need to stay in the hut, but there's a staff member there, and if you get in trouble it's a resource.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 12:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had thought of the Ostrander Hut and would second it. It's even loopable. Mariposa Gtove is wonderful on a deep winter's night.

Got a target lock vibe so I left off.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 1:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have a Garmin 62S and we will have a topo map with the trails and a compass. There is 3-4 in our party and each will carry spare batteries (and fuel). We have hiked cross country before (without gear) from somewhere near Vogalsang Camp down to Merced Lake all via maps with no GPS and heavy snow around the lakes and over streams. We are cautious and take our time.

Taft Point is 5.5 miles, not doable in a day? I figure get as close to it as possible. The next day go to Glacier Point and the final day take the road all the way back. There is a bridge at Bridalveil Creek so really the only concern is Sentinel Creek? Worst case, head ESE and you hit the road again after Taft point.

If Pohono runs close to the rim I have no trouble hiking 300 yards or more back from the edge. Our highlights are the campsites not necessarily the trail. The down/up climb at Bridalveil only looks to be 600 each way. I am a strong hiker and will be doing most of the hard work for the group. FYI We are not going to Dewey Point as it is out of the way. Wag bags again, I dislike those.

I take all your words of caution as that is one reason why I am on all these forums. To get advice, check conditions and past trip reports. I will ask the others about the other loops.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The amount of snow the Sierra can get surprises many visitors:
http://www.sfgate.com/green....945.php

A storm can drop 4 or 5 feet in one go and that unconsolidated snowpack, compared to late spring hardpack, can make progress quite a chore if possible at all. I've run off the Glacier Point road when "failing to negotiate a curve" and having crashed off in the trees found there was no "bottom" to my pushed down ski pole and to leverage myself upright I had to cross poles and work hard at it, granted not helped by wearing a winter pack.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 1:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Taft Point is 5.5 miles from where? as the crow flies from Badger, maybe. Doesn't sound like a fun snowshoe to me. Dewey is four miles along the ridge, it's likely another four minimum from there if you're going to follow the Pohono at all, more if you veer away from the rim to avoid potential dropoffs.

You think the bridge will be visible to you? Do you know for sure there will be so little snow? If you can see the bridge there may not be enough snow to really snowshoe.

Hmmm....

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 3:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well right now there is only 12" or less.  I dont aim to go after a big storm. I was at Mammoth last year when they were supposed to get 18" and then ended up getting 3ft plus another 2 feet durning the day. Not fun at all. So I know exactly what you mean. I will watch carefully and take in to account all my parties. If we get soem snow adn then a holding pattern that is ideal but there is no need to push it as we have local mountains to satisfy our needs till then.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 3:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On an unrelated note which route did you take down from Vogelsang?
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Remember that everything is variable - if it says there are only 12" of snow, I wouldn't consider that a real winter trip. It's just #$%$^ annoying slushy crud that's a pain to walk in. Barely enough to need the float of a snowshoe. There'll be patches of mud and snow all over. Frustrating as heck - you need snowshoes for five minutes here and there, maybe, and not at all for a while, and then a drift... this was last winter's problem.

The deeper the snow, the better the shoe-ing. Once the big storms hit (in a normal year) there will be up to 12 feet of snow that will stick and stay until the melting in spring. Now that is nice snowshoeing. Scenic. Don't forget your shovel.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Snow saw for making blocks!

Badger Pass' numbers will be informative:
http://www.yosemitepark.com/DailySnowReport.aspx
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ey EY "Almost There". I do have a snow shovel. Deffinitly waiting for more snow. Badger Pass website is slow, there facbook page is more up-to-date.

@HighSierraFan, we came down Merced River via Emeric and Fletcher Creeks.We camped just below the HS camp unknowingly 3-5 ft of snow. We were on trial somwehere below Tolumne Pass via the tree parking but ddint see the trail again until below Emeric Lake.
 Post Number: 24
frogleg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 10:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was considering a snowshow+backcountry camping trip to Yosemite in two weeks, would someone have a fair estimate on what snow conditions might be like, or website they favour for checking?
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 11:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Other than the obvious NPS.gov park webpages I like the CDEC sensor output reports:
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/staMeta?station_id=TUM

Which is currently showing a tad over four feet of snow depth for the meadows.

The other decent resource is the park's Facebook page. Questions there get answered, though not necessarily rapidly (I gather the page is not anyone's fulltime job).

http://www.facebook.com/YosemiteNPS

What routes were you considering (snow is still fairly high elevation with the trail to Little Yosemite valley still clear for instance).
Glacier Point
http://www.nps.gov/yose....=134994

and the Mariposa Grove
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/mgrove-winter.pdf are two options.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 4:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where TM got 4ft Badger Pass seemed to melt off some. Not sure how much compared to their reports. Glacier Point road is closed but I dont know how much they have. In looking at Yosemite's facbook pictues and dates it looks as though my trip maybe pushed out towards the end of wtiner.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 4:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Badger might have been just below the snow/rain line.

Later on does tend to be more reliable. I've had better skiing in November than December of many years. The reason why they hold the Nordic Holiday in late February to early March from what I understand.
http://www.yosemitepark.com/nordic-holiday-race.aspx
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 3:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Snow has deffinitly setteled in and I have gone on a few pratice day hikes up in the San Gabriels. Now we just need the weather pattern to hold for a bit.
 Post Number: 29
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have skied to glacier pt a couple of times on the road...and done parts of the trail. Was a blast. If the trail is too much come back out to the road....

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2013, 4:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well we were supposed to do this trip the beginning of this month but I got the flu and since I was the organizer it didnt happen. We rescehduled the trip for the end of this month. Now I hear that Badger Pass only has 24-36" of base and it is melting fast. Do you think the route will still be doable in snow shoes (this is still a week away)? What other trails might we consider (higher up if necessary) since the snow is melting so fast. I would say something off of 395 but part of our party is coming from the Bay area which makes that basically impossable for them.
39 replies since Aug. 31 2012, 4:08 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Winter Backpacking Yosemite
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions