2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Pacific Coast Highway, Walk for 30 Days in May< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
SADror Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 10:47 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There will be approx 30 of us walking on May 1-30, 2013 starting at the San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge and walk all the way to Santa Monica Pier.

This is for www.walkforasl.com

Since we will be camping every night, what is the best recommendation for sleeping bags, mattress for us during May in California? We will have volunteers bringing our supplies so we wont be carrying it during our walks.

Any other tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated... You can contact me at sadror@aol.com if you prefer private discussions.

Thanks in advance...

Sharon
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 12:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lows will be about 50F, daytime highs in the low 80s. Not a great deal of public camping along that coast route. Hope someone has done their homework.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks - the committee has set up the following day-to-day itinerary so let me know your thoughts...

May 1: 10 miles Golden Gate to San Francisco Zoo
May 2: 12.5 Linda Mar School in Pacifica
May 3: 14.5 Half Moon Bay State Beach
May 4: 9 miles Arata's Pumpkin
May 5: 9 miles Intersection of HWY 1 and Pescadero Creek Road
May 6: 11.5 Pie Ranch
May 7: 14.5 Freewheelin Farm CSA
May 8: 15 miles Seacliff State Beach
May 9: REST - Hang out at Santa Cruz Boardwalk
May 10: 9 miles Sunset State Beach
May 11: 14.5 miles North Monterey County Middle School in Castroville
May 12: 12.5 miles CSU-Monterey Bay
May 13: 7.5 miles Monterey High School
May 14: 5.5 miles Carmel River Elementary School - leisure time to explore Monterey & Carmel
May 15: 2 miles to intersection of HWY 1 and San Jose Creek Canyon Rd, then car 51 miles to Lime Kiln State Park
May 16: Car 28 miles to open field, walk 17.5 miles to Hearst San Simeon State Park
May 17: 6 miles Cambria Grammar
May 18: 13 miles Cayucos Elementary School
May 19: 9 miles Morro Bay State Park
May 20: 12.5 miles Laguna Middle School
May 21: 10 miles Pismo State Beach campground
May 22: REST in Pismo Beach
May 23: 15 miles Mary Buren Elementary School - Guadalupe
May 24: 9 miles Intersection of Black Road & Airox Road, car 43 miles to Jalma Beach County Park
May 25: Car 22.5 miles to HWY 1 & Gaviota Beach Rd, walk 15 miles El Capitan State Beach campground
May 26: 15 miles San Marcos High School
May 27: 18 miles Carpinteria State Beach
May 28: 2.5 miles to intersection of Carpinteria Ave & HWY 1, car 4 miles to PCH and HWY 1, walk 14.5 miles McGrath State Beach
May 29: Car 32 miles to Zuma Lagoon, walk 17 miles Marquez Charter School in Pacific Palisades
May 30: 5 miles to Santa Monica Boardwalk

*RED means rest day
*BLUE means we will be in a car to move location
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So you've arranged to stay at the schools from someone in charge to fill in those gaps? That will help for sure. But have reservations at the parks: the coast route is crazy popular and just dropping by is terribly likely not to work (though with all those schools it looks like that was understood)

The routes a bit "rolly" as it follows along the plateau between the coastal mountains and the drop to the seaside but nothing enormous so even the longer days, unburdened, should work for people in reasonable health. But keeping hydrated will be key, I've biked along those sorts of roads and that asphalt throws off a lot of warmth that dries you out...

Pt. Lobos Reserve is one of my "must sees" in the area, great coastal walk with a great chance to wild otters close up.

Oh and for a "spoiler alert" of that route there's a great website:an aerial survey of the entire California Coastline!
"Welcome to the California Coastal Records Project, an aerial photographic survey of the California Coastline.

Over 66,800 photographs (totaling over 377GB) of the California coast are now online, covering from the Oregon Border (42N latitude) to the Mexican Border (32.5N latitude), except for the Vandenberg AFB restricted area. An additional 5833 images from 1972, 8000 images from 1979, 2890 images from 1986, 4173 images from 1987, 1074 images from 1989, and 2407 images from 1993 are now online."

http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin....ar=2010

I used to work at The Salk Institute where ASL is studied as part of a neurological look at brain function.
http://lcn.salk.edu/lm_index.html

Good luck!
 Post Number: 5
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 8:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just had a big WOW!  

Received a large video screen for Christmas (BIG screen) and looked at one of the CoastLine Project images.  It never occurred to me the images were so rich, big and detailed.

Next will have to project it on a wall and see it.  Won't get 'life sized', but should be impressive the next wine party with an automatic slide show going on.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 8:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah the full resolution ones are pretty impressive.

Hmm I hadn't thought of doing that but I do have a HDMI adapter for my laptop's video out port that would allow connection to my tv!
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 1:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks - will confirm this info with the organizers about the park reservations for our large group...
6 replies since Jan. 13 2013, 10:47 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Pacific Coast Highway
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions