2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Any Must See Side trails on the JMT?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wornoutboots Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2013, 11:01 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got my permits for August to Thru hike the JMT & Climb Half Dome. Are there any side trails that are a "must see"? I'm planning on lollygagging it & taking my time. I'll be leaving out of the Glacier Point TH to LYV day one & day hiking the 1st section while I stay at the backpackers CG the night before. Thanks

--------------
Take time to watch the trees dance with the wind......then join in
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 12:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On the stretch alongside the Ritter-Banner Range look at the Ediza-Iceberg Lake-Minaret Lake section.  Oh and a loop around Thousand Island Lake is a fun jaunt.

At the other end: just after Forester Pass there's Lake South America, which is (IMHO) a meh, but the trail that leads off that way and down the other side of the ridge heading towards the Kings-Kern Divide and Mt. Genevra to Milsestone Mtn and  Milestone Creek etc. is a very unvisited corner of the mountains. One of the few places the trail is a boot width wide. Or you could pop out East from there and snag Mt. Williamson.
 Post Number: 3
larrys Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2013, 7:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did not go there but heard the Sixty Lakes Basin near Rae Lakes is nice.
 Post Number: 4
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2013, 11:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Appreciate that you are lollygagging the Muir – a wise choice never to rush through the best of all trails, (too many do).
Couple of Q’s -
Are you lollygagging in 15 days, 22 days, or 32?
You say permits…how many are going along with you?
Are you fishing?

Doing the Muir is not a solitary spiritual quest along some verdant alpine corridor, rather more akin to a travelling circus, clowns and all – suggest just jump on the bus and enjoy the entire ride. The Muir is rich with opportunities, all depending on what lollygagging actually means to you and how gregarious you want it to be.

You asked about places not to miss along the trail. As I remember, for me the trail didn’t really start/feel right until after Tuolumne…the crowds, the uphill, the newness.
Sitting on the picnic table in front of the Tuolumne store, drinking a cold one (or six) with all the other thru hikers now friends – game on. Hopefully you got your trail name – (FYI, you cannot give yourself one).
From there on, lollygaggers should make all trail decisions based solely on current conditions and the craziness capacity of companions. You will soon become acquainted/hop-scotch along with 25 – 40 other Muir denizens… being flexible will pay dividends. Be warned though, half are certifiable…which half are you in?

Lyell glacier, 1000 Island Lake loop – (backside hump over to Garnet) – entire area definitely worth a zero day. Milkshake and hot tub at Reds Meadow/Devils Postpile store stood out as noteworthy too. MTR was OK but my $128 VVR bar bill (rib-eye night) was worth every penny. BTW, There is also a nice hot springs nearby not to miss…ask.
Lots of passes, highs and lows; Silver, Mather, Forrester, and Pinchot - sometimes it rained all day… Rae Lakes, Marie Lake, up the Kern... Muir hut, Evolution Valley - Wanda – we climbed Mt Darwin… visited Landmark Col. Make sure you use the famous outside crapper at Crabtree Meadows - memorable.
Miter Basin, Crabtree Lakes, Guitar Lake – Whitney.
A Portal burger will get you down the hill and believe it or not, even for lollygaggers, it will be over all too soon.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's just me going solo, I'll thinking @20 days. As in lollygagging, I'll be swimming along the way, taking looong break at great vistas. I don't mind throwing in a few 5-10 mile off trail "Must See"Places. I really thought about fishing, but decided it may be too much work after hiking & site seeing all day. No comment on the certifiably crazy :cool:  I'd love to have a few beers at my resupply stops, Reds, Muir Ranch & VVC. do they all sell beer or should I mail myself some??

Thanks everyone!! I just received my Harrison Map Pack & I'm hoping to start going thru it this weekend.

--------------
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 5:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd also love to camp up high during the fuller moon phases, is this recommended? Any pros & cons? I've never camped at those elevations. Much Night hiking go on on the JMT?

Thanks Again!

--------------
 Post Number: 7
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 11:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not much of a night hiker myself -
Usually fishing till dark – (stumbling/finding my way back to camp is hard enough), then... sleeping?

In times past, (when camping was still allowed), there were summer Full Moon parties atop Half Dome, drawing hundreds of revelers. (Maybe you will get lucky and your trip will coincide with the full moon here?).
I recall sitting along the rim with friends, looking out and down, the sun setting over a series of distant foothills. Watching the Valley 4000 feet below - campfires and street lights, cars and shuttle buses, everyone (easily over 200 that night) grew quiet as the shadows poured out over Yosemite Valley. Oranges and greens turned to purples and browns.

After a somewhat “spiritual” silence, (frickin' eerie?), the moon popped up over Mount Lyell and as if someone turned on a neon light switch - the party started.  An ice-blue spotlight bounced off the quartz granite canyons, got higher, and soon created both a piercing energy and hard shadows. Hiking would be easy – heck, reading a book was doable…
(I was do-able). The rest of the evening cannot be repeated here.

Bottom line though, you will have one full moon somewhere along your trip. Use it well.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 9:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I never really thought about this, but can you climb Half Dome at night?

--------------
 Post Number: 9
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 9:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes. Its quite popular to get up at 3am, to climb HD and watch the sunrise before going back down.
 Post Number: 10
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 9:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wornoutboots @ Mar. 09 2013, 6:38 pm)
I never really thought about this, but can you climb Half Dome at night?

Sure. The permits are required 24/7 that the cables are up but there are no restrictions on hours of access.

On a mostly full moon night it would be wonderful I expect.
 Post Number: 11
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 11:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is a cinder cone south of Reds Meadow a ways.  Neat place to camp, especially if mosquitoes are out.

--------------
I love the mountains!
10 replies since Mar. 03 2013, 11:01 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Any Must See Side trails on the JMT?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions