2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: NEED HELP (TEXAS), Primitave Camping< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
chriskelly3156 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 1:54 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I need some information. I am looking for a location somewhere close to San Antonio (100 miles) that I cant get lost in for a few days. I dont want a park or campsite, I am looking for wilderness that I can backpack through and make my own campsite/survival shelter. Does anyone have any insight? Thank you!!

SSgt Kelly
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 2:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The best place I found for that in Texas was kayaking on a river (the upper Brazos was near me). There are lots of rivers you can paddle and everything between the cut banks (gravel & sand bars) is public property.

Other than that, there's BLM land near Big Bend that's wide open but less hospitable. Matagorda Island looks interesting but I never made it down there.
 Post Number: 3
skinewmexico Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2012, 7:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No wilderness in central Texas, and next to no private land. The downside of being a former Republic. Big Bend Ranch State Park would work though, although they would want you to practice LNT.

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 4
brownmouse Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dang SSgt Kelly!! You are asking a really hard question!! So much of Tx is private land!! Wonder if you can find a landowner that wouldn't mind you going out. You are definitely in a nice location for things like Hill Country State Natural Area, Lost Maples State Natural Area, Pedernales State Park. Maybe Hill Country SNA is the best, maybe. How about Steiner Ranch? I don't know much except that it is known for rock climbing. I sure wish the Balcones Canyonlands would let us go stomp around on their lands, but they only have a few areas designated for day hiking. There is the Good Water Trail in Georgetown, but it is not very isolated, as houses have been going up all around. But you could go off trail and camp where you want I think. Lots of wild hogs out there.
Then there is the Muleshoe Bend Recreation Area - a part of the LCRA system. They have camping for about $6/night (I think) and is pretty primitive, AND they have a 7 mile trail that goes around the property that I ahve always thought you could go back into and find a place off the trail to camp. Dunno if that is legal or not, but they pretty much let you car camp anywhere you want everywhere else in the area. The LCRA primitive rec areas area a place to look, cuz they have several around Lake Travis and Lake Buchanan.

GOOD LUCK!!! And let me know what you find. Me and LonesomeGeorge need to get out more too!!!

--------------
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees." John Muir 1898
 Post Number: 5
ChasWill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 5:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Or you can look at East TX and the piney woods

Big Thicket National Preserve

Four C Trail

Lone Star Hiking Trail

Trail Between the Lakes

--------------
Charlie
OuachitaMaps.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
brownmouse Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ChasWill @ Oct. 24 2012, 5:21 pm)

Cool Chas!! I think me n LG will give one of those trails a try. I have never felt like going to East Tx but those trail look appealing!! Thanks!!

--------------
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees." John Muir 1898
 Post Number: 7
yosemitefan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2012, 6:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lost Maples you could get maybe two days out of. If you're here in late November it's really beautiful though; lots of bright oranges and yellows on the trees in the lower part of the park (the high part is only 400 feet higher, lol). I don't think there is dispersed camping though and you'd never be far from people.
 Post Number: 8
ChasWill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2012, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(brownmouse @ Oct. 24 2012, 6:12 pm)

(ChasWill @ Oct. 24 2012, 5:21 pm)

Cool Chas!! I think me n LG will give one of those trails a try. I have never felt like going to East Tx but those trail look appealing!! Thanks!!

We found the best time to go is in Jan when the cold hits the Ozarks and it is still mild down there.

--------------
Charlie
OuachitaMaps.com
 Post Number: 9
TexasDesertRat Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 26 2012, 11:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Try Hill Country State Natural Area near Bandera... it's fairly primitive has some decent trails and a good rock climb or two...

http://wildtexas.com/texas-parks/hill-country-state-natural-area

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/hill-country

--------------
Human Spirit of Adventure
 Post Number: 10
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2012, 1:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Could try paddling the Devils River.

--------------
It's a strange situation,
a wild occupation,
Living my life like a song.
 Post Number: 11
AggieHiker92 Search for posts by this member.
Hiking with kids in tow adds a new dimension to the Wonders of Nature

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 4:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If still in the Service, look into going to the Escondido Ranch, run by the Navy as a recreational facility out of NAS Corpus Christi.  It's hunting season now, but once the season is over there is a lot of open brushland out there.  The location is near Freer, down in Duval County.

--------------
"Though I've belted you and flayed you / By the living Gawd that made you / You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din." - Rudyard Kipling
 Post Number: 12
DavidUTD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 04 2012, 10:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had the same problem when I lived in Texas (Dallas area).  When I wanted a long trip, I went to the Ozarks or Big Bend.  NM is much more backpacker friendly, but I haven't decided if that makes up for the taxes yet.

--------------
"Some things are too phenomenal to do mediocre."
 Post Number: 13
skinewmexico Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2012, 5:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Property taxes in Texas far, far exceed state income tax in New Mexico. Sales tax used to be less too.

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
12 replies since Oct. 23 2012, 1:54 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply NEED HELP (TEXAS)
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions