2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Grand Canyon December, Boucher-Hermit Loop< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
cfrun02 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 9:03 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I decided to change plans on a previous trip and am doing the Boucher - Hermit loop over a 3 days span. What kind of weather should i prepare for? Also, is water access ok with all the streams there in December? Thanks!!!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 9:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I assume you have a permit?  What camps/use areas are on your permit?  Boucher is mostly at-large camping while Hermit is all designated camping.  Where you plan to camp dictates what kind of temperatures you should plan for.  I would expect temperatures at the river to be in the 50's during the day, mid-30's at night.  But I would prepare for below-freezing temps.  You need to watch the forecast for rain.  If you see snow, it will only be in the upper elevations.  If it's in the forecast, you should probably pack some traction devices for the hike out.

All of the water sources on the route -- Boucher Creek, Hermit Creek, Santa Maria Spring -- are perennial.  The tub under Santa Maria Spring does freeze but my understanding is that the spring doesn't.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 3
steve t Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 9:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Water is not a problem along this route.  You be able to find water by walking up the Dripping Spring drainage to the spring, in perennial Boucher Creek and Hermit Creek, at the river should you decide to camp at the beach, and at Santa Maria spring on the hike up the Hermit Trail.  And if you stay at Monument instead of Hermit camp (recommended) there is water in perennial Monument Creek.  

Take caution if there is a winter storm within a couple weeks of your hike start and bring microspikes or some other reliable traction device.  The initial section of the Hermit Trail is "paved" with in lay stones and very slick when icy, and the section along the Dripping Spring trail hugs the cliff edge.  Spikes on this section provide a confidence boost.

The beach at Boucher Rapids is beautiful, and if you aren't too tired well worth the extra distance.  Hermit Camp is a dump; since the section along the Tonto is short I prefer walking the extra 3 miles to Monument.  The Hermit Trail intersects the Tonto about 1/2 between Hermit Camp and Monument so the exit hike is unchanged.  And if Monument is empty, snag the group campsite and its superior views.

Temps can be quite moderate to quite cold, plan accordingly.  Watch the weather and forecasts.

Enjoy this.  Boucher/Hermit is my favorite South Rim loop hike.
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 1:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pretty amazing GCNP puts out some detailed descriptions of at least some of their routes:

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/upload/Boucher_Trail.pdf

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/upload/Hermit_Trail.pdf

I'd not seen that before.
 Post Number: 5
cfrun02 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 3:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for all the excellent info!! Glad to hear water is not a problem. Also, I dont mind walking the extra 3 miles to Monument. Is it just a much better view and and put together campsite???
 Post Number: 6
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 4:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 11 2012, 1:59 pm)
Pretty amazing GCNP puts out some detailed descriptions of at least some of their routes:

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/upload/Boucher_Trail.pdf

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/upload/Hermit_Trail.pdf

I'd not seen that before.

When they send you your permit, they include one of those trail descriptions for each trail you're likely to take.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interesting, from some 70's climbing buddies I did get the vibe the Grand Canyon people were more proactive, seems they've kept that up.
 Post Number: 8
steve t Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2012, 10:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hermit camp is just severely overused.  Monument gets less use, and the smaller campsites are nearer the creek so there is more vegetation and seclusion between the sites.
 Post Number: 9
OnDaRox Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 1:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

How was your trip?  What route and campsites did you end up using?
8 replies since Dec. 10 2012, 9:03 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Grand Canyon December
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions