2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Gearlist for GCNP, Rim to River - 9/17/12< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Indytechnerd Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 13 2012, 10:38 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Trip:
Monday - Fly to PHX, visit Sedona, sleep at the Maswik
Tuesday - Down the South Kaibab to BAC
Wednesday - Visit Ribbon Falls, eat dinner at Phantom Ranch
Thursday - Up the Bright Angel, back to PHX
Friday - Back home to Indiana

The Gear:
Pack - Teton Sports Outfitter 4600
Tent - Eureka Isis Solo BPing Tent
Bag - Gander Mountain Fleece Bag/Liner w/ small travel pillow
Pad - Alps Mountaineering Lightweight Series, size regular
Poles - 2x Coleman Trekking poles from Target (good reviews on several sites)

Water -
70oz Camelbak bladder
32oz Nalgene bottle

Clothing (packed, only for W/TH)-
2x C9 by Champion Tech T-shirts
2x Wigwam Terrain Trax Pro socks
1x Nike Dryfit shorts, liner removed (sleeping)
1x LS Cotton T-shirt (sleeping)
2x C9 by Champion extra-long boxer briefs

Food & Kit -
Ditty bag w/ contact stuff, glasses, & toothbrush/paste
Mini FAK (ibuprofen & meds, moleskin, some bandaids, body glide)
Camp Mug
Plastic Spork
2x Mountain House Breakfast Pouches
3x Mountain House Entree Pouches
2x Clif Bars (on-trail snacks)
6x Clif Shots Gels (on-trail quick energy)
4oz powdered gatorade for the return trail
4oz of brown tasty distilled grownup beverage

So, am I forgetting anything....
Using generous estimates for clothing weight and food weight, I'm coming in at about 25lbs for the pack, dropping as I consume water.  No major purchases or gear swaps unless it's an overwhelming goof on my part.  Also, I'm not interested in hearing how I'd be better off with a $300 Tarp Tent.  That's a conversation for another day.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 13 2012, 10:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think it looks pretty good.  Rim-to-river in warm weather is pretty straightforward gear-wise.  Only thing I see is that you have a lot of food for a 2-nighter with dinner at PR.  Keep in mind that you can get goodies like bagels, cream cheese, fresh fruit and beer/wine at the Canteen.

You might want a hat, sunglasses, sunblock for South Kaibab this time of year.  And I do always recommend backup water treatment.

No camera?

Have a great hike!  It's my favorite place.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 13 2012, 11:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Sep. 13 2012, 10:58 am)
I think it looks pretty good.  Rim-to-river in warm weather is pretty straightforward gear-wise.  Only thing I see is that you have a lot of food for a 2-nighter with dinner at PR.  Keep in mind that you can get goodies like bagels, cream cheese, fresh fruit and beer/wine at the Canteen.

You might want a hat, sunglasses, sunblock for South Kaibab this time of year.  And I do always recommend backup water treatment.

No camera?

On food:  You're right, that's more than I need, especially since the MH meals are so big.  Breakfasts are good to go, entrees can be (and have been) shared.  I am almost sure I'll bring one of those entrees back up.

Hat and Sunglasses are covered, but not in the pack.  I have 2 Outdoor Research hats, one wide brim (see my avatar), and one of the 'Swift' ball cap style.  Both will go to AZ with me, 50/50 chance as to which goes to the bottom.  Sunglasses are never farther than arm's reach, Oakley Half Jackets in the darkest tint available.

I've got a small sunscreen tube and a bottle of aqua tabs, they'll go in the FAK.

Camera?  This is exactly why I posted the list.  Thanks!  :D   Anyway, the camera isn't ready to go because it's currently on vacation with my wife.

Of note, there is no stove, that's being provided by my hiking buddy.
 Post Number: 4
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2012, 11:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are lots of lists in the Gear forum. Most include big knives, which I've never needed.

You need easy stuff for lunch, like trail mix, bagels & cheese sticks, maybe pepperoni slices. I've never wanted a Mountain House meal for lunch.

Your pack is too big for a 2-night trip. Go with it but consider finding a lighter, smaller pack for short trips in the future.

Fleece bags are bulkier and heavier than a light 40 degree bag (my 20 degree down bag is lighter and smaller than my fleece bag).

You won't need to treat water on the main corridor trails, but you won't notice a bottle of aqua tabs - you'll be glad you have them someday.

There is not a more rookie move than carying extra underwear, but whatever floats your boat...
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2012, 3:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toejam @ Sep. 15 2012, 11:32 am)
There are lots of lists in the Gear forum. Most include big knives, which I've never needed.

You need easy stuff for lunch, like trail mix, bagels & cheese sticks, maybe pepperoni slices. I've never wanted a Mountain House meal for lunch.

Your pack is too big for a 2-night trip. Go with it but consider finding a lighter, smaller pack for short trips in the future.

Fleece bags are bulkier and heavier than a light 40 degree bag (my 20 degree down bag is lighter and smaller than my fleece bag).

You won't need to treat water on the main corridor trails, but you won't notice a bottle of aqua tabs - you'll be glad you have them someday.

There is not a more rookie move than carying extra underwear, but whatever floats your boat...

What's your definition of "extra"?  My list has a clean pair of skivvies and socks every day, no more, no less.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2012, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Indytechnerd @ Sep. 16 2012, 3:23 pm)
What's your definition of "extra"?  My list has a clean pair of skivvies and socks every day, no more, no less.

I don't think I realized that your clothes list doesn't include what you're wearing.

For 3-days in warm weather, I only take one extra top.  I rinse out the one I wore that day and wear the clean one to sleep, then I just hike in it the next day.  Repeat the ritual that night.  If nights are cool, I take a long-sleeve baselayer just for sleeping in.

No soap in the Canyon.  I wear merino T's and they rinse out nicely.

I'd probably take one change of socks but if you rinsed them out at night, they'd probably dry by morning in the Canyon this time of year.  Two extra pairs would be overkill, imo.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2012, 2:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Indytechnerd @ Sep. 16 2012, 3:23 pm)

(toejam @ Sep. 15 2012, 11:32 am)

Like I said... Backpacking is living in the dirt. The best you can do is an occasional rinse in a lake or stream, baby wipe baths, and hand sanitizer to keep from getting sick. Changing your underwear everyday is pointless when everything else is dirty, and carrying extra anything on your back is really pointless. So my definition of extra underwear is anything I'm not wearing.

Simplify. Be free. You'll figure it out.  :D
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2012, 9:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ah, the lessons learned.  After a couple days back in civilization, I'm already looking at ways to pare down my gear.  Having said that, I  have to pat myself on the back a little bit because we shaved 1:20 off our previous time coming up the Bright Angel.

Next time, instead of extra socks and whatever, I'll just take a swimsuit and go plop down in Bright Angel Creek and do some "laundry".
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2012, 10:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Indytechnerd @ Sep. 26 2012, 9:10 am)
Ah, the lessons learned.  After a couple days back in civilization, I'm already looking at ways to pare down my gear.  Having said that, I  have to pat myself on the back a little bit because we shaved 1:20 off our previous time coming up the Bright Angel.

Next time, instead of extra socks and whatever, I'll just take a swimsuit and go plop down in Bright Angel Creek and do some "laundry".

Yes, I wasn't all that interested in UL backpacking until I got hooked on the Grand Canyon.   :)

Two things most often sworn at the trailhead are "I'm taking a LOT less stuff next time" and "I'm never doing this in summer again".

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2012, 8:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad you had a good trip.
9 replies since Sep. 13 2012, 10:38 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Gearlist for GCNP
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions