2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Yosemite: Clouds Rest Tr to Half Dome, Water availability near trail< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 12:23 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We got lucky and "won" a wilderness permit for the Yosemite NP trail for July 2013. Basic itinerary is Tenaya Lks/Sunrise Lks trailhead over Clouds Rest, side trip up Half Dome cables, to Little Yosemite, and out to the Happy Aisles trailhead.

Where is the closest reliable water source to the Half Dome trail cutoff if you're coming from the north?

We want to camp as close as possible to the cutoff to Half Dome, in order to get an early start on the cables and avoid afternoon thunderstorms on Half Dome.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 1:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would camp at Sunrise Creek. Or, fill up all the bottles and dry camp on the ridge just before the dome.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 12:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, Sunrise lasts the longest and this year should be at least normal unlike last (though still somewhat early days).

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/reports/EXECSUM
 Post Number: 4
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 1:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Suggest 3 nights -
Car in Curry Orchard - stay Valley BP camp, morning Curry bus to Tenaya TH. Lowest Sunrise Lake makes a good 1st night destination.
Easy day (late start) -  fill up all water (I took a few gallon milk jugs.) - spend the night atop Clouds Rest - plenty of room - killer views.
Next day, bag the Dome, (sans packs - stashed) on the way down to LYV...or even all the way down via JMT to the beer and Curry Pizza.

Classic trip and best if not rushed through.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 5:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All good info, thanks. I've heard there is reliable water about a half mile east of the JMT and Clouds Rest Trail junction. Is this correct.

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's an intermittent stream that is seasonally available: I'd say check with backcountry rangers shortly before leaving for your trip as those snowmelt dependent (even if through groundwater from higher up snowmelt) sources both vary from year to year and week to week through the season. Though this year is looking better than last (when most everything dried up early, Sunrise and Rafferty both were gone in early August!, Sunrise HSC was rationing water..) so far at about 140% of average per CDEC.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 10:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds good.
We'll have three young teens on their first backpack, so I was thinking of a short first day (leaving time for the shuttle, etc) and stopping for the first night at 37.7902 degrees N/119.4613 W on the CRT where there's a lake, and then proceeding over Clouds Rest on Day 2 to camp at the possible water source at 37.746N/119.4947 0.5 mi east of the JM and CR trail jct for the second night (if there's water).
Day 3 would be up the cables and back down to LYV. Day 4 down the Mist Trail to Happy Aisles/beer/ice cream.
Whaddya think?

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 8
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 1:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(waterdog @ Feb. 07 2013, 10:47 pm)
Day 4 down the Mist Trail to Happy Aisles/beer/ice cream.
Whaddya think?

So you're going to the grocery store? They do have happy aisles with beer and ice cream....

I prefer up the Mist Trail from Happy Isles, and down the JMT. But your knees may be more tolerant.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 9
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 9:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is the spring just off the HD trail no longer active? I've read a bunch of reports of getting water there.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 9:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(topshot @ Feb. 08 2013, 9:26 am)
Is the spring just off the HD trail no longer active? I've read a bunch of reports of getting water there.

Interesting--I'm not aware of a spring near the 1/2 Dome trail. If there is one, I'd love to get the GPS coordinates for it.

Park Service says the Merced in Little Yosemite is the last water source on the way from Happy Aisles to the 1/2 Dome cables.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 10:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No coordinates but...
Water is available  if going CR - HD - LYV.

If coming from Sunrise, last water is that small spring ~2 miles before CR. Fill up here and spend the night atop CR.
Next water is 1 1/4 miles south of CR (drop 1000 feet) - a small artesian pool  - right on the trail.
Sunrise Creek is next - good camping spots along the river.
About 1/4 mile past the last HD trail junction (HD / CR junction), just off the HD trail on the left hand side is a small artesian spring...maybe 2 miles from the cables. This  spring has always held water - last year was an exception.
The pipe - about 200 yards north of the spring but off trail and must be shown exact location.
The Merced is the next available  water.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 10:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's shown on topos, but since those are pretty old they may not be flowing anymore (one at Snag Lake in Lassen wasn't), but here's some reports from last summer and GPS coords.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 10:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Day 4 down the Mist Trail to Happy Aisles/beer/ice cream.
Whaddya think?

I think the young teens would also like pizza with their beer and ice cream.  :;):
 Post Number: 14
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 10:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Been reading discussion about the spring off the HD trail on a different forum, someone there posted coordinates of 37.75012 -119.51352 or 37 45'00N 119 30'49W. Apparently the topos show it in the wrong place -- close, but not accurate. These coordinates were walked and verified recently by someone reliable, but I can't personally vouch for them.

When in July will you be there? Me too.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 15
smokehiker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 11:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds good.
We'll have three young teens on their first backpack, so I was thinking of a short first day (leaving time for the shuttle, etc) and stopping for the first night at 37.7902 degrees N/119.4613 W on the CRT where there's a lake, and then proceeding over Clouds Rest on Day 2 to camp at the possible water source at 37.746N/119.4947 0.5 mi east of the JM and CR trail jct for the second night (if there's water).
Day 3 would be up the cables and back down to LYV. Day 4 down the Mist Trail to Happy Aisles/beer/ice cream.
Whaddya think?

We have camped on Sunrise Creek east of the JM and CR junction a few times over the past 10 years (always in September) and have had reliable water each time.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 12:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ Feb. 08 2013, 10:39 am)

Not the OP, but my son and I plan to start from Agnew Meadows July 3 and finish July 7.  On the 8th putz around GP area and then head to Mono Lake area.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds nice. I'll be there 19th thru 28th...

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 12:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ Feb. 08 2013, 10:39 am)
Been reading discussion about the spring off the HD trail on a different forum, someone there posted coordinates of 37.75012 -119.51352 or 37 45'00N 119 30'49W. Apparently the topos show it in the wrong place -- close, but not accurate. These coordinates were walked and verified recently by someone reliable, but I can't personally vouch for them.

Now that is some excellent information, thanks. Which forum did you find that on?

Our entry date is 7/17; we'll probably try to spend the previous night at the Yosemite Creek CG off Tioga Pass Rd.
We're looking at getting to the Valley floor on the 20th.

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

waterdog- Your permit gives you the ability to simply stay the night at the Tuolumne Meadows backpacking campground which if Yosemite Creek is open would surely be available (and a FAR better access drive unless you've got a rock crawler vehicle and actually enjoy blind curve single lane roads with nice unprotected drop-offs...: though to it's benefit the spots over the bridge are nice.)

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bpcamp.htm
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(markskor @ Feb. 08 2013, 10:05 am)
About 1/4 mile past the last HD trail junction (HD / CR junction), just off the HD trail on the left hand side is a small artesian spring...maybe 2 miles from the cables. This  spring has always held water - last year was an exception.
The pipe - about 200 yards north of the spring but off trail and must be shown exact location.

Is this the same spring JRinGeorgia mentioned:

"Been reading discussion about the spring off the HD trail on a different forum, someone there posted coordinates of 37.75012 -119.51352 or 37 45'00N 119 30'49W. Apparently the topos show it in the wrong place -- close, but not accurate. These coordinates were walked and verified recently by someone reliable, but I can't personally vouch for them."

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 1:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Feb. 08 2013, 1:09 pm)
waterdog- Your permit gives you the ability to simply stay the night at the Tuolumne Meadows backpacking campground which if Yosemite Creek is open would surely be available (and a FAR better access drive unless you've got a rock crawler vehicle and actually enjoy blind curve single lane roads with nice unprotected drop-offs...: though to it's benefit the spots over the bridge are nice.)

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bpcamp.htm

Thanks, High Sierra Fan.

Come to think of it, I DO like that kind of road! How long does it take to get into YC CG from the Tioga Pass Rd on that sketchy road. My 4wd Tacoma shouldn't have a problem.

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 1:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah with a Tacoma the rough road surface won't be a problem, though there were some monster potholes as they're not maniacal about surface repair and the higher viewpoint will help on some of the blind curves.

Time wise is a bit tough to remember: I ended to focus on the driving and I always "lose" my watch when I'm there but, probably closer to 30 minutes or a bit plus. It's a lot longer approach than Porcupine or Tamarack.

There's a nice map which is handy when scouting a spot:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/ycreekcamp.htm
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(waterdog @ Feb. 08 2013, 1:09 pm)
Is this the same spring JRinGeorgia mentioned

I think it is -- the one I am referring to is funneled to a pipe and is on the HD trail shortly after the junction.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 5:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you're on the Half Dome trail spur and are hiking towards the subdome and the cables is this piped spring on the northeast (right) side of the trail, or the southwest (left) side?

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 08 2013, 6:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The one I am referring to is on the east as you head up towards HD  -- actually it's on the east when you're coming back down too ;-). But heading up it would be on the right. Not directly on the HD trail, from what I'm reading it's a hundred yards or so off the trail.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
24 replies since Feb. 07 2013, 12:23 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Yosemite: Clouds Rest Tr to Half Dome
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions