2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Whitney Permit ?, Permit needed if entering through Inyo< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jmsamr Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 5:06 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After striking out with multiple permit options at Yosemite  :(  we are thinking of trying to do a 40 mile Whitney hike.  If we start our hike in the Inyo National Forest and end the hike with Mt. Whitney how do I acquire a permit?  Do I have to put in for the regular Whitney lottery?

Thanks
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Exiting out Whitney Portal after dipping into Sequoia and/or Kings Canyon?

Then:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5404644.pdf

"What permits for Mt Whitney are Not reserved in the lottery? If your trip is overnight and your not going up the Mt Whitney Trail, your trip is Not in the lottery. These trails can be reserved online up to 6 months in advance of the entry date at www.Recreation.gov
Look for Inyo National Forest- Wilderness Permits to find our list of trails.
North Fork of Lone Pine Creek trail is used to access the Mountaineer’s Route, East Face / Buttress, Mt. Russell and other climbs in this isolated canyon.
Trips that will exit the Mt Whitney trail (Trail Crest to Whitney Portal) have an exit quota that will apply to the date you finish at the Portal. These dates fill quickly. Reserve the entry trail using the permit type “Exit Mt. Whitney”. Be sure your dates are what you want; exit date can not be saved if you change the entry date."

So you'd use recreation.gov and just choose the Whitney Trail as the exit trail etc.
 Post Number: 3
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2013, 9:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would go play trailhead bingo in Yosemite.

I have never failed to get a popular trailhead - I got Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne on a walk in, also got Lyell canyon going south that way. People walk out on reserved permits all the time. 40% of the permits are kept by for walk ins the day before start. The backpacker campgrounds are nice enough.

If you're arriving at Tuolumne Meadows via YARTS you can stay in the backpacker campground without a permit.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 4
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 10:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What she said goes for Whitney too. If you can't get the reservation you want, there will still be a bunch available first come-first served at the ranger station when you pick up your actual permit.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 2:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As a solo walk ups  have always worked for me also: but that diminishes as the group size grows and the OP did write "we". Also for Yosemite they must have had something very specific in mind as close to all the trailheads show not full in the report.

http://www.nps.gov/feature....tes.htm

They're working on fixing the updating glitch.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 7:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We (3 backpackers ) have very specific dates but we requested several different entry points all of which were rejected.  There are walk up permits but I don't want to rely on those because we are flying from IL. If one group is first in line and take all 8 we are SOL.  I called and talked to the permit office and an alternate route was available (glacier point to red peak pass back to happy isles, lots of miles). So I did reserve it in case whitney falls through.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 16 2013, 7:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On the plus side the Triple Peak fork of the Merced is very nice and not popular in comparison to the trails out of either Happy Isles or Tuolumne. The High Trail alternative being even emptier.

The interactive recreation.gov page is straightforward, I ran my summer dates as a mock trip just to see what's what. Good luck when your trip window opens! Had you noticed the reservation windows are different for Yosemite and Inyo? Inyo's 6 month window means everything though August 16 is already available for reservation while for a Yosemite August 4 (my date) just opens tomorrow.

ETA: if you didn't want the mileage or the elevation gain involved with going over Red Peak Pass etc. you might look at the map for loops south of the Illilouette, maybe swing up to the Ottoway Lakes but then break south: swinging through the Buena Vista area and such. The exit TH is changeable when you pick up your permit since the quota is the entrance TH. You could even go so far as exiting at Wawona rather than looping as there's a shuttle bus to Glacier Point from there.
 Post Number: 8
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 1:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you are not set in concrete to approach Whitney via the west side, you might consider east side (US 395 and 5 hours +- from LAX/Reno/Las Vegas) Lone Pine to Horseshoe Meadows entry (just a few miles south of Whitney Portal), then exit either over Shepherd Pass or Onion Valley to Independence (or vice versa).

You would be doing Whitney from the west side.  Its about a 6/7 day walk with a day hike of Whitney from the west.  (Horseshoe Meadows), Cottonwood Lakes, Rock Creek, Guitar Lake, Guitar Lake, Tyndall Creek, Vidette Meadows (Onion Valley)

You would also have 14er options on Mt Langley, Williamson and Mt Tyndall en route.

It is a two hour car shuttle or a couple of hitch hikes.  Best thumb ride up/down hill is to Onion Valley to/from Independence.

You still need a Whitney permit and this doesn't solve the exit at Whitney Portal.  But it too is spectacular scenery.

Starting from Lone Pine you are exposed to higher altitude to start with - trial head is at 10,500'. 12,300' New Army pass is the next day.  You can take the longer but lower alternative via Cottonwood Pass.  Trail head at Onion Valley is 9,100' and 4 miles up and over 11,760 ' Kearsarge Pass to the lower lakes or Vidette Meadows on the first day. On the bright side, these altitudes are 'routine' in the Sierra.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2013, 1:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since the OP wrote Inyo I've gotta figure they've got one of your suggestions or another Owens Valley TH in mind already. That's how I read it anyway.

But since they already made a Yosemite reservation their date has been available for a while so that Whitney exit doesn't give me a good feeling.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 5:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've often wondered if the fine of being caught (most likely) on the way down from the Ridge might be worth the alternative of a 3 day extra walk out :p .  Especially if factoring in rental car, extra food and vacation time from work.

I once had a genuine Portal exit but left top a 2AM.  Didn't find anybody looking for current permits on the way down.  Sort of like sneaking into the old drive-in movies with a trunk full of friends.

That part of the Sierra is worth 6-8 days out of a lifetime.  Especially if the original plan was to do most of the JMT (from Yosemite) to get to Whitney.   Just tag the top and take a few more days to finish the trip and recover the rental.

I suppose they can use the Yosemite Whitney zone exit permit if they can overlap it with an entry permit from one of the east side feeder trail heads.  Even a trail head near Whitney Meadows might be viable if the don't mind an extra day or so.

Now that Mt Williamson is available all year, Shepherd Pass is going to be more difficult to get one of the rare reserved trail permits for an express entry to the high Sierra.

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2013, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What happened with Williamson? They give up on the Sierra Bighorn Sheep?
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 8:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dunno. I just noticed that there were no restrictions.  I've only seen sheep on the south (ish) side coming up George Creek and not in the bowl or near the pass.  Apparently all approaches are lifted.

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=1399534

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 9:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The route to Whitney that we are entertaining was starting at Horseshoe meadows.  If we are entering through Inyo and climbing Whitney do we get all permits through reserve.gov.  Or do we have to do two separate permits?
Thanks for all the help!
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 9:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jmsamr @ Feb. 19 2013, 6:06 pm)
The route to Whitney that we are entertaining was starting at Horseshoe meadows.  If we are entering through Inyo and climbing Whitney do we get all permits through reserve.gov.  Or do we have to do two separate permits?
Thanks for all the help!

Just the one. Read what I quoted off the Inyo FAQ page about that in post 2

"Trips that will exit the Mt Whitney trail (Trail Crest to Whitney Portal) have an exit quota that will apply to the date you finish at the Portal. These dates fill quickly. Reserve the entry trail using the permit type “Exit Mt. Whitney”. Be sure your dates are what you want; exit date can not be saved if you change the entry date.""
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 11:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

End of July is a better start date if there turns out to be a lot of snow this year especially in the southern Sierra.  At the junction about 2 miles in don't take the trail to New Army Pass - take the fork to the right. The backpacker's "preferred" route is over OLD Army Pass from Cottonwood Lake 5.  Although an abandoned trail, the route is still there and used by mule packers too.  It is about 400' lower than NEW Army Pass from the other drainage.

Snow lingers on the last 100 yards or so of the path even into late summer - at times.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=36.49339,-118.20890&z=15&t=T

We usually follow up Muir Lake's drainage to the lake for the first night.  The lake is less crowded and a bit lower.  Its about an hour from Muir to the start of the trail from the Lake 5.  Leaving Muir near its drainage, stay close to the tree line and pick up a trace that will keep the swampy parts well on your left.  Keep walking cross country until you get at about the altitude of Lake 5 and then cross to the fisherman's trail around the north side.  There are only a few places to camp near Lake 5.

http://www.summitpost.org/route-up-old-army-pass/7987/c-156296

http://www.summitpost.org/army-pass-normal-route/156296

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 12:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The first available July exit date for Whitney is currently July 5>9 at 9, 10, 6, 3 and 3 available. Later in July is pretty much booked. But it's easy to browse:
http://www.recreation.gov/permits....yType=1
15 replies since Feb. 15 2013, 5:06 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Whitney Permit ?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions