2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Guns or no: Are you 'packing' when backpacking?, NOT a discussion on gun rights< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
CAHH5775 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 11:30 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm seeking feedback on the latest post for my trails blog, Heads Up Hiker,  an informal poll regarding hikers carrying guns.
Here's the link: http://pvtrib.com/main.as....1262.89
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I always pack:

A bear cannister.

Mostly because, as I am wont to say: "They're Fast Food!"*

* TM pending....

Outside of Brown Bear country up along the Canadian Barren Lands there are far better alternatives: Bear Spray and knowledge being the foremost two (the "Bear" food canister is actually for rodents, the real scourge of the wilderness, IMHO.)

That said a comment section that requires my telephone number" Will. Not. Happen.
 Post Number: 3
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 11:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Mar. 08 2013, 11:48 am)
That said a comment section that requires my telephone number" Will. Not. Happen.

+1

For the "informal poll", my answer is "no".

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 12:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Mar. 08 2013, 8:58 am)

+1

Turns out a fake will work.

Think of somehting clever to spell out!
 Post Number: 5
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Mar. 08 2013, 11:58 am)

+1

+2

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 6
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 1:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why answer on a national forum?  The question should be is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?  The actual answer is that the people you expect least to carry backpacking are the ones that actually do and vice versa.  After about 20 years camping and backpacking the Southwest, my observation is many lefty green types pack since they've angered ranchers who know their vehicles, while most LEO types leave it behind since they are out there to relax and they know the stats that there's no wacky tobacky farms or anything that needs guarding out here in the freakin' desert.  Go figure.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 7
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry, not driving up your hit counter or following any instruction to drum up business on your website.

Not interested in yet another appeal for my time, which is better spent doing other things. Having allotted my quota to this one, hasta.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 8
CAHH5775 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 4:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm just a SW hiker, not interested in drumming up business on the website, but really interested in the answer to my question. I didn't post on all forums, just the SW one.
 Post Number: 9
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 4:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No.

I carry a bear canister where required, and spray when in Griz country.  I consider my trekking poles to be personal protection, mostly from my own clumsiness.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 10
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Short informal answer:

Not in national parks.
Always at least a .38 in wilderness areas or other national forest lands if with wife or daughters.
Bears not much of a factor unless archery hunting in grizzly territory--then either a .44 magnum revolver if solo or 12-gauge pump if paired up with another bow hunter.
Sincerely hope to never feel like I need to use it.
It's like house insurance--you don't bitch about your house not burning down if you have house insurance!

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 11
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 7:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nope.  If people consider it that dangerous, why go there?  Leave some space on the trail quotas.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 12
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 09 2013, 7:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bear spray.

But if I think It's dangerous enough to warrant carrying one, I either don't go or carry a short-barreled 12ga pump loaded with 6 rounds alternating 00 or 000 with hollowpoint slugs and a sidesaddle with 6 more.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 13
2PawsRiver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 10 2013, 12:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes :)

--------------
www.MarkandSharonLundin.com
 Post Number: 14
RaymondMillbrae Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 10:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bear spray is permanently attached to my strong-side backpack waistband.

In some areas (when bowhunting, or in lion country),  I usually carry.

Bear spray is good. But if I should get bounced on, or an animal should jump on a pardner...a pistol at point blank range is a last resort.

By the way, ALWAYS carry a revolver. If the slide of your pistol gets pushed back by 3/16" of an inch (like when you are pressing it up against something that jumps on you), the pistol will not fire.

In Christ: Raymond
 Post Number: 15
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 1:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

-Guns? - no, I leave them at home.
-Bear spray in grizzly country.
-Just a canister in black bear country.
 Post Number: 16
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No gun.

Wits and bear spray.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 3:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Apr. 08 2013, 11:34 am)
No gun.

Wits and bear spray.

It's the SouthWest Forum afterall.

And that means more bear canister and less bearspray in many places such as Yosemite (where bear spray is banned) not mention the greatest threat is rodents....
http://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/

Well, okay, second to bee stings and flowing water....
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 5:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Apr. 08 2013, 12:39 pm)

(desert dweller @ Apr. 08 2013, 11:34 am)
No gun.

Wits and bear spray.

It's the SouthWest Forum afterall.

And that means more bear canister and less bearspray in many places such as Yosemite (where bear spray is banned) not mention the greatest threat is rodents....
http://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/

Well, okay, second to bee stings and flowing water....

Let's not forget a heart attack.
If someone truly wants to be protected, they should bring along an AED instead of a firearm.  
Statistically you'll have a much greater chance of needing defibrillation over a firearm for your survival.

Of course an AED doesn't do much to relieve that fear of the boogey-man.
 Post Number: 19
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 6:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think the question ultimately is which is more fun, an AED or a gun.

It's so hard to choose . . .

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 11:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(waterdog @ Apr. 08 2013, 3:03 pm)

Hey, I'll give you credit for honesty when it comes to firearms.  At least you admit that it's far more about infatuation with the guns than it is about preparedness or practicality.

Most gun lovers aren't that candid.
 Post Number: 21
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Apr. 09 2013, 8:15 am)

(waterdog @ Apr. 08 2013, 3:03 pm)

Hey, I'll give you credit for honesty when it comes to firearms.  At least you admit that it's far more about infatuation with the guns than it is about preparedness or practicality.

Most gun lovers aren't that candid.

An apropo cartoon for waterdog's picture. What a culture of fear that has invaded this country. Unless you're in griz country a gun is really not needed. Unless you're afraid of something.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 12:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From a backpacking perspective what I see in that photo is one heck of a lot of weight to be hauling up and down and up the Sierra....
 Post Number: 23
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 6:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Apr. 08 2013, 5:12 pm)
Let's not forget a heart attack.
If someone truly wants to be protected, they should bring along an AED instead of a firearm.  
Statistically you'll have a much greater chance of needing defibrillation over a firearm for your survival.

I tried explaining this to a rookie cop not long ago.  In 13 years, I've never shot at anyone and only drawn my weapon a handful of times.  I've actually hit the "shock" button on a defib once, hooked them up two other times and responded to more "person down" and heart attack calls than I can count.  It's going to be hot today in town, the old folks will have a bad time in this weather.

To answer the OP's question, yes, I'm required to carry my service weapon everywhere I go so my Glock gets some trail time.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 12:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's the one pause I have about the banning bottled water thing that's going around: people entirely not used to the heat wandering around, getting dehydrated whether it's along the National Mall or heading to Upper Yosemite Falls or Cliff House (where they rightly endlessly nag you about drinking water) and then having at risk people get in real trouble.
23 replies since Mar. 08 2013, 11:30 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Guns or no: Are you 'packing' when backpacking?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions