2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Great car cammping destinations?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
dangit Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2012, 4:51 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After years of big backpacking trips, my friends and I went car-camping in the Gaudalupe Mtns (NW TX) this spring and liked it. Rest rooms. Potable water. Someplace to hang a SunShower. No need to pack up every morning. And a variety of very different day hikes.

We want to try it again and I'd like advice about good destinations in the SW (including CA). What we'd like:

Decent campground with a group site that can hold ~10 tents
Restrooms and water would be great
Good variety of day hikes accessible from the campground - easy/hard, interesting/scenic, mountain/canyon, etc

Thanks for your advice and recommendations.

Dan
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2012, 5:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Five suggestions for Group Campgrounds with which I am very familiar

San Bernardino NF -

Coon Creek Cabin - great scenic out of the way locale for group camping, off a remote dirt road, make reservations at recreation.gov, has vault toilets but no water, located along the PCT near a very dramatic view, also San Gorgonio Trails nearby

Skyline Group Campground - located on the Santa Ana River Trail, also San Gorgonio Trails nearby, water and toilets, easy to get to (off paved road), make reservations @ recreation.gov

Sequoia NF -

Quaking Aspen - Slate Mtn and Nelson trails start in the campground, also Freeman Creek trail nearby (goes through the largest sequoia grove in wilderness condition in the NF), vault toilets and water, campsites are conveniently located off of paved highway, campsites near scenic meadow at the headwaters of the Tule River, Ponderosa Lodge is nearby for food/snacks, make reservations @ recreation.gov

Long Meadow or Holey Meadow groiup campgrounds - don't think they have water, but they have toilets, both near the Trail of 100 Giants (family friendly trail through giant sequoia grove), other trails nearby, make reservations @ recreation.gov

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2012, 1:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

IIRC it may even be possible to do a filtered search at recreation.gov for "group campsites".

That might pop up some choices that the group might find intriguing.
 Post Number: 4
Serpicorabbit Search for posts by this member.
If I pee on it, it's mine!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2012, 8:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hole In The Wall in Mojave National Preserve.  Or Joshua Tree.

--------------
No problem! ~ ALF
--------------
Serpicorabbit's blog
 Post Number: 5
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2012, 11:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There was a pretty good thread a few months back about great places to car camp. I can't find it.
 Post Number: 6
ogg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2012, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Joshua Tree NP has three nice, inexpensive group camping areas, though you need to bring your own water. I've led group car camping trips there twice. The best hiking would probably be out of Indian Cove, you can do the Gunsight Loop or Rattlesnake Canyon. Those are cross country/scrambling routes in the Wonderland of Rocks. Nearby is the Boy Scout Trail, more of a maintained trail though you'd have to drive a short distance to the trail head (I guess you could walk to it) In the middle of the park is Sheep Pass group camp, you can climb Ryan Mtn. right of the campground. A short drive with a high clearance vehicle will take you to trailheads for the Eagle Cliff Mine and Desert Queen mine wash. At the south end of the park is Cottonwood group camp, the trail for Lost Palms Oasis is right of the of the camp area.
 Post Number: 7
Rics Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2012, 5:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gilbert Ray County Park near the Tucson Desert Museum has a great group site but it must be reserved in advance. BUT....it's  only for educational groups so write your request on your group's letterhead to make  it look official. If you're not an educational group call yourself one like: "Wilderness Adventurers and Educators" or "Association of Amateur Archaeologists of Dallas" Whatever.
Contact me if you want more info.
There's lots of great day hikes in the Tucson Mts, Rincons, Santa Ritas and within Saguaro National Park east unit and west unit.
Contact the Pima County Department of Parks and Recreation or whatever it's called. Look on the net.
Ric

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 8
skinewmexico Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2012, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Big Bend Ranch State Park. Dead Horse Point State Park in Moab.

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
7 replies since Sep. 19 2012, 4:51 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Great car cammping destinations?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions