2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Grand Canyon Hike< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TomekD Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 13 2012, 7:21 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi,

I'm heading to Phoenix for a conference and wanted to do a nice hike in the GC. This is my first visit to GC -- it's been quite a while since I've travelled to the US... Any recommendations? Have been thinking about Kaibab to Bright Angel.

I'll be going between 7-8Oct -- anybody wants to join?

Cheers,
-Tom
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Indytechnerd Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 13 2012, 9:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How much time do you have to spend at the canyon?  Single day?  Weekend?  Also, keep in mind that GCNP is 4.5hrs drive from PHX.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2012, 4:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm landing on 6Oct round 1500. Thinking of driving to the GC that afternoon and go on the trail next day early morning. I think of going back to Phoenix on 9Oct morning.

BTW, is there any shelters available at the bottom or should I bring my own tent?

Thanks for any tips. Cheers,
-Tom
 Post Number: 4
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2012, 7:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you're planning to camp below the rim, you need a backcountry permit:
http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/backcountry-permit.htm

The October permit lottery was June 1st and I'm sure they're all gone.  It's one of the most popular months to hike in the Canyon.  You can read about walk-up permits in the link above but be aware that they don't set aside many of those (unlike places like Yosemite.)  For a walk-up permit in October, you'll need a few days of waiting to secure one (see the wait-list procedure outlined in the link.)

The "shelter at the bottom" would be Phantom Ranch.  There's a canteen, a few dorm buildings and some smaller cabins.  October 2012 reservations opened on Ooctober 1, 2011 and I'm guessing it took an hour for them to be sold out.  You can call Xanterra (www.grandcanyonlodges.com) to check for cancellations.  If you have a PR reservation, you don't need a backcountry permit.

A word of warning -- rangers check for permits every night and PR doesn't set aside any walk-up spots.  If you arrive at the bottom without one, they do expect you to turn around and hike right back out.

There are some good dayhikes in the Canyon.  They won't necessarily get you to the bottom but are well-worthwhile anyway.  Check out Horseshoe Mesa and Plateau Point.  Some people do a rim-to-river in a day.  Be aware of the elevation changes -- these are BIG hikes.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 5
Indytechnerd Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2012, 9:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, what TigerFan said.  It would truly suck to get dinged for no permit at BAC.  

Having said that, if you wanna do the tourist-y thing, there are a ton of neat hikes to be had.  Bright Angel to the 3-mile and back would be nice.  South Kaibab to Cedar Ridge gets some neat views of the canyon (1.5mi each way).  Keep in mind both of those spots are about 2000' below the rim.  If you're feeling froggy, Indian Gardens is about 4.5mi out on the Bright Angel, 3k feet down.  Anything beyond those and you're stretching my definition of a tourist-y hike.

One that I forgot...I think we are going to venture out on the Hermit Trail a ways on Monday, looks to be fun.
 Post Number: 6
starwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2012, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is a long hike along the east rim that I like.  It starts at Desert View and ends up above the confluence of the Colorado and Little Colorado Rivers.  It isn't physically taxing, but you still had better take wate with you.  I doubt there would be any problem with getting a permit over there.  I've never seen a person over there.

--------------
"Straight paths made by man
Are unnatural and full of curses
But a trail is a song."

Louis Oliver (Creek Indian poet)
"Songs on Winding Trails"
in Chasers of the Sun
 Post Number: 7
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2012, 1:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Grand View Trail will use up a full day getting to Horseshoe Mesa and poking around the springs and prospects.  Oldest (white man) trail in the canyon, wonderfully engineered with good views almost every step.  Take plenty of water, a hat, sunglasses, UV protection, long sleeve shirt.  You can spend the night in the park hotel for a bit of luxury (at a price), food and sleeping - plus a night cap.  Then do a portion of the 'tourist' routes (Kaibab/Bright Angel) the next day before heading home.

For the 'make it gentle' challenged, you can leave Phoenix at 4AM get in a day's worth of hiking and back to your rooms in Phoenix before midnight.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2012, 9:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the tips, Guys!

I heard of those permits but haven't got a chance to dive into the topic yet. I've done hikes before where I ascended and descended 1.5kms in one day (http://www.doc.govt.nz/upload....ile.pdf, between Brod Bay and Iris Burn Hut, took me 2.5 day for the whole track) but considering that I'll be flying in from Australia, serious jetlag may negatively impact my abilities to hike. I guess I'll have to settle for two one day hikes.

I'd love to get to the bottom of the GC but if there's a chance I get kicked out then I'll have to plan for something else... Unless I get the permit. Seems like it's about time to get in touch with somebody at the Park Office.

Thanks again Guys!
-Tom
 Post Number: 9
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2012, 8:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TomekD @ Sep. 14 2012, 9:43 pm)
Seems like it's about time to get in touch with somebody at the Park Office.

You can contact them by email at grca_bic@nps.gov.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
8 replies since Sep. 13 2012, 7:21 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Grand Canyon Hike
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions