2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Pray for precipitation, let it snow...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 5:11 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, we've had a few storms, and another one or more is on the way.  But we really do need a long wet winter this year.  Last year was way below normal, and things are just plain dry.

Take a look at this photo of Donnell Reservoir on the Stanislaus River, and you'll see what we mean.  

Dean Martin was right.  So was Bing Crosby.  Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 5:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

AZ could use some water, too.  A couple places I visited this month were the driest I've seen, which was already historically dry.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 6:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As an "essential employee", I loathe snow.  That said, I can deal with 40 degrees and rain for a long time.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 4
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 6:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Major reservoirs in southern New Mexico are close to historical lows not seen since the late 1950's and looks like the lower Rockies snow is not coming in significant amounts (again).  

The local water utilities keep saying we have a hundred years of water left but already looking for that well-watered basecamp.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 5
skinewmexico Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 7:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Take that water out, it would look like Texas. My part of the world was within 6 months of being out of water, until that last Pacific hurricane came thru. I think we're good for 2 years now.

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 6
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012, 8:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

By this time next week, the map for Northern and Central California will be all be at least at average with many areas above.   Southern California will continue looking droughty but the rainy season is still early.

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/anomimage.pl?wrc90dPpct.gif

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 7
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 8:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've seen Donnell Res from that angle several times but it never looked like that.

Radar shows rain on the way!
 Post Number: 8
JessyJ03 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 2:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Nov. 27 2012, 5:24 pm)
AZ could use some water, too.  A couple places I visited this month were the driest I've seen, which was already historically dry.

Yes we could! Been really dry here in Southern Arizona. Usually we are getting some winter rains by now but it's been so dry and hot. I worry about summer time if we don't get the rain. The fire season will be AWFUL.
 Post Number: 9
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 4:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rain in Carson City. Still too warm for snow.We will have to wait and see what happens in the mountains. It has been very warm here, 40's and 50's mostly.
 Post Number: 10
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 28 2012, 10:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's the long range, expected amounts. Precip. this week for central Cal., week after looks drier

http://wxmaps.org/pix/prec1.html
 Post Number: 11
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2012, 8:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For those near Sacramento, any flooding?
 Post Number: 12
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 5:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good job everyone!

Keep it up.
 Post Number: 13
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 5:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's not doing AZ much good yet.  :(
 Post Number: 14
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 03 2012, 10:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After those warm storms, areas south of the Santa Lucia Range, San Benito County, and Madera County are still droughty while areas north are all well above normal precip.  See the link in my post above. But not unusual for Early December as the northern jetstream conveyor belt is still rather north.  This last month the gray-brown dry hills here on the east side of San Jose have added a modest bit of green.  However by the end of this week with some sun, vibrant green grasses will explode.  On my way to work in Newark, I pass by a bay side vernal pool area beside Cushing Parkway and for the first time in a couple winters, they are all full of sky reflecting waters.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 15
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 12:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Overdid it a bit it seems:
Tioga and Glacier Point Roads Closed for the Season in Yosemite National Park (2012)

Date: December 3, 2012
The significant storm systems that passed through the Yosemite Area over the weekend resulted in an estimated five and a half feet of snow accumulation in Tuolumne Meadows.  Due to this significant storm, the Tioga and Glacier Point Roads in Yosemite National Park are closed for the season. These roads close each fall and remain closed throughout the winter months until weather conditions permit reopening in the spring next year.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 06 2012, 1:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 03 2012, 5:59 pm)
It's not doing AZ much good yet.  :(

I wonder if we will be well into January before we get any rain :(. I miss cloudy days they are GREAT for hiking
 Post Number: 17
BrettGordon Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 3:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ya no rain in Tucson for a while now.

--------------
My Hiking, Trekking and Travel Pics and Videos
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2012, 2:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

and finally Tucson, Az has rain. Been nice the last few days and really dropped our temps!!! Horray for rain. Perhaps the seasonal waterfalls will actually have WATER in them.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2012, 2:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At a higher elevation, neighboring New Mexico is starting to get snow.

--------------

Post Number: 20
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 9:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BrettGordon @ Dec. 08 2012, 1:47 pm)

I got 1.2" since friday
The desert is already smiling

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 21
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh Yeah.  We are going gangbusters so far.  Lake Shasta is up over 25 feet from the beginning of November.  Great news!

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
 Post Number: 22
starwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The eastern Oklahoma Ozarks where I live has had 1 1/2 inches of rain since October 14th, over 2 months.  That is very, very dry.  Lake Tenkiller is dropping fast as are the various watershed lakes around.

--------------
"Straight paths made by man
Are unnatural and full of curses
But a trail is a song."

Louis Oliver (Creek Indian poet)
"Songs on Winding Trails"
in Chasers of the Sun
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 8:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ Dec. 17 2012, 9:02 am)

(BrettGordon @ Dec. 08 2012, 1:47 pm)

I got 1.2" since friday
The desert is already smiling

Expecting some more tomorrow! They say a high of 49 (brrr) and the clouds are already rolling in.

My seasonal waterfalls had no water in them as of yet (I went hiking on Sunday). Though when the snow up the Rincons starts to melt there should be some nice runoff lower down. We will see.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 21 2012, 3:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The local ski resorts are opening almost a month late, so unless there's significant accumulation between now and mid - January, I'm going to call it an early hiking season on the AZ/NM border.

--------------

23 replies since Nov. 27 2012, 5:11 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Pray for precipitation
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions