2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Looking for destination ideas in northern CA, Mid March< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
retfird Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 5:56 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello all,
I am trying to plan a trip in Mid march, to try and get an extra early season trip in.  I'm having a hard go of it because I want to keep out of the bulk of the snow.  I would like to stay below say, 3500-4000 feet, because I have to schedule vacation for trips in advance and don't want to cancel for weather.

I would love to hear some ideas for lower elevation hikes.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 7:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hard to get. "Lower elevation" than the Lost Coast  Trail, unless you scuba.

Or something thereabouts. The Coast Redwoods are a treat as well.
 Post Number: 3
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 8:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You should look at the interactive map on the California State Park page, then the BLM website. Then look at the central coast area. Then look at East Bay Regional Parks for the Ohlone trail.

That should give you nearly everything Bay Area and north-ish under 4,000 feet. Henry Coe State Park could have you out there for two weeks if you had good intel and planned around water sources.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 4
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 9:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"don't want to cancel for weather"

Isn't there a fair chance of serious rain on the Lost Coast in March?
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 12:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More than some months less than a lot of others.

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?cashel+nca

Otoh the human body is not water soluble and it won't snow...
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 6:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you for your replies.

The group I hike with will generally not back out on a trip because of rain in the forecast, but snow is another story.  We have been snowed on before in plumas national forest, and I loved that trip, but I know it was a bit out of some of my friends comfort level, and they most likely would opt out of a higher elevation hike where we could see snow.

We hiked the southern section of the lost coast last april, and I think that another coastal redwoods hike would be great.  Henry Coe looks like a cool destination too.
 Post Number: 7
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 7:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(retfird @ Jan. 22 2013, 2:56 pm)
Hello all,
I am trying to plan a trip in Mid march, to try and get an extra early season trip in.  I'm having a hard go of it because I want to keep out of the bulk of the snow.  I would like to stay below say, 3500-4000 feet, because I have to schedule vacation for trips in advance and don't want to cancel for weather.

I would love to hear some ideas for lower elevation hikes.

How about the Cache Creek Wilderness?   Mid-March should have nice weather there, at least if you don't get rained on. No chance of snow.

Or try the least used national forest in the USA, the Mendocino National Forest.

-Don-  SF, CA

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
 Post Number: 8
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 4:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ishi Wilderness, north of Chico, might be another possibility. Haven't hiked there myself, but it's always looked kind of intriguing.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 6:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

WE've also done some hiking in Henry Coe State Park...very steep hills, and you can get away from the crowds.

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
 Post Number: 10
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On a side note, your "below 4,000 foot stipulation" immediately sent up some personal red flags.
I regularly used to do Big Sur area, Lost Coast, Marin Headlands, Sutter Buttes, and even Sespe Creek areas and discovered that they all have one thing in common - poison oak.  
After a Salmon Creek campfire and being exposed to the urushiol oil in the smoke…(ACK!...woke up looking like Shrek.)
Research soon discovered that Poison Oak does not grow much above 4,000 in California.
After that 6-month torture (Got it on the boys too)…now I only hike above 4,000.
Just saying.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 11
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 2:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(markskor @ Jan. 25 2013, 2:19 pm)
On a side note, your "below 4,000 foot stipulation" immediately sent up some personal red flags.
I regularly used to do Big Sur area, Lost Coast, Marin Headlands, Sutter Buttes, and even Sespe Creek areas and discovered that they all have one thing in common - poison oak.  
After a Salmon Creek campfire and being exposed to the urushiol oil in the smoke…(ACK!...woke up looking like Shrek.)
Research soon discovered that Poison Oak does not grow much above 4,000 in California.
After that 6-month torture (Got it on the boys too)…now I only hike above 4,000.
Just saying.

It can usually be avoided if you stay on-trail...but even on-trail I recommend eternal vigilance (since it often encroaches on the trail clearance).  

First thing I did when I moved out to CA 36 years ago was learn to recognize poison oak. (Only had it once since then, and only on a tiny patch of skin on my hand--but man, that experience made me glad it wasn't worse.) I would recommend that anyone planning to hike in the Coast Ranges & Sierra foothils do the same.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 12
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 7:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Henry Coe

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 13
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 11:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ventana Wilderness

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
 Post Number: 14
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cache Creek isn't bad. Good views, steep trails, no people, you might see some elk and golden eagles. Nothing truly spectacular, except for the lack of people (if you go before turkey season) so close to the Bay Area. You might avoid snow in the Yolla Bolly Wilderness as well, and even fewer people.
Point Reyes National Seashore, if you can score a permit, would be world class.

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 15
BSuess Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 10:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It would be tough to string together a long trip, but Hood Mountain, by Santa Rosa is a really underrated mountain that has great topography, interesting scenery, great summit views and a pretty backcountry campsite:

--------------
Hikemtshasta.com
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 6:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think my group has come to a consensus, and we are going to hike the Ishi wilderness.  We put together a four day, 30 mile (as the crow flies) loop starting at the black rock campground in the northern part of the area.  I just did a dual sport scouting run through the area this weekend, and it looks beautiful.  

Thank you all for your suggestions.
 Post Number: 17
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2013, 12:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wish you an enjoyable excursion, and I'll be looking for a trip report. I went pig-hunting in there years ago, and all I remember is sharp lava rock, little water, and lots of poison oak and rattlesnakes! I've always wanted to go back, though--don't really know why.

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 18
BSuess Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2013, 6:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Ishi is beautiful. You can see some images hereif anyone is interested. Fair warning: if you are planning a loop, you may run into some serious problems with trail over growth. I have not tried any trails other than the main Deer Creek and Mill Creek Trails for a few years now but there has been little to no maintenance. You may have trouble with brush and with faint trails, especially once you get away from the creek and ridgetop trails. In my opinion, the nicest spot in the whole area is when Mill Creek wraps around Black Rock. There is a nice rocky beach where the creek shoots through a slot at the base of the Rock. You can climb it from the road as it climbs out the south side of the canyon too.

--------------
Hikemtshasta.com
17 replies since Jan. 22 2013, 5:56 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Looking for destination ideas in northern CA
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions