2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Rec's needed for weeklong hike in AZ, early March< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
metalman390 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 2:39 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got some time in early March that I am looking to spend hiking somewhere relatively "warm", compared to Michigan anyways. I'm looking at Arizona, more specifically the Superstition Wilderness or the Sedona area. I will have 6 days, and am looking for a longer trail that I can hike as a loop. High mileage is ok, I am looking for a challenge. MUST be scenic!

Suggestions?

--------------
MetalBackpacker.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 9:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Superstitions are perfect at that time of year.  One of the Charelbois loops is a good start, and you can tack on side trips to stretch it out.  Check out HAZ for a lot of detailed trail info and trip reports.
 Post Number: 3
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 3:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Absolutely, do the Supes
Here is a source of easy to read trail maps:
http://www.superstition-sar.org/maps.htm

:D Edit: Just noticed your mandate “Must be scenic”
It will have you covered in that category  :D

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 4
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+2 on the Superstitions.  Looping in and out of the Reavis Ranch area should be about perfect (the Reavis Falls are not on any official map btw).  In January the falls are usually icy but should be great in March.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 7:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the replies. Looks like a pretty good time of year to go, but being so close to Phoenix, will it be "crowded"?

Regarding campsites, anybody care to share your favorites?

--------------
MetalBackpacker.com
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(metalman390 @ Jan. 27 2013, 7:05 pm)
Thanks for the replies. Looks like a pretty good time of year to go, but being so close to Phoenix, will it be "crowded"?

Regarding campsites, anybody care to share your favorites?

There are a small set of trails that get a lot of dayhiker traffic, mainly those from the First Water TH and Peralta TH, and really just a subset of the latter.  Reavis Ranch gets a lot of backpacker/horse traffic, mostly from the southern approach and mostly on weekends.  The ranch has vast areas suitable for camping, so it rarely feels crowded.

Reavis Falls gets very little traffic.  The Charlebois loops get some, but I've never seen more than one or two groups in a day, and often none.

I can say more when you narrow in on a hike, if its somewhere I'm familiar with.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 12:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jan. 27 2013, 9:08 pm)
There are a small set of trails that get a lot of dayhiker traffic

Cool. I figured as much, but you never know.

Well, I'm thinking of beginning at Canyon Lake TH  and hiking a big loop, something like this:

I plotted this track in Garmin Basecamp, it's 53 miles, 15,370ft in total elevation gain. I want to see the falls, but the same route modified to include the falls was 73 miles. So I'll have to think about that.

How's the water situation in early March?

**Edit** The picture came out pretty small, but if you right click it and click "view image" you can view a much larger version of it.

--------------
MetalBackpacker.com
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's enough detail to see where you're going.  Hackberry Spring looks like your first water stop.  Others may disagree, but I think it's really hard to find, although there are often small pools in that area.  You don't hit high-reliability water until Charlebois, which is likely to be on the second day.  You can hit water early on the first day if you go to LaBarge Box (lower, not the one that's prominently marked, which the upper box), but that's a slightly different route.

LaBarge Spring is the only other really good source I know of on that route, so it's as much as three days from there back around to Canyon Lake.  There will be some slow going on this trip.  I'd probably break it into two pieces, and shorten the longest dry stretch as much as possible. (I'm not familiar with the sources beyond the Upper LaBarge Box on that route, but that's generally pretty dry.  I would definitely check the Spring Reports at HAZ.  A lot of springs found on the map are seasonal, and after plenty of dry years, some aren't even seasonal any more).
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 10:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks again for the info. I just joined over at HAZ after browsing the site for the last week. It took me a while to find the spring reports. Lots of good info on this site, I'm checking out the water sources now.

--------------
MetalBackpacker.com
 Post Number: 10
BrettGordon Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 10:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's a bit north of there, but the Grand Gulch area on the Utah border is a great area for a few days.  We just did some day hiking there:  Grand Gulch Hiking

--------------
My Hiking, Trekking and Travel Pics and Videos
 Post Number: 11
Rics Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 5:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another oprtion wold be the Arizona Trail which begins near Patagonia and runw north to the Utah border.
Rics

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 12
null Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 7:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Quick note.  Reavis Falls is not a loop, it's an out-and-back.  It's pretty sweet though.  

If you do a loop in that area, try to loop in Reavis Ranch and the Labarge Box.

Steve

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
http://www.fitpacking.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 9:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(null @ Feb. 06 2013, 7:14 pm)
Quick note.  Reavis Falls is not a loop, it's an out-and-back.  It's pretty sweet though.  

If you do a loop in that area, try to loop in Reavis Ranch and the Labarge Box.

Steve

It may not technically be considered a loop, but it's pretty close. Here's what I've got planned now:

http://hikearizona.com/dex2....#p88433

--------------
MetalBackpacker.com
12 replies since Jan. 24 2013, 2:39 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Rec's needed for weeklong hike in AZ, early March
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions