2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: JMT July< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
beantownR6 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 3:36 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really want to hike the JMT this summer, and im going to have a window of opportunity this summer i won't be working so I can get away for a month if I want to.  with that said and my window i want to go on July 1, and the date is approaching to reserve a permit for that day.  I would like to have the permit so I know I am going and I can plan for that date, I like to plan with a date set.

from what i have read early July can be good but if there is a lot of snowfall then well there is a lot of snow on the high passes.  so what are the high passes like when there is a lot of snowfall going in early july, what is it like when there is not a lot of snowfall?  ive never hiked in snow or ice before.  It seems so far this winter we are getting some good amount of snow, so what are your predictions?

thanks
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 4:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Way too early to even approach a guess. Donahue Pass , the first really high pass going north-south from Happy Isles, is a popular route so even were there to be snow remaining on the north side there would be a beaten path to follow.

Even in drier years that's early enough mosquitos will be the main challenge: best fought off (IMHO) with a billed baseball cap and a headnet, plus the usual DEET for extremities.

Wilderness Press trail guide is a good resource for the route.

https://www.wildernesspress.com/product.php?productid=16621

Good for you taking your time. I don't jog through art museums either.

Get that permit reservation application in by FAX as early as they allow, you're going not only for probably one of the two most popular trailheads in the park but being just near the 4Th of July the heaviest visitor weekend of the year which will add to the competition as that's the gateway to Little Yosemite valley etc. which being lower is accessible by then in most any year (and then there's Half Dome....)
 Post Number: 3
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 8:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Or do it South to North.  Can enter from Horseshoe Meadow and get up Whitney to start of trail from the West side.  It would take a couple of extra days going in over Cotton Wood pass around the South side.  Army Pass would still be an adventure even in a relatively low snow year.   You would get a couple of days of acclimatization, and you would for the most part be going UP the steep parts of the earlier passes.

Usually around the middle of June in almost any year, the trails in the Sierra are still covered in snow from 11,000' up.  A couple of weeks results in significant changes, however.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 4
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 11:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I disagree with the south to north philosphy.  If you are worried about the passes, they are far snowier on the North side than the South side.  Going up a snowy pass is easier than picking your way down one.  

So I would start in the North, and let common sense be my guide.  You are going to be seeing the worst of every pass as you go up...and you can always turn around.

And nobody knows what the conditions will be until about May or June.  You might have a lot of snow, you might have almost no snow.

And yes, it is true that the PCT hikes will have already passed through the JMT by July...which means that there will be some tracks to show you the route.

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For lots of snow, look at the blogs and vids from the 2011 PCT hikers.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 12:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The steeper sides of most of the passes (on JMT) are up going northbound and face (generally) southernly.  The longer approach to most passes is from the north.

All of the PCTrs who finish that year are well into the Sierra by May going north.  So yep, previous hikers have shown the way.

But, coming from the north there will be two-three weeks of melting before Forester Pass.

Either way it is going to be a great trip.

--------------
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 11:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

thanks for the replies, i am faxing my application tonight at 5pm!

quick question, im going to pick my first TH at Happy Isles to LYV.  if i don't get that TH, what would be the best 2nd and 3rd choice for a TH to do the jmt.  I don't have my guide book with me today.  do I choose another TH nearby for the same day, how does it work?

thanks
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 11:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Happy Isles to Little Yosemite Valley, then Happy Isles "pass thru" where you commit to NOT staying at LYV, then Glacier Point: there's a quota for LYV Then would be Glacier Point Illillouette drainage where you'd need to spend a night under Mt. Starr King or there a bouts or Mono Meadows where you'd have to do the same thing.

IIRC those are all separately listed (as they have individual quotas) in the drop down  menus on the application form.

For a July First start this morning was the start processing applications. If your schedule hasn't changed I wouldn't wait until after they close for the day (PST)

"You may fax your request beginning
at 5 pm Pacific time a day prior to the date
listed below
(you can change the clock
to the right to Pacific time to see what time
it is here). If you fax your request
by 7:30 am on the day below, your
request will be included in the daily
lottery. (For weekend reservation
dates, you can fax beginning 5 pm
on Friday.)"
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermitdates.htm

For an out of the Valley TH people just day hike the JMT portion they'll miss to see the waterfalls and make sure they've hiked the "entire" JMT. Happy Isles to the junction with the Panorama Trail is a pleasant hike and not a bad day before warmup to check those boots etc.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks HSF, im going for a July 2nd start date because i was busy yesterday and not able to get the fax in.

Another question, If I get the LYV TH, am i commited to camping at LYV or can i camp somewhere else?

thanks
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 12:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My impression is that TH to LYV permits allows you to stay at LYV but elsewhere wouldn't be an issue within the scope of the regulations. Dispersed camping isn't checked just the restricted areas such as LYV and near the High Sierra Camps.

But that's simply my impression, a clarifying call would be the way to solidify the thing.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Or post the question on their FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/YosemiteNPS
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 10:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got my fax off at about 30 seconds past 5:00 pm.  Fingers crossed hope I get the th I wanted, it's for 2 people
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 12:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Which THs did you try for?
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 3:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

quick turn around time, got a confirmation email this morning for happy isles TH to LYV, my first choice.  2nd was the pass thru and 3rd was glacier point to LYV.

now to start the rest of the planning :)
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 3:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great news! That's a nice start to a great hike. Might as well do it "right" and head past that iconic trail marker with the mileage to Whitney on it.....
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 6:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And the ADVENTURE begins..

First thing on the list is enuf batteries and 'chips'/film.
And a small tape recorder on the order of Olympus ws-700M or the like. Best to record where/when/how and why for the pictures or just reminiscences along the way.  I record conversations with people I meet along the trail or at camp at night.  Had a very long 'core dump' from a ranger that was more than willing for the break in her routine.   You'll get references for other trails to see too.

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 9:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SPeacock @ Jan. 15 2013, 6:07 pm)
And a small tape recorder on the order of Olympus ws-700M or the like. Best to record where/when/how and why for the pictures or just reminiscences along the way.

Why not just take low-res vids for that? Another card would be way cheaper and lighter than a separate electronic device. My older Canon Powershot A series would allow you to record audio files with a picture - I was surprised to just learn that the S100 apparently doesn't do that. I prefer to journal by hand though.

You may pass by my son and I on July 4 or so as we're coming the other way from Agnew starting on the 3rd.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 9:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just noticed you just started BPing last April. I hope you've done lots of training at elevation. The JMT is a lot to bite off for not having done long-distance or much high elevation trips before. Make sure you study bail-out options too just in case. Hope you have a fun and safe trip.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

yeah i know what im getting my self into ill be doing some elevation training before i go in the local montain here.

ive done quite a few backpacking trips since i started, usualy 2 nights but ive done 1-4 night.

the highest places ive backpaked up san gorgonio at 11,500, mt san jacinto at 10,800, ive backpacked in the sequioa national park at over 9000.  i did not have any problems with those elevations.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Keep maniacally hydrated and the odds are huge you'll do fine.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

im really excited to go but im always one to be prepared for anything, ive done lots of other dangerous, stupid and exciting things, probably the most dangerous is club motorcycle racing on a 600 cc R6, but haven't done that in a while.

i live in socal so the nice thins is i can get out and backpack all year, i usually go once a month, im going in a few weeks.  ive got 6 months to plan and practice and hike more :)  i can do 10 miles no problem backpacking and after a couple days when i have to go home i feel like im just getting warmed up but have to get back to work and reality.  i figure this trip is 3 weeks just over 10 miles a day, or (3) 1 week trips.  if i can make it to the re-supply points no problem then its just another week to the next.  soon i will have maps tacked on my wall, notes, and stuff...lots of planning.  Besides my friend has years of experience who is going.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The vast majority of the people who do the JMT have lived at or near sea level.   The first few days will be a problem even without the altitude.  Heaviest pack, long days of ups (and downs), new stresses in new places on your body.  You will find quickly that you only have four sides to lay on while sleeping at night.  And DANG! it got cold last night.

You can't train for altitude and its affects.  It affects people differently every time.  You can plan for what you might experience as you start acclimating.  You will be running out of breath more quickly.  You might have a headache when you lower your head and shake it. You might have some lassitude and just not the 'spark' you have at lower elevations. You might have trouble sleeping the first few nights, usually caused by a type of apnea that is associated with altitude.  If you have the problem, you end up sleeping about as long as you can hold your breath - then wake up gasping.   You might be off your feed some the first week...you will make up for it later. And you might have a bit of nausea.  Most of these will go away by end of the week.  Usually most people worry a lot about it then forget about them.  Just be a bit careful bending over to tie your boots.

Probably you won't be bothered at all by the affects of altitude.  If by the second day they are becoming severe or you can't function well...consider a dip to lower altitude and see if that clears the symptoms up.  If not, go lower until they lessen and then start a slower uphill process of being acclimated.  It might not be a trip killer, but it will add a few days to your schedule and a new plan of the food you will need the first week.

Dyamox can help lessen some of the affects but will not speed up your acclimatization.   You can get a prescription from your physician.  Take a copy of a page from the internet that explains why you might need it and what the dosage is.  If taking it you will need to take in LOTS more water - it is a diuretic.

10 miles a day is a good plan.

Make sure to bring along gaiters.  It will keep debris and snow out of your boots.  If you haven't figured out trek poles, you might want to consider a pair.  You will have a few adventurous water crossings and always nice to have an extra leg or two and some help (with snow baskets)  across snow. Sun glasses, hi numbered UV for your nose and lips and a hat will be handy.

Keep up the long duration hikes.  Just that they are long and put your body into stress. Going to higher altitude is not required except for curiosity and the view.  If you are close to Pasadena, Echo Mountain is a great training trail that has an almost constant grade.  5 mile round trip can be done before starting your day.  See how fast you can make the round trip. The only problem is that Lake Ave has so many signals it uses up a lot of time just getting there.  North end of Santa Anita Ave is trail head(s) to Mt Wilson.  14 miles r/t.   (Just beyond Sturdevant Camp, in June, are some wonderful puff ball fungus to 8".  Great pan fried. ) Ice House Canyon trail to the Three T's and Mt Baldy on a day hike.  When not doing trails such as these, walk/jog in between.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 10:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Better make sure you aren't allergic to sulfa drugs before taking the diamox, if you try to do that - take one at home in controlled conditions if you have never been prescribed to see if you react to it (there can be some uncomfortable side effects as well), or do not know whether you've been prescribed, sulfa based antibiotics.

I'm very glad I never react to elevation beyond diminished appetite. If I had to take something I'd either not get to go at all or die of an allergic reaction.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 24
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 5:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Best bet for the altitude is just go up a couple days ahead of time and hang out in higher altitudes acclimating before hiking....should handle it.

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
 Post Number: 25
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 11:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SPeacock @ Jan. 15 2013, 6:07 pm)
And the ADVENTURE begins..

First thing on the list is enuf batteries and 'chips'/film.
And a small tape recorder on the order of Olympus ws-700M or the like. Best to record where/when/how and why for the pictures or just reminiscences along the way.  I record conversations with people I meet along the trail or at camp at night.  Had a very long 'core dump' from a ranger that was more than willing for the break in her routine.   You'll get references for other trails to see too.

Why not just expose it forever on the sensitive emulsion of your mind?

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So i have started to plan my trip and i have a rough itinerary planned out now and ill post it up as a fine tune it.  ive also started hiking every sunday now in preperation for the big trip.  its been great getting out every sunday

1/26 - 10 mile malibu hike
2/2 - mt wilson via chantry flats thru spruce grove camp, not sure of the exact mileage but about 12~14 miles and 4200' gain
2/9 - mt wilson via chantry flats winter creek trail, and this was after it snowed :) (similar to above)
2/16 - chorro grande trail in los padres, 5 miles up 3,000 ft, 10 miles round trip.
2/22-2/24 - 3 day 2 night backpacking in san mateo wilderness 24 miles, about 8 miles each day

here is the first part of my trip, hows this sound so far?

7/1 - arrive in yosemite valley, pick up permit, day hike to upper yosemite falls, stay overnight in the backpacker campground. my permit is for 7/2 can i pick it up on 7/1?
7/2 - hike to clouds rest junction - set up camp and day hike to clouds rest and back
7/3 - hike to cathedral lakes and camp
7/4 - hike to tuolumne meadows, camp at back packers campground, re-supply at the post office, eat at the bar and grill, shower and laundry.
7/5 - hike to just before donahue pass thru lynll canyon and camp.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 12:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As I understand it that overnight stay at the backpackers campground means you'll need another wilderness permit for the Lyell Canyon TH for 7/5. Whether they'd enforce that I can't say. For that it would be best, rather than relying on internet rumor, to post that on the park's FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/YosemiteNPS

Yes wilderness permits are available for pickup the day before.

The showers at Tuolumne Lodge are no longer open to the public and there are no laundry facilities closer than Lee Vining.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 1:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Also: showers and laundry, three days into your hike?

Wow are you in for a surprise... :D
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 1:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

thanks HSF, i have the guide book you reccomended but guess the shower info is outdated now so i will be jumping in a lake or river instead lol!  I just figured since it was there might as well....

i posted the question on their face book page.
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(beantownR6 @ Feb. 25 2013, 10:41 am)
thanks HSF, i have the guide book you reccomended but guess the shower info is outdated now so i will be jumping in a lake or river instead lol!  i posted the question on their face book page.

It may be as new as just last summer: took me by surprise.

They're under pressure about water quality and environmental impact (all commercial services in the two plans are being analyzed for reduced impact) as is shown in the Tuolumne Wild and Scenic River Plan so I expect that's their attempt in part to reduce water use...
52 replies since Jan. 10 2013, 3:36 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply JMT July
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions