2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Backpacking in Redwood NP< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
stuthetraveler Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 3:36 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are there any good loops or trails that'd be good for a tame two night backpacking trip in Redwood NP? Want to see some awesome groves of Redwoods... without the mass of tourists.  

Thanks!

--------------
Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The backcountry camping in Redwood is with designated sites:
http://www.nps.gov/redw/planyourvisit/backcountry-campsites.htm
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 11:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(stuthetraveler @ Jan. 25 2013, 3:36 pm)
Are there any good loops or trails that'd be good for a tame two night backpacking trip in Redwood NP? Want to see some awesome groves of Redwoods... without the mass of tourists.  

Thanks!

The classic loop is the Miner's Ridge, Gold Bluffs Beach and James Irvine Trails. That's just one night though and the site is closed for the season. Hard to do 2 night trips there now that they've closed a couple of the campgrounds so I think you'll be stuck with some day hikes if you're going in winter.

I found this site to be quite helpful in planning our trip. You can view that report if you'd like. We also camped on Redwood Creek, which is the only place you can do dispersed camping, but it's not recommended in winter and early spring either.
 Post Number: 4
null Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 3:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(topshot @ Jan. 25 2013, 11:51 pm)
The classic loop is the Miner's Ridge, Gold Bluffs Beach and James Irvine Trails.

If you're a stickler for semantics, this is actually in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park.  The only tame (very tame) backpacking loop I can think of in Redwood National Park is to park at the Tall Trees Grove Trailhead and head down to Redwood Creek on the Emerald Ridge trail.  

Dispersed camp on Redwood Creek and walk down the creek to the Tall Trees Grove and head back to the parking lot.  It's a really short loop.

A much longer loop would be to go from Bald Hills Rd up the creek trail for 8 miles to the tall trees.  You could come back the next day (out and back, not a loop) or you could head up the horse trails to 44 camp and Elam Camp (both crappy) through "not yet 2nd growth" forest.  Don't leave a car here as it will likely get broken into.

steve

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
http://www.fitpacking.com
 Post Number: 5
CampinCarl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've done part of the Orick Horse trail on foot as shown on this brochure:

Redwood State and National Parks- Horseback Riding

Stayed at Elam Camp and 44 Camp in March a few years ago.  Some nice trees along the first stretch between Orick rodeo grounds (the horseback riding trailhead) and Elam Camp.  The trail along Redwood Creek is really nice as well.  You have to stay on the west side of the creek in the winter as the seasonal bridges are out.  I would have like to cross Redwood Creek near the Tall Trees Grove, but the bridge was out and the Creek was impassable on foot without hip waders :)  The nice part about doing the trip in March was that we had a beautiful sunny first day and we had the place to ourselves.  The downside... we were caught in a nasty rainstorm and decided to head out a day early.  Still, I would go back in a heartbeat.

--------------
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike." - John Muir
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
4 replies since Jan. 25 2013, 3:36 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Backpacking in Redwood NP
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions