2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: New for 2013, Pinnacles NP< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 11:06 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In one of the less publicized developments in Washington over the past week, the Senate unanimously (!) passed legislation to make the Pinnacles a National Park.  The bill only needs the signature of President Obama, which should be a formality, to go into effect.  

Since I grew up quite near the Pinnacles, this spot holds a special place in my heart---and I heartily recommend that you visit it.  An amazing place with wonderful hikes.  I particularly remember one hike during my college years when I reached the top of the crest to see the clouds all beneath me--and a clear shot to the Sierra towering over the far side of the Central Valley.  And then the wind began to blow...and the clouds below began to send tiny snowflakes up the cliff and into my face.  Yes, it was snowing uphill.

That was also the trip I hiked the caves trail without a flashlight.  Pitch black, with a swiftly running creek, deep crevices, and low overhangs.  Quite the adventure. Not recommended!

The trails here do involve a little more exposure and effort than in most parks

What a great way to start the New Year!

The photos here capture only a part of the charm of this area.  And while the summer can be brutally hot, the spring brings lush growth to the canyons and stunning wildflowers.

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
bumknees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 1:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was in Pinnacles in 2003 with the family, and thought it was a little jewel.  I'm sure that with Yosemite & Sequoia so close, it gets overlooked.  Good news I think.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 2:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

look for it to get overrun now..............
 Post Number: 4
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 8:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great place, just watch out for the pigs!

http://www.tarol.com/pinnacles

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
TIMOTEO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 12:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went to the Pinnacles with my Junior High class in '77! I don't remember much about it. Some of us went through the caves. I think I was a little scared. There is always danger of an earthquake.

--------------
Babies be born, Environment won, Mercy to all, and Morals be strong.
 Post Number: 6
Chris C Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 3:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(balzaccom @ Jan. 01 2013, 8:06 am)
In one of the less publicized developments in Washington over the past week, the Senate unanimously (!) passed legislation to make the Pinnacles a National Park.

Great news! I live just a few hours from Pinnacles and I've had it on my list of places to visit for a long time. Your pictures are terrific. I really need to get out there soon!

--------------
"We're not lost. It's the trail that's missing."
 Post Number: 7
WayOutThere Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 2:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That was where I first started with the park service. I still go there often and am surprised that it may become a national park.

--------------
If tomatoes are fruit, was ketchup the first smoothy?
 Post Number: 8
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 9:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like an awesome place.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
7 replies since Jan. 01 2013, 11:06 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply New for 2013
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions