2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 2-3 Days in Big Bend NP< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
EpicBeast Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 11:09 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey everybody,

Me and 3 buddies are planning a trip down to Big Bend NP, TX. We have 2.5 days (3 but we have to leave on the 3rd). I was wondering if anybody had sick recommendations on how to spend it. Some ideas I had were the South Rim trail, Santa Elena canyon (though we'd need to coordinate that better and were leaving today!), Emory Peak (or elsewhere if there's better views). Basically looking for best of.

We'll technically be backpacking, with all required gear to do so. I don't exactly want to be stuck at a campground surrounded by people. Though, I don't mind, if that's where the best is to be seen.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 1:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's a big place and you don't want to spend all your time driving, so stick to the Chisos Mtns and plan to come back later. If you are backpacking try to camp at SE3 or a site close to it. Definitely do Emory Peak. If you are car camping you should still climb Emory Peak, and also do the Lost Mine Trail. You can climb Casa Grande from the Lost Mine Trail if you are feeling froggy.
 Post Number: 3
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 2:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Santa Elena, last time I went, was pretty populated. Then again, depending upon what time of year you go, it could be pretty dense or near empty depending upon how cold the water is. If I recall, Spring Break is almost always booked at car-camping sites.

Best day hike I remember was to the falls under The Window. You can get to the Window from the Basin on a pretty easy, well developed trail. Getting underneath them is a less traveled trail. I don't see the trail on the map I pulled from NPS. If I remember it started near Sam Neil Ranch ruins. Doesn't mean it isn't there, just that it isn't on the map.

There used to be good food if you take the left just at Study Butte. Little hole-in-the-wall Mexican place. Card table and folding chairs, but best alambres ever.

1980-something was the trip to Emory Peak, Hotsprings.
1990-something was Santa Elena and the water falls under The Window
2000-something was the really good food, day trip to The Window from Chisos Basin.

+1 to the Emory Peak recommendation.
 Post Number: 4
EpicBeast Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 5:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is SE3 a campground I can drive to? Or like a spot off a trail?

Also, sounds like I'm definitely going to Chisos. I wanted to do the South Rim Loop, seems like the best one I've seen unless anyone else has a better recommendation. Is there an actual guide for this loop? Something that says which trails to take?
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 8:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From the NP web site:

http://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/bc-high_chisos.htm

Click the link at the bottom of the page that says "Chisos Mountains Backcountry Campsites." It's the best guide I know. The picture on top of p. 33 is a pale representation of the view from backcountry campsite SE3, which is the best view I ever saw in Texas.
 Post Number: 6
metalman390 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 3:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Definitely check out the Chisos mountains in Big Bend! I did that last January as part of a 5 day trip along the outer mountain loop. The South Rim is amazing, make sure that you spend a night up there. The sunrise was unforgettable.

Emory Peak is definitely worth the hike to the top. A great campsite to stay at is TM1, at the base of the Emory Peak trail.

I have a lot of info on that area posted in my trip report here:

http://metalbackpacker.com/trip-re....th-2012

--------------
MetalBackpacker.com
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 11:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great TR, 390. I've been wondering what happened to the epic beast.

If you need another Big Bend fix one of these winters, check out Big Bend Ranch State Park just west of the NP.
 Post Number: 8
skinewmexico Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 9:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was going to say Big Bend Ranch State Park also. They have a cool loop, with water. Perfect for 2.5 days.

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 9
bhuebner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 12:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I forget the name of it (probably wouldn't be hard to find though) but one of my favs when I went there was a day hike to a hot spring along the river. You can sit and soak while gazing into Mexico.

It is totally low key and chill... perfect for after you finish the backpack.

--------------
Brian
TrailPotato
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
BSuess Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 1:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I second the vote for SE3 or any of the other campsites in that zone. The loop formed by the Laguna Meadows, South Rim, Boot Canyon, and Pinnacles Trail, with a side trip up Emory Peak is ideal, in my opinion. If car camping, I really enjoyed the site at the Grapevine Hills. It sort of reminds me of being in Joshua Tree.

--------------
Hikemtshasta.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
9 replies since Jan. 03 2013, 11:09 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 2-3 Days in Big Bend NP
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions