2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: southwest winter trip with my dad suggestions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
apoxtle Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2012, 8:53 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

hello. i live in san diego and am looking to do a trip this winter with my dad, maybe western arizona or something. i am very familiar with anza-borrego and we may do a short trip there. i am also familiar with southern utah, zion and the surrounding areas. we have both backpacked there many times so i'd prefer somewhere else this time. i have not backpacked in death valley before and am very interested in that. any suggestions there would be great.
we don't mind if it's cold, but he would prefer there not be snow. we are looking to stay within 5 or 6 hours of san diego if possible. my dad doesn't want to do a 5 or 6 day trip just a couple smaller 2 to 3 day trips. any help would be great.  thanks
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 3:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

JTNP seems like a natural to consider, fits all your criteria.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2012, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ventana etc. along the coast at any rate...

that hour range extends a ways into Big Sur, Sespe etc. depending on L.A. traffic....
 Post Number: 4
apoxtle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

thanks, was considering joshua tree. i'll look into ventana too
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2012, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Warmer than JT, less windy too when the Santa Annas kick up.
 Post Number: 6
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 15 2012, 10:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd debate the "warmer" part. I was in the Ventana last week and woke up to crunchy water, heavy frost, and there were still patches of snow on the ridge from the last storm.

Still, if you are prepared to turn around and go somewhere else when you find the trail's just not there anymore, the Ventana is a nice option. (I'm not even tongue in cheek, there. We did not make it to our destination, the Double Cone, due to epic overgrowth. A friend literally fell OFF the crumbling trail into brush.)

Do your research at ventanawild.org - it's not for everyone, and it's certainly not tame by any means.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
5 replies since Nov. 12 2012, 8:53 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply southwest winter trip with my dad suggestions
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions