2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: John Muir Trail< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Painter Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2012, 1:52 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I completed the JMT on August 27 after 18 days of walking and two zero days.

Firstly I'd like to say a big thanks to many of you who gave such good advice and were so helpful. (larrys, your suggestion to stay at MTR helped me to make one of the best decisions of the trip.)

So a short trip report and then a few pictures.

I started on August 7th from Happy Isles. Even though I had trained a bit for this trip the hike out of Yosemite Valley was a tough one. From then on I hiked anywhere from 8 miles one day to 23 another depending on where I wanted to camp for the evening.

Weather for the most part was gorgeous although I did run into a few thunderstorms. I got caught in a really nasty one while crossing Silver Pass.

I met some wonderful people. I noticed that hikers were spread out for the first hundred miles or so and that we traveled more as a pack for the Southern half. Not sure why it works out that way.

Muir Trail Ranch is fantastic. I cannot say enough about how much I enjoyed my two nights there. The staff was friendly and extremely helpful. Even found me some duct tape which I really needed at the time. The food was chef prepared and absolutely delicious. My tent cabin was clean and comfortable. What more can I say? I highly recommend them.

Whitney was cold and windy! The walk down from Whitney was a long one. It took several hours to make it to Whitney Portal. Folks that walk up from the portal, summit Whitney, and then walk down in one day have my utmost respect!

Well that's about it. If you're interested, I have a full trip report on my smugmug page. My Webpage

There are six galleries labeled JMT 1 through 6. I need to redo gallery 2 as the white balance on the photos needs fixing.

A couple of my favorite images from the trip.

Cathedral Lake and Cathedral Peak

Marie Lakes at sunset

Evolution Lake sunset

Rae Lakes with the Painted Lady

Waterfall below Forester Pass

Well that's about it. It was a trip I'll never forget and I appreciate all the helpful advice.  :)

-Greg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2012, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome photos!  Congrats

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2012, 7:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beautiful photos!
 Post Number: 4
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2012, 2:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You took some really nice pictures. Congrats on the hike. I was up there backpacking during the time you were and decided I need to hike the whole JMT myself. I want to plan it solo and just see who I meet. Don't know how long it will take me - I'll go as fast or slow as I feel like.
 Post Number: 5
John Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2012, 7:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Greg, you have some real nice photos there.  Thanks for sharing, man.
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2012, 10:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That Forester Pass approach is awesome.

You get caught much with all those t-storms the first week out? Entertaining lightening one Sunday night: a tad apocalyptic but entertaining for all that. (So you can guess my mid shelter worked or I'd have been a lot less entertained)
 Post Number: 7
larrys Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2012, 11:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Painter,

Glad you made it.  Haven't had a chance to read your trip report but I will.  Glad you had a good stay at MTR.  It is a special place.  Fabulous pics.

We finished the High Sierra Trail a week ago Sunday and were able to make it to the top of Whitney this time.  Man, Whitney is wonderful with those windows.

If you get JMT withdrawls try the HST, it is kind of like a mini JMT, just 5-7 days and great views of Western Divide.
 Post Number: 8
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for sharing your trip, Greg.
Did you hike solo?  
What would you estimate the weight of your pack was (at its heaviest)?
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarol @ Sep. 15 2012, 6:46 pm)
Awesome photos!  Congrats

Thank you tarol, I'm glad you liked them.  :)
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 6:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DukeFan @ Sep. 15 2012, 7:57 pm)
Beautiful photos!

Thanks Dukefan! I'm a Carolina guy myself.  :p  :D
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toejam @ Sep. 17 2012, 2:27 am)
You took some really nice pictures. Congrats on the hike. I was up there backpacking during the time you were and decided I need to hike the whole JMT myself. I want to plan it solo and just see who I meet. Don't know how long it will take me - I'll go as fast or slow as I feel like.

The beauty of a solo hike is that you're on your own schedule. I hope you have a great time!
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 6:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(John @ Sep. 17 2012, 7:25 pm)
Greg, you have some real nice photos there.  Thanks for sharing, man.

Thank you John for the kind comment. I'm glad you enjoyed them.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 6:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Sep. 17 2012, 10:33 pm)
That Forester Pass approach is awesome.

You get caught much with all those t-storms the first week out? Entertaining lightening one Sunday night: a tad apocalyptic but entertaining for all that. (So you can guess my mid shelter worked or I'd have been a lot less entertained)

HSF,

I lucked out man. I talked to some people who couldn't find their way out of the rain while I only got rained on two trail days and my day off at MTR. I did get caught in a nasty one while going over Silver Pass. It's a sobering thing to see the ridgelines above smoldering from lightning strikes.

Glad your shelter worked out. I hiked the last half of the trail with a guy using a lightheart SoLong. That was one sweet shelter. I don't think I've seen anything close for room vs weight. I used a Tarptent Notch which worked exceptionally well but didn't have the elbow room of the SoLong. I guess you can probably tell what my next shelter is going to be... :D
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 6:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(larrys @ Sep. 17 2012, 11:22 pm)
Hey Painter,

Glad you made it.  Haven't had a chance to read your trip report but I will.  Glad you had a good stay at MTR.  It is a special place.  Fabulous pics.

We finished the High Sierra Trail a week ago Sunday and were able to make it to the top of Whitney this time.  Man, Whitney is wonderful with those windows.

If you get JMT withdrawls try the HST, it is kind of like a mini JMT, just 5-7 days and great views of Western Divide.

larrys,

I talked to a guy at VVR who was doing the HST and the JMT back to back. He was doing pretty big miles but seemed to have really enjoyed the HST. It's definitely on my to do list.

Glad you got your trip in and if you have them posted, I'd love to see the pics!
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 6:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Sep. 18 2012, 11:16 am)
Thanks for sharing your trip, Greg.
Did you hike solo?  
What would you estimate the weight of your pack was (at its heaviest)?

hbfa,

I started solo and then met a fellow at Evolution Lake who was on the same itinerary that I was. We wound up walking the last hundred miles or so together. I love solo hiking but it's also nice to have someone to camp with and to share the experience. Jokingly, he told me it was nice to have someone to share the misery with... :D

At it's heaviest which was after resupply at MTR, my pack was probably somewhere slightly north of 50 lbs. That's including 11 pounds of camera gear.
 Post Number: 16
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2012, 9:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh to be clear: I meant that photo of the Forester Pass approach waterfall is awesome. I'm a sucker for those long exposures of flowing water and that one has color saturation to boot.

Very nice.
 Post Number: 17
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2012, 5:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Painter @ Sep. 18 2012, 6:34 pm)
That's including 11 pounds of camera gear.

Wow!
That would explain the awesome photos

Sadly, I'm more of the point-n-shoot type
16 replies since Sep. 15 2012, 1:52 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply John Muir Trail
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions