2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: So: Next summers big trip?, When you going?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 1:09 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm thinking latish July, hedging my bets between a more normal snow year and a lower one. First weeks in August last year was way too dry at the higher elevations in Yosemite.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 19 2012, 12:09 pm)
I'm thinking latish July, hedging my bets between a more normal snow year and a lower one. First weeks in August last year was way too dry at the higher elevations in Yosemite.

Yeah--it's so tough to get the timing right. I like to get into the high-country early, when there's still snow around but not so much that you're postholing all the time or that trails are impossible to follow.

Of course, that "perfect" time is different every year and at every place.

Also, most of my mountain trips are in the southern Rockies these days--if you get up there early, you might avoid the daily monsoon cycle that is unavoidable in late July and August.
 Post Number: 3
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We've got two week-long trips planned.  One for later in July, the other for the middle of August.  All depending on the weather and whatever else life throws at us...

And we'll certainly get out for a couple of other, shorter trips, later in the year.  September is so nice!

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"September is so nice!"

SHHHH!

:D
 Post Number: 5
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 2:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I have the time, the Tahoe Rim Trail UL style.  Exact month will be work related.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 6
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(balzaccom @ Dec. 19 2012, 11:22 am)
September is so nice!

Sometimes. When it's good it's very good, and when it's bad it's very very bad. I've done a handful of September trips, and on most of them the weather was somewhere between crappy and catastrophic.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 3:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TehipiteTom @ Dec. 19 2012, 12:08 pm)

(balzaccom @ Dec. 19 2012, 11:22 am)
September is so nice!

Sometimes. When it's good it's very good, and when it's bad it's very very bad. I've done a handful of September trips, and on most of them the weather was somewhere between crappy and catastrophic.

Yeah when the monsoonal flows roll in the soaking is pretty relentless.
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 3:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I haven't started thinking past this Friday yet.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 19 2012, 12:49 pm)
I haven't started thinking past this Friday yet.

Ah, the voice of reason.

OTOH my commute is long enough I run prospective routes through my head on close to a daily basis. :D

Hey it's either that or sports. Know what I'm sayin'?
 Post Number: 10
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 5:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a week in Az in April, and a week in the Pyrenees in Sept., so my Summer trip will need to fall in July.  Right now, I am watching the snow accumulations and trying to come up with alternatives.  My buddy wants to do N Lake to S Lake, since he missed this year's trip, and we always have repeats of past favorites like Kitterick to Matterhorn loop.  Now, if we can just figure out where?  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." áSteve McQueen
 Post Number: 11
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 6:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Visiting when the brief windows of peak summer vegetation conditions are occurring is critical to my own trips.  So depends on this winter's snowpack and spring weather.   Don't want to pull the trigger until I need to in order to still make any trailhead quotas.  Thus at the end of the ski season while I'm switching from that to spring wildflower work at lower California locations, will start to look at what I might want to fit in.  I have elaborate planning for a list of backpacking trips in the can.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 12
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 8:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After the mosquitoes thin out.
 Post Number: 13
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We are thinking of a Spring Break trip to either the Caprock Canyon Trailway or LoneStar Trail. Nothing definitive yet.
 Post Number: 14
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't have any detailed plans yet, but my travels next summer will be partly dictated by where Brewer went in 1864 (explanation here).  I need to do some shooting in the Bubbs Creek/Kearsarge Pass corridor; Mono Pass/Fish Creek; and maybe Silliman Crest/Roaring River country.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 3:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like those sorts of things, one of my favorites (along side Lewis and Clark of course) is William Bartram's travels. as well as ones I go back to most every year: Edwin Way Teale's The American Seasons, a 75,000 series of road trips! Whoo Hoo!
 Post Number: 16
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 22 2012, 4:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I don't score a Whitney permit, then probably the Trans-Catalina. Both are on my bucket list!

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 22 2012, 3:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SWest @ Dec. 22 2012, 1:50 am)
If I don't score a Whitney permit, then probably the Trans-Catalina. Both are on my bucket list!

Whitney is a great summit so I'd really suggest that if you don't get the lottery slot you check out the other routes.  Time permitting they're also very nice and not quite as insane traffic and regulation -wise. There's a couple of other east side ths that offer entry into that area and Whitney.
 Post Number: 18
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 22 2012, 6:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

50-50 chance of the JMT in August/September
 Post Number: 19
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 11:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bighorn Crags, Selway Crags or Absaroka's
 Post Number: 20
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 10:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 19 2012, 1:09 pm)

Planning Yosemite myself for July, that's when my daughter is away at summer camp and I will have no daddy duties for a month. Maybe you and I will be there at the same time and can cross paths. Or, snowpack is pacing well over 100% so far this year so maybe you'll end up with August after all.

I also just found out my parents are taking the whole family on an Alaska cruise in June, won't be much time on land but possibly a day hike...

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 3:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glacier Bay kayak tours are awesome if available.
 Post Number: 22
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 8:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

^I know, and we go to Glacier Bay but I don't think we get off the ship, just "cruise-tour" from the ship through the bay. Looking more closely at the itinerary, I'm not sure we will have time for much there, time in port is cut short in order to cover a lot of distance -- one port we arrive 6am and depart around noon!

Where in Yosemite would you intend to go?

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 23
GoWest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 9:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm with you hbfa, we are planning an "epic" trip to thru-hike the JMT in Aug-Sept. Already planning, it's going to be great.  Just don't take my permit slot!!

--------------
Kiss my days, light up my nights.
 Post Number: 24
TIMOTEO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 12:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Probably July or August - hopefully a trip to New Mexico, as far as Carlsbad Caverns.

I went on an Alaska Inside Passage Cruise, we saw Glacier Bay from the ship, it was quite spectacular!

--------------
Babies be born, Environment won, Mercy to all, and Morals be strong.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 1:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ Dec. 30 2012, 5:43 am)
^I know, and we go to Glacier Bay but I don't think we get off the ship, just "cruise-tour" from the ship through the bay. Looking more closely at the itinerary, I'm not sure we will have time for much there, time in port is cut short in order to cover a lot of distance -- one port we arrive 6am and depart around noon!

Where in Yosemite would you intend to go?

Not entirely sure but this past summer was more northerly so I'm looking south. Some places down that way I haven't seen in a while. Maybe something that ends up in Tuolumne....
 Post Number: 26
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I need to get back to southern UT, which I might do before the high country thaws out.  I'll try to get into the northern Rockies during the summer if possible.
 Post Number: 27
psyrob28 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 10:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm gonna finally do San Gorgonio wilderness from end to end and bag all 8 peaks along the way (or however many there are) in June or July... That 10,000 foot ridge trail has been calling me for years!!  :laugh:
 Post Number: 28
Chris C Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 2:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is what I'm hoping for this year:

Pinnacles National Monument for 3 days at the end of March.
Henry Coe State Park for 3 days in April.
Snow Mountain in Mendocino National Forest for 3 days in May.
Yosemite Hetch Hetchy area for 5 days in June.
Yosemite Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne for 5 days in July.
Desolation Wilderness for 4 days in August.
Rocky Mountain National Park for 3 days in September.
Big Sur for 3 days in October.

I wish I could take longer trips, but since I don't have time at this point in my life, I'm trying to get in a lot of short trips close to home.

--------------
"We're not lost. It's the trail that's missing."
 Post Number: 29
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 2:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 19 2012, 10:09 am)

I find late August to be perfect, if in a place that has plenty of water. Swimming after hikes in any direction, áno mosquitoes, & perfect weather at 7,000 feet for both day and night.

Places such as this. áNotice my first sentence there.

-Don-

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 2:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Weather wise I definitely agree. Unfortunately wildflowers tend to be very past peak by then, even Skypilot up high.
30 replies since Dec. 19 2012, 1:09 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply So: Next summers big trip?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions