2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Los Angeles Trip 1st Week in Dec< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
cadesun Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 1:55 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi all!

My wife and I are taking a trip to the Los Angeles area the first week in December and were hoping for some recommendations on good overnight backpacking trails in the area.  We will be doing some car camping with another couple as well so any input on good spots would be greatly appreciated!  I think anywhere within a 6 hour drive or so is fine with us.

We are used to backpacking the Rockies so we are wondering what to expect weather-wise too.

Thanks!

Cade

--------------
Adventures in travel, cooking, photography and life...
cadeandmolly.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Weather - who knows.  It's highly variable that time of year.  Sometimes it's dry warm and sunny - other times we start getting rain/snow.  

Anyway, here are some So Cal backpacking ideas:

Santa Cruz Island, a one hour boat ride from Ventura - Scorpion Camp (easy overnight, with dayhiking opportunities) or Del Norte to Scorpion (two nights, gotta carry your water) - it costs a little bit of money for the boat ride and camping fees but well worth it!!!  May see some migrating gray whales on the way there.  You can also go kayaking :)

Joshua Tree NP, within 2-3 hours of LA - Boyscout Trail, Lost Palms Oasis - or if you're comfortable navigating off trail - Quail Mountain or Carey's Castle - gotta carry all your water.  

Angeles NF - close to LA!  Chantry Flats to Spruce Grove - gotta get to Chantry early if you do this on a weekend!  (small parking lot fills up quick)  Need an adventure or interagency pass to park - obtain at REI or Big 5.  You can climb Mt. Wilson after you reach camp if you want a more strenuous hike.  May have to carry your water.  

Cucamonga Wilderness, within an hour and a half or so of LA -  Middle Fork Trail to Third Stream Crossing is usually snow free - and there is water - and bighorn sheep if you're lucky - need a high clearance vehicle and an adventure pass and a wilderness permit - obtain the latter two at Lytle Creek Ranger Station open Friday-Tues 8:00 am - 4:30 pm

San Gorgonio Wilderness, within 2 hours of LA - Momyer to Alger Camp is usually still snow free that time of year, and there's water - need an adventure pass and a wilderness permit - obtain at Mill Creek Ranger Station open Thursday-Monday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm

More ideas here:

http://www.tarol.com/backpacking

For car camping I'd recommend Joshua Tree NP, Death Valley NP, Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, or maybe one of the CA State Beaches - we like Pt. Mugu near Malibu.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 02 2012, 9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Depending on weather, I've been blown out of Joshua Tree, though usually later in the spring, the landscape at Joshua Tree has unique offerings for car campers.

The coast will be more reliably milder, true. One of the Big Sur parks would be great.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2012, 3:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the input!

We were also thinking of journeying up to the Big Sur area for a couple days, any good backcountry trips in that neck of the woods?

Cade

--------------
cadeandmolly.com
 Post Number: 5
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2012, 8:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In the Big Sur area the Buckeye Trail in the Silver Peak Wilderness is my favorite easy backpacking trip. You'll find lots of suggestions here:

http://www.ventanawild.org/forums/

The weather is usually great but it has to rain sometime.
 Post Number: 6
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2012, 6:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you get up in Big Sur, there's both trips that go the oceanview and those on the other side (I did Arroyo Seco - had to pay $5 parking but there was a shower to come back to ... for 50 cents more).

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 7
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2012, 6:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just got back from the Chantry Flat area - we stayed at Hoegees Camp - or there's Spruce Grove - both have water right now and very pretty fall colors :)

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
BrettGordon Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2012, 11:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Idiots

--------------
My Hiking, Trekking and Travel Pics and Videos
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 29 2012, 12:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks all! Hoping for good weather!

Brett - ??

--------------
cadeandmolly.com
8 replies since Nov. 02 2012, 1:55 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Los Angeles Trip 1st Week in Dec
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions