2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Upcoming Superstitions Hike< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RedDoug Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 11:31 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As soon as the weather breaks- hopefully Friday, I plan to take a 5- 7 day trip in the eastern end of the Superstition Mts.  Few hikers ever get over to that end of the Superstitions.  Angel Basin is a great place and the trails are.....  ??  Last the time I was through that end of the the Supers the tr. 212 was all over grown with catsclaw and I expect that this time, too.

My intended hike is:

Start from Miles TH.
Tr 212 to Tr 213.
Tr 213 to Tr 118
Tr 118 to Tr 109
Tr 109 to Tr 112
Tr 112 to Tr 110 and a night at Angel Basin
Tr 110 to Tr 109- Roger's Spgs.
At Roger's spring TH pick up the 212 and follow it back to Miles TH.

I am planning on doing this in 5- 7 days.  2 weeks ago I was day hiking out of Peralta TH and there was adaquate water in the backcountry and with the snow today and rain I am sure conditions are only impoving.  

the Superstition mts are a unique and wonderful wilderness experience this time of year.

--------------
No Shame- Proud to be an American
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
John13np Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 7:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds great! I love the area around there, have only been to the east side once. Because i lived in Flagstaff it was difficult for me to make it down that way too often because southern UT keep dragging me up that way.

Have a blast!

--------------
"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list"

..."May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Ed Abbey

Post Number: 3
BSuess Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 9:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am envious. The Superstitions sound great right now. We can't seem to shake the snow here, not that I expected to this time of year. I have only done a couple of hikes in that area but it is a fascinating wilderness. Have fun!

--------------
Hikemtshasta.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From Florence which is south of the Supers all I see are white tops this morning.

Probably take the 15* bag this weekend.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 3:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RedDoug @ Feb. 21 2013, 9:56 am)
From Florence which is south of the Supers all I see are white tops this morning.

Probably take the 15* bag this weekend.

Taking the 15 degree bag is probably a good idea. The day temps should be in the low 40's but little to no rain or clouds.

I've never been to the east side before. The AzTrail goes from Roger's Trough to Reavis Ranch to Walnut Spring to Cottonwood Spring to Roosevelt Lake.

I'm out of the Supers now having finished the Four Peaks area in November and heading north towards the dreaded Mazatzals.

Have fun Doug. Being a cancer survivor, overcoming a foot injury and hiking in that terrain says a lot about your fortitude.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 6
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2013, 11:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It should be fun.  You're undoubtedly right about the catclaw.  I bring clippers when I hike on the brushier trails.

Have a great hike!
 Post Number: 7
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 4:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

15* bag and a tent or consider rigging a tarp
I was out there the middle of March last year.
One night I didn’t take the time to rig my tarp and woke up at 5:30 am cold and damp…hoar frost had coated my sleeping bag.  There are still people out there that don’t believe me.

Oh, never did get all of the blood stains out of my clothes … catclaw

Damn, I need to get back up there while the water is still easy to find.  It is a spectacular place.

N-joy

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2013, 7:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Altered trip report.

Hiking in on the Pinto Creek Tr 212 I missed Tr. 213. The map I have shows Tr 213 coming directly off the 212, but that is not the case.  Tr 256 or 259 connects to the 213 so I missed 213 and just followed 212 to the connecting trails that took me over to Roger Canyon Cliff Swellings and then a short distance on past that to Angel Basin which is a very beautiful spot in the Superstitions.

I took me two days to make the hike in to Angel Basin.  On the way back on Tuesday I planned to get back to the spot I camped on Monday night on the 212 but somehow I missed that spot completely.  Never noticed it again.  I just kept hiking and hiking and thinking, "How slow am I anyway?"  And suddenly it was just getting very late and I came upon the signposts for Tr 256 (or 259?) and it hit me I was only about 2 hrs max from the TH or the 212 so I hiked on out Tuesday night arriving back at my car just as total blackness set in.

Ele at the starting TH was about 3500'.  Top  ele was around 5300'.  The nights were cold dropping down well below freezing.  The water in my unprotected bottles just about froze solid.  

I was trying some tricks to see if I could get my summer sb rated to about 30*  work.  I was hoping to take this bag on my New Mexico CDT hike coming up.  Tricks didn't work, I was cold both nights waking up adjusting my mini-down comforter inside my bag, rubbng my body and then falling back to sleep.  

I estimate the distance from Miles TH to Angel Basin to be about 15- 16 miles with numerous ups and downs. What a work out getting out in one day!

And now I have a cold.  :(  

it was a good shakedown hike for my upcoming CDT hike.  I was also trying out a new Zpack Hexamid solo plus tarp tent.  So the trip was important for trying out some new gear and old equipment.  

Note: When the batteries in a StiriPen quit, they quit.  Glad I had a back up filter with me.

--------------
7 replies since Feb. 20 2013, 11:31 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Upcoming Superstitions Hike
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions