2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Big Bend Trip Report, Put Chuck D's map to use! Thx!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
brownmouse Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2012, 11:55 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My friend and I took a little hike in the Chisos Mountains a couple wks ago. Man, I am REALLY out of shape!! But she was patient and we had a really good time. I thank Chuck D for his generous sharing of his Big Bend map and information!

We had a late start and headed up to our first assigned campsite at the Pinnacles Camping area. A nice storm hit us before we made it and we got bombed by hail nearly the size of golfballs. My friend got a pretty good knot on her head from the onslaught.

After a stormy night we woke to a beautiful morning and really enjoyed that site at Pinnacle One.

Slow but sure we made it to Emory Peak where we rested w/quite a few other hikers, who graciously took our picture together.

On the way up to Emory Peak we found this Mountain Lion track in the mud on the trail.

I understand that we were very privileged to have this much water up there in the Chisos!! Here's Boot Spring.

Boot Canyon Trail

--------------
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees."   John Muir   1898
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 12:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Then on to the South Rim where we found our second night campsite SW3. We had beautiful weather and amazing views here!!

And here I am in my new Aarn backpack. Sure love this new pack. No shoulder or back strain at all!!! But I am sssoooo out of shape and my legs were sssoooo sore!!!!

So, after our hiking trip we drove in to Marathon, Tx where we found this cute little hippy hostel. A really neat little place, which I recommend if you like the unusual. But if you like spotless sleeping quarters you might want to try somewhere else. However, the manager tells me that they let bicyclists stay for free. We loved it here and had a good nights sleep before the long drive home.

Thanks to my wonderful husband who stayed home and took care of the animals! Thanks LonesomeGeorge!!!

--------------
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees."   John Muir   1898
 Post Number: 3
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 8:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great TR and pictures! Big Bend is such a magical place.

Glad you got some use out of the maps.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 4
bumknees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 11:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice pics, especially liked the tent & hail pic.
 Post Number: 5
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the picutres and description. It looks like the same route I did about 12 years ago.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 12:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Oct. 23 2012, 8:38 am)
Great TR and pictures! Big Bend is such a magical place.

Glad you got some use out of the maps.

Thanks ChuckD. I'll get those in the mail back to you soon!!

--------------
 Post Number: 7
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wonderful trip. Were you at Art Outside this last weekend?

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 12:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dang those pictures bring back some memories!  Glad you had a good trip!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 11:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buddero @ Oct. 23 2012, 3:25 pm)
Wonderful trip. Were you at Art Outside this last weekend?

No, Buddero. Was that in Marathon? It was a fun trip. I haven't been backpacking in so long, it felt really good.

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Oct. 24 2012, 12:09 am)
Dang those pictures bring back some memories!  Glad you had a good trip!

Thanks RD!! It was fun!

--------------
 Post Number: 11
lonesomegeorge Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 4:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

that was one sweet trip report.....I think I know one of those ladies in it....she looks familiar....LG

--------------
"all you gotta do is open your arms,your heart,and breathe in...the happy,happy,happy will flow into you like the sunshine flows into trees!!!"...brownmouse....as I keep on a smilin'...

www.lonesomegeorge.smugmug.com
 Post Number: 12
TexasDesertRat Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 11:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That looks so fun... I have a trip to Big Bend planned for March that I've been excited about... this just stoked me even more!

--------------
Human Spirit of Adventure
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2012, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(lonesomegeorge @ Oct. 26 2012, 4:26 pm)
that was one sweet trip report.....I think I know one of those ladies in it....she looks familiar....LG

I am very familiar with you too, LG!!!! Sure do love being married to you!! :)

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2012, 11:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TexasDesertRat @ Oct. 26 2012, 11:50 pm)
That looks so fun... I have a trip to Big Bend planned for March that I've been excited about... this just stoked me even more!

I know you are gonna have a great time!! I am guessing you will have water in boot spring in March. Bigbendchat.com was a great resource for me.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2012, 1:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great pics. Thanks for sharing. I love BB, and west Texas in general. Been too long since my last visit.

Great to see water up in the Chisos. It actually looks pretty verdant.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 16
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2012, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Brownmouse – Way cool.  I feel for the two of you being bombed by hail, way cool after the fact, not so cool during the bombing.  Neat place to get a room at, I have passed by the place and think that I will have to remember the next time I head down there. Looks to have been a truly magical trip, thank you for posting :D

--------------
It never hurts to do good – Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
 Post Number: 17
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2012, 9:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I enjoyed your TR/photos again this evening. Thanks

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
 Post Number: 18
lonesomegeorge Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2012, 12:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

damned...that one gal looks sweet....the one with the camo hat and ****-eatin' grin......LG

--------------
"all you gotta do is open your arms,your heart,and breathe in...the happy,happy,happy will flow into you like the sunshine flows into trees!!!"...brownmouse....as I keep on a smilin'...

www.lonesomegeorge.smugmug.com
 Post Number: 19
DavidUTD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2012, 10:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like a great trip!  I loved Big Bend when I went!  I can relate a little to the weather too.  I was so proud of myself for finding water up on the Mesa de Anguila, and then it rained for 12 hours straight starting that night.  No hail though.

--------------
"Some things are too phenomenal to do mediocre."
18 replies since Oct. 22 2012, 11:55 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Big Bend Trip Report
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions