2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Guide for backpacking< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
poomero Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 5:51 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does anyone know of a list where i can find a guid for backpacking in California?

I have looked on line and cant find anything.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 6:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

https://www.wildernesspress.com/home.php

I assumed you meant trail guide and not "how-to"?

For "how-to" Fletcher-Rawlins, The Complete Walker is good. Colin did a lot of his walking in California.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am looking for a guide company or person that does guides. More of a list of them all in CA
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 6:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm aware there is some commercial activity (it's proposed to be severely limited in the draft Merced River and Tuolumne River management plans) and there are some teaching trips conducted by the Yosemite Conservancy.

maybe contact the agency (if there is one) for the area you're interested in? The specific national park or forest, for instance, manages the commercial activity within their park or forest (there are regulations on commercial activity on federal land) so they might be able to help.

A long established worldwide company is Mountain Travel / SOBEK and they have some trips in California, the John Muir Trail north or south and something around inside Yopsemite:
http://www.mtsobek.com/trips....it=Find
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 7:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info High Sierra
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 7:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad to be of limited help. For national parks at least there's usually a "natural history" association (which used to be the Yosemite Conservancy's name) and they often have guided teaching trips that are far more affordable than those Mountain Travel / SOBEK ones.

Yosemite Conservancy trip page:
http://www.yosemiteconservancy.org/experie....ex
 Post Number: 7
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 8:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you are a new hiker/backpacker or just haven't been in the Sierra, there are trips there all the time, some of them with people who visit this (and other) forums.  Most are happy to have you tag along with them if you are relatively fit and want to learn about what is going on and have most of your equipment.  I suspect if you advertise in 'Partner Wanted' forum you would have several who would be happy to 'guide' you.  Just be cautious as they would not provide all of the things one might wish that an 'authorized' or permitted guiding company would.  This would include insurance and warranty, and performance of contract.

Most of the trails to most of the places in the Sierra, especially, are well signed and popular.  You would seldom have a solo experience.  Faster hikers will pass slower and most people you keep up with will camp in the same places you might the next night.  Or you will be leap frogging each other for the trip.  

Many trails are very well described in e.g. Sierra (South/North) by Winnet et, al.   I've been waiting to be lusciously wealthy and afford  experts in geology, fauna, astronomy, philosophy to coddle me on a well planned trip.

I've met many a friend just out hiking and spending the time to get to know them.  And some, if they are avid, will probably ask you to join them the next time or know of somebody going places you might like.

There are clubs or groups that are out there everywhere.  REI and other outfitters have 'guided' trips that you pay a considerable amount for.  Sierra Club goes to the same places but you don't really get a choice of a 'guide'.  It is a volunteer (sometimes rated and locally certified) who is taking a group of people who never met each other before, someplace fun.

Then there are packers who will pack you into a place on horse back.  That would be one heck of an expensive trip if you wanted to hang out with them for a week.  You'd see a lot with someone who has been doing it for many years.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 12:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All very usefoul info. Thanks so much. It will give me a great starting point.
 Post Number: 9
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 3:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 10 2013, 7:08 pm)
For national parks at least there's usually a "natural history" association (which used to be the Yosemite Conservancy's name) and they often have guided teaching trips that are far more affordable than those Mountain Travel / SOBEK ones.

Yosemite Conservancy trip page:
http://www.yosemiteconservancy.org/experie....ex

Trips through these associations are the way to go - they often have the most knowledgable speakers lead the trips, plus they are usually well-priced (because it is a non-profit that's conducting them).

I've taken several very enjoyable guided hiking/backpacking trips with SNHA (Sequoia Natural History Association) - they serve both Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP's

http://www.sequoiahistory.org/

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Plus, as I recall, they (the association trips) tend to have a theme: so for those interested in geology they'll be some led by someone who's knowledgable in geology, or botany or birds and such... they'll have a general knowledge of the rest but there'll be a focus for those who find a particular area most interesting. I did a series many years ago on wildflowers with a Carl Sharsmith, had an absolutely marvelous time.
 Post Number: 11
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 6:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MTSOBEK  YIKES!

$6,300 for southern 'half' (146mi of 212 - from Florence Lake)

Heck, HSF we ought to get into the business.  Dang and with mules too.  I could not count the times I've heard of comments from hikers about the 'leavings' along the trail.  Not sure I'd want to add to the 'litter' for $6,300 each + Single penalty.  

Bet its a nice trip though.  But they plan to spend your money in 17 days.  Way too little time...

Did a 220 mile Coast to Coast guided across England.  Inn to Inn with support vehicle to transport heavy gear to next bed room.   That was nice.  One could really get used to that way of seeing the world.  It was also considerably cheaper, better selection of scotch and in out of the rain (which we didn't  have until very last day).  It was a nice pub crawl.  Walk into a pub for lunch and of course every little town had one.  26 of 'em all told.   :p

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 12
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 9:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Southern Yosemite Mountain Guides based out of Oakhurst does trips up and down the range.

Or join a meetup group. My hiking groups go up there every month. I was supposed to be in Yosemite this weekend, however, the single digit lows have driven me to seek other warmer options.

I have had thoughts of joining the mountain guides if my current gig fails to support me in meaningful fashion. If I have to be poverty stricken I may as well have fun while I'm at it. I've been told I would be a good guide.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 13
ogg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had looked into this a while back (for a summer family Sierra trip) and came up with these outfits:

http://www.sierramountaincenter.com/hike_backpack.html

http://sierramtnguides.com/trekking/trekTier2_SNevada.htm

REI offers a few guided backpacking trips:

http://www.rei.com/adventures/activity/backpacking.html

Cost primarily kept me from using any of these.
 Post Number: 14
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 10:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SPeacock @ Jan. 11 2013, 6:55 pm)
MTSOBEK  YIKES!

$6,300 for southern 'half' (146mi of 212 - from Florence Lake)

If my math is right, that's $370/day...WTF?

A few year ago, did the entire trail in 32 days and, even after my "Rib Eye" night / $137 bar bill at VVR, spent less than two day's fees here.
What do you think all that money buys?

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 10:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hopefully nothing legal.
 Post Number: 16
null Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 1:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have trips to Joshua Tree, Sequoia Kings Canyon and Redwood this year.  All $1250 or less.

Obviously, there are plenty of other great guides and outfitters out there, but you asked...
Thanks,
Steve

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
http://www.fitpacking.com
15 replies since Jan. 10 2013, 5:51 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Guide for backpacking
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions