2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: solo grand canyon trip in april, wanting tips< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Tom777 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2012, 9:20 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i am planning a solo trip to grand canyon in late april, got a provisional permit with lots of scary language from the park service. it's a 4 day trip; hermits trailhead to hermit rapids; then to monument creek; then to indian garden, then back to the rim. longest days are 10-11 miles (days 1 and 3). I just did a 75 miler this summer in the tetons, and given the projected weather and what i can tell from the trails, this can be reasonably accomplished. Any tips or concerns regarding the route during the April time frame?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
go4ahike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 12:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I  have recieved those letters  about my permit reguest is dangerous and could result in injury or even death  many times.   The route you are planning is not that difficult. I've done it many times. If you did a 75mile hike in the
Tetons you shouldn't have trouble with Hermit-Bright Angel loop.
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 1:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What route in the Tetons was that? Most anything I can think of would involve a lot of winding to cram 75 miles inside there. The Crest Trail is maybe 37 and that runs the length of the place...
 Post Number: 4
Tom777 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 2:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FYI, the teton route was the northern part of the crest, starting at shady creek trailhead just inside the north part of the park, then south through the jedediah smith, then out via alaska basin and hurricaine ridge. Most of the hike was in jedediah smith basin, and had many up and down days of 3000-4000 vertical. I can send you more specifics of the route if interested - we saw very few people, no bear (but lots of tracks and scat), and several moose up close. A great trip if you have the time in beautiful country
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 3:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks but I've put together a few of my own, largely centered on Alaska Basin. The park is wonderful but the (necessary) level of regulation somewhat chaffs.
 Post Number: 6
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 05 2012, 4:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tom777 @ Dec. 04 2012, 9:20 pm)
i am planning a solo trip to grand canyon in late april, got a provisional permit with lots of scary language from the park service. it's a 4 day trip; hermits trailhead to hermit rapids; then to monument creek; then to indian garden, then back to the rim. longest days are 10-11 miles (days 1 and 3). I just did a 75 miler this summer in the tetons, and given the projected weather and what i can tell from the trails, this can be reasonably accomplished. Any tips or concerns regarding the route during the April time frame?

It's standard practice for the BCO to send out the (what we call) "you're going to die" letter when any leg of the itinerary is over 10 miles.  For the GC, the Hermit-BA loop is an "advanced beginner" route; with 4 days, you should be fine.

Keep an eye on the weather forecast.  April weather can vary along the Tonto.  I've experienced snow the last week of April.  Last April, it was 90+ degrees by 10AM on the Tonto in mid-April.  If you hit one of those heatwaves, the Monument to IG day will be hot and long; no dependable water enroute either.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
5 replies since Dec. 04 2012, 9:20 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply solo grand canyon trip in april
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions