2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: SOLICITING RECOMMENDATIONS..., for 10 Day RV trip w/ family< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 9:07 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Okay, here's the situation:

The wife (she isn't a hiker), our two sons (13 & 9) and I will be taking vacation in mid to late June.  One idea is that we rent an RV for about ten days and see the sights in the Southwest.  We've never been to the area and would like to see a bit of the Grand Canyon as well as the Monument Valley.  Hiking would need to be minimal to keep the Mrs. happy but some would be acceptable.  So, I'm open to suggestions, what should we see, where should we go.  We'll probably fly in to Phoenix and I figure probably put as many as 3,000 miles on the rental so please, give me the must see and must do list over a week to ten day period.  Prefer no more than about 4 hours drive in any given day.

Thanks!

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 9:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

June puts you in our hottest season but we have a mountain effect where the higher elevations have conifer trees.  Plus you will be in an RV so out of Arizona, ... Sedona, Flagstaff, and the Grand Canyon for dayhikes and views respectively would be my plan if I were in your situation.  It's then about 4 hours to Vegas (maybe take the Hoover Dam tour?) - Nellis AFB might have a trailer hookup - and from there you can get to Zion in another 4 hours and then Bryce.  From there you can hit the 4 corners region where Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona meet (I'm thinking Moab, then Durango with dayhikes into the Weminuche), then driving through the Navajo reservation back to Flagstaff and Phoenix.  

Phoenix and Tucson will be "Middle East" hot, but you will get plenty of saguaro cactus pics north of Phoenix up until about halfway to Flagstaff.  Don't go too far off road into "Bloody Basin" territory as it eats up 4-wheel drives.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 3
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 12:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds similar to the "Hole In The Ground" Tour I made with my family a few years back.

Meteor Crater, Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde.

Bryce or Zion. Glen Canyon Dam is a beautiful visit.

Check river conditions and do some rafting out of Moab.
 Post Number: 4
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 1:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Google "grand circle" -- Zion, Bryce, Page/Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, in a big circle.  You can add Sedona and/or Monument Valley if you have enough time.  Lake Powell will be nice in summer, lots of water activities.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 5
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 3:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Dec. 28 2012, 12:32 pm)
Google "grand circle" -- Zion, Bryce, Page/Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, in a big circle.  You can add Sedona and/or Monument Valley if you have enough time.  Lake Powell will be nice in summer, lots of water activities.

+1

All of those are great.

Check your height. I can't remember which park we couldn't get to. Bryce or Zion that had a height limit for one of the tunnels. That was back in 98 or something obscene like that.
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 6:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Extend beyond Mesa Verde to Durango and the Durango-Silverton train. Utah 12 scenic highway is great. You can loop down from Torrey to Bryce and Zion. MV to Maoband Arches, up to Capiltal Reef and Torrey, down 12 to Bryce and Zion.

IMHO I'd suggest Las Vegas as the start: the hit the North Rim (cooler with views) and on to Monument Valley, Mesa Verde and Durango, return. to Moab and turn north....

That would hit Grand Canyon North Rim ( bison), Monument Valley,, Mesa Verde, Durango-Silverton, Arches, Canyonlands, Moab,   Capitol Reef, Torrey, Utah 12 (there's a we page) Bryce and Zion returning to Las Vegas via Springdale. Las Vegas to Durango back to Las Vegas loop is about 1300 miles fwiw.
5 replies since Dec. 28 2012, 9:07 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply SOLICITING RECOMMENDATIONS...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions