2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Yosemite Mid April, Planning a trip< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
dsburke1 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2013, 10:05 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey guys, ski season is will be coming to an end soon. I'm looking to hit the road for a trip to Yosemite on April 17th. I have zero obligation for some time. I was just looking for some readers advice on Yosemite in mid April. I would like to be able to hike as much as possible. Any info or backpacking routes would be great!

Thanks guys
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2013, 10:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The snow level in mid-April would be anywhere from 4,000 up to about 7,000 feet.  That means all of the high country would be under snow.  Best trails then would be out of the valley, or along the North Rim, which has good southern exposure and so melts earlier.

We've done Hetch-hetchy at that time of year, but that road is now closed, and they aren't making any promises about when it will open again.,

If you check out our website, there is a whole section on Yosemite in the destination section....and even one on how to get away from the crowds in the Valley...

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2013, 1:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes any longer April routes you'd do in Yosemite would be snow routes. Fun but a specialized experience. Were the snow levels to be a bit high from a lighter snow year above O'Shaunessey (Hetch Hetchy) dam might be clearer but their new timeline for the road being opened is a bit vague, just "Yosemite National Park A portion of the road washed out and we hope it will open sometime next month. The Hetch Hetchy Road is the only way into Hetch Hetchy Valley." now that was posted February 28th so April is seeming better for access... per the Yosemite Facebook page when someone directly asked the status.

There's a reason the Sierra ski season, meaning Mammoth just to the east of he park, often doesn't end until July!
 Post Number: 4
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 11:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(balzaccom @ Mar. 03 2013, 10:54 am)
If you check out our website, there is a whole section . . . on how to get away from the crowds in the Valley...

Why on earth would you post that?

You want the crowds in the Valley to know there's a park two miles away?

Some information is best kept close at hand, while some people would sell their mothers.

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 5
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2013, 12:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(waterdog @ Mar. 05 2013, 8:28 pm)

(balzaccom @ Mar. 03 2013, 10:54 am)
If you check out our website, there is a whole section . . . on how to get away from the crowds in the Valley...

Why on earth would you post that?

You want the crowds in the Valley to know there's a park two miles away?

Some information is best kept close at hand, while some people would sell their mothers.

:D

Not a chance for most. The screams of anguish over the Merced River Plan having as an option elimination of the swimming pools and ice rink show that. Now I'm agnostic on the ice rink as I don't see the environmental harm but the comments make it sound like people's entire reason for coming to the park is being ripped from them.

It's a little disturbing to read actually.
 Post Number: 6
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2013, 7:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

For many just hanging out and (maybe) getting up early to see the mist laying on meadows or just to get early morning pictures or just a start on the day in the valley is what they are there for.  

I've gotten mostly stares of awe or complete lack of understanding what I am talking about when I mention trails that out of the valley (and the Meadow) for hundreds or even a thousand miles.

Yosemite are the hotels, the camp fires and the ranger walks and what can be done in between while they are on vacation.  To some this is so very much more spectacular than a float down a midwest river or spending times in the lower Whites in the fall.

Not everybody is enlightened.  

But I do sympathize with those that only see that part of the Sierra and wouldn't trade it for anything else in the world.  For those, a bus ride to Devils Post Pile and dropped off in the dust will have memories and photos on Christmas cards and non stop jabber with all their friends about the wonders they have seen.  

Most of the US is really REALLY flat.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
5 replies since Mar. 03 2013, 10:05 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Yosemite Mid April
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions