2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: AZT Between Superstitions and PicketPost< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RedDoug Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 11:00 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just wondering how well this section of the trail is marked.

Summer heat is passing- time to get ready for winter camping in AZ.

--------------
No Shame- Proud to be an American
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 08 2012, 11:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I haven't been on any part of that stretch since before it was marked.  I'm just chiming in to note that there's a lot of history associated with that stretch of trail and to say "Hi".   When are you thinking of hiking it?
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 12:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am more interested in hiking all the trails on the eastern end of the Supers.  No one uses that section of the wilderness.  I could access from the Picketpost TH but it seems that parking a car at Miles TH on the eastern end out of Superior offers some pretty exciting backpacking.

When you going to be out this way again?

I can pretty much go anytime.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 1:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are a lot of trips from Miles that I haven't done.  Some of them are on non-maintained trails that were once ranch roads, and before that were military and mining trails.  I can't remember if high clearance is needed for Miles.

My travel dates aren't set yet, but will probably be more mid-November than later.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 2:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have hiked in from Miles TH to Angel Basin and on over to Peralta TH. That was a number of years ago now- like 6-  8 yrs ago.

Trail was overgrown with catsclaw then- but really nice country.  I'm planning on working my way back into that country off and on all winter long.  

Anytime you have an opening- I would be delighted to share a few days or more with you out there.

--------------
 Post Number: 6
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 11:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you're talking about the stretch of AzTrail that leaves Picketpost and goes north via Reavis Canyon to the Roger's Trough Trailhead, it appears to be well marked. Basically, it's flat at first crossing a couple of large drainaiges before it heads up relatively steep Montana Moutain. I've skipped this section for now. Here's the description of that trail.

My next AzTrail hike will, hopefully be within the next few weeks when I need to make up a 6 mile section that will end at Vineyard Trailhead just north of the Roosevelt Dam bridge. Then, around Thanksgiving, I hope to be doing 40 miles along the Four Peaks and Pine Mountain passages.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2012, 10:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

DD, if you are interested in company let me know.

That 40 mile section sounds interesting.

How long are you planning to do this section?

2 nights/3 days?

--------------
 Post Number: 8
null Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 13 2012, 5:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have hiked from Picketpost to Rogers Trough (and beyond) twice.  Both times, there was no problem at all finding the trail and neither time was it overgrown.  As a bonus, it had water down at the bottom of Montana Mt. both times (and at Roger's Trough as well).

Last year, I hiked Haunted Canyon.  Again, very easy to follow and totally clear.  However Bull Basin Trail was extremely overgrown with all kinds of sticking plants (mostly oaks) but even so, it wasn't that hard to find the trail.  

My conclusion both here and with overgrown trails in the Four Peaks (Cline/Ballantine) is that it's a crap shoot if a trail crew has come through and cleared a trail or not.  And it grows back in a single year.

One other thing.  There really isn't much room to park a car at the Haunted Canyon TH.  There might be at Miles TH, but the road in is reasonably rough and pretty far in.

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
http://www.fitpacking.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2012, 3:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(null @ Oct. 13 2012, 5:54 pm)
I have hiked from Picketpost to Rogers Trough (and beyond) twice.  Both times, there was no problem at all finding the trail and neither time was it overgrown.  As a bonus, it had water down at the bottom of Montana Mt. both times (and at Roger's Trough as well).

Last year, I hiked Haunted Canyon.  Again, very easy to follow and totally clear.  However Bull Basin Trail was extremely overgrown with all kinds of sticking plants (mostly oaks) but even so, it wasn't that hard to find the trail.  

My conclusion both here and with overgrown trails in the Four Peaks (Cline/Ballantine) is that it's a crap shoot if a trail crew has come through and cleared a trail or not.  And it grows back in a single year.

One other thing.  There really isn't much room to park a car at the Haunted Canyon TH.  There might be at Miles TH, but the road in is reasonably rough and pretty far in.

I have been into the Miles TH a could of times and backpacked from the TH out to Peralta TH- one really great hike.

But I have no problem getting a cat into Miles.

Should be running out that way in the very near future.

I'll post a report.

--------------
8 replies since Oct. 08 2012, 11:00 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply AZT Between Superstitions and PicketPost
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions