2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Early July Rae Lakes or Evolution Valley, Issues?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Talus. Search for posts by this member.
Delsolation is my destination

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 7:09 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I turn 50 on July 9 and I'd like to be in the Sierra somewhere to celebrate with my Wife.  How are the bugs in SEKI in early July?  How about issues with deep snow in an average year?  Any other issues I should consider?  Crowds don't really bother me as long as I can find a decent campsite.  Are permits tough to come by, and should I try for them as early as possible?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 10:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Each year is going to be different, so I can only suggest that you wait and see.  Last year on July 5th we were in the Mono Creek drainage at about 9,000 feet, and we were above the snow level.  There were almost no mosquitoes because it was too early.

Two weeks later, the mosquitoes were the worst we have ever seen in 35 years of hiking in the Sierra.

This year we were at the same elevation farther north, and there was almost no snow at all, and the mosquitoes were bad but not brutal.

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Depending on route ( say, from the east side over Paiute) high passes could easily still be snow covered, probably previous travelers would have somewhat made a route but following others tracks sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Mosquitos just below the snow line, where ever that may be, would be a challenge but choosing the right campsite and carrying a headset etc. can deal with most situations. Also whether it's your usual or not, carrying a full tent, or at the minimum the inner net for a floor less.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Of course Glen, at 11.9 K won't be all that different from either Muir at about the same elevation or Piute at 11.4

As said, a little soon to tell.

As to permits Rae Lakes loop is extremely popular and, IIRC, has particular restrictions.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/rae-lakes-loop.htm
 Post Number: 5
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 12:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They are predicting at least a mild El Niño this winter, which could mean heavier snows.  Keep an eye on it.  But depending on what you are willing to put up with. . . I used to hike with a friend who liked to cross the Sierra divide on the summer solstice each year.  We had some good trips, as well as some challenging ones!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks guys and girls.  I don't mind a challenge, but I've never had to traverse much snow on steep trails so I'm certainly no expert.  Also not sure if I want to deal with mosquito-aggeddon on a "vacation" hike.  Any other Sierra suggestions where we'd still get the same type of scenery without bugs (still in early July)?

--------------
“Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.”
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 4:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe look north of O'Shaughnessy Dam? Up that ways is classic early season country as it's lower in elevation.

OOH: OR Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne! a 35 mile or so route (White Wolf to Tuolumne Meadows) alongside some of the grandest water features around those parts, with options to head south once at Glen Aulin through the Ten Lakes basin if you wished depending on snow levels... Not the Sierra Crest but then locking into early July means higher elevations get chancy regarding snow...

Much depends on how far and for how long?
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We've got to do it in a week, including travel, so 4 nights tops.  We can handle 15 or more miles a day depending on gain.  Trips out of TM are reasonably easy to get permits for, no?

--------------
― Anatoli Boukreev
 Post Number: 9
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 03 2012, 11:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would wait on permits until you know what the conditions are. I haven't had trouble getting permits at the last minute and you want to be flexible. There are a hundred places that would work for you.
 Post Number: 10
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 9:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Talus. @ Oct. 03 2012, 7:00 pm)
We've got to do it in a week, including travel, so 4 nights tops.  We can handle 15 or more miles a day depending on gain.  Trips out of TM are reasonably easy to get permits for, no?

Uh, no. Not easy. One of the most popular places to start a hike in Yosemite...

But, going on a weekday and being able to walk in the day before you want to start can help, if you can't get the reservations five months in advance.

Also TM is over 9000 feet so if it is a high snow year and you got those reservations, you won't be able to go. Some years the road doesn't open til mid July due to snow. That's the unpredictable part of it.

There is not a place in the Sierra exempt from mosquitoes in spring, if it's a normal snow year. Normal pattern is to expect them until late August. Which is why I am backpacking every weekend right now until the snow falls...

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 04 2012, 12:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

An advantage to a Tuolumne centered plan is that off the top of my head there are twelve trailheads either in the meadows or along the Tioga Road (plus the two at  O'Shaughnessy) that offer entry into some grand and varied country of different elevation.

And you've got to start somewhere with route considerations... odds are you wouldn't get to Plan "L".

Though as mentioned in terms of yearly variation if you wanted to nail down the pre-hike campground the safest bet would be to get Hodgdon Meadow reservations as it's never seasonally closed: many of the Tioga Road campgrounds, even Tuolumne, can have their opening delayed by snow.
 Post Number: 12
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 06 2012, 1:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

By mid to late June, Kearsarge and Ray Lakes would have snow fully covering trails at 11,000' and above.  Passes will be somewhat of an adventure until mid July and sometimes later.  You should be able to find no snow camping below 11,000'...its just getting there.

And don't cha like sun cups and postholing just when you need to make that last mile quickly.

Great place to spend an extened July 4th weekend that includes a bday.  Go for it.

What side are you coming in from?  East from LA area or West from SF area?

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
11 replies since Oct. 03 2012, 7:09 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Early July Rae Lakes or Evolution Valley
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions