2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: February trip suggestions?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Coriaceal Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 7:25 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm trying to pick a destination for a 4-5 day (excluding travel) camping trip in February 2013 and would love to get some suggestions.  I'll be going with a friend, and we are both moderately experienced hikers/backpackers and have gear for warm climate backpacking (probably fine down to 15-20 degrees, but not below).  

This will be a bit of a budget trip, so my goal is to find something within 2 days drive of Houston, TX.  I've been to Big Bend & Guadalupe Mountains NP as well as Sam Houston NF and most of the popular central Texas destinations numerous times, and would prefer to explore somewhere new.  Open to either backpacking or car camping with challenging and scenic day hikes.  Grand Canyon is looking like a possibility, but I'd love to see if anyone has other recommendations to consider!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
BrettGordon Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 10:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My favorite area is Southern Utah.  Probably a bit chilly overnight that time of year, but there are a number of amazing areas including the Grand Canyon within an hour or two of Kanab, UT.  Zion, Bryce, Escalante....all amazing.

--------------
My Hiking, Trekking and Travel Pics and Videos
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 11 2012, 11:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lots of the Grand Canyon will be full up in Feb, as the permits were drawn in Sept.  However, if you are flexible about where to go there the Back Country office can help you with a walk up plan.  I like the Canyon best of all of your choices so far, but the planning takes time since the permits draw 5 months in advance.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 3:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Coriaceal @ Nov. 11 2012, 5:25 pm)
I'm trying to pick a destination for a 4-5 day (excluding travel) camping trip in February 2013 and would love to get some suggestions.  I'll be going with a friend, and we are both moderately experienced hikers/backpackers and have gear for warm climate backpacking (probably fine down to 15-20 degrees, but not below).  

This will be a bit of a budget trip, so my goal is to find something within 2 days drive of Houston, TX.  

A day of driving puts you in El Paso or, better yet, Las Cruces, New Mexico.  From there you can drive approximately a half-day to Phoenix for the Superstition Wilderness.  Plenty of other wildernesses in southern Arizona but too short for that many days.  

Remember, peaks at 9,000-13,000 can be snow-bound even on the Mexican border  (Chiricuahua's for example) into March due to our "sky-island effect".

Superstitions or Mazatzal wildernesses are big enough and low enough.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
3 replies since Nov. 11 2012, 7:25 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply February trip suggestions?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions