2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Camping near Yosemite< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
powderfinger Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2013, 9:45 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and I are planning a road trip in early June and hoping to see Yosemite, Sequoia & Kings Canyon (just dayhiking).  I know that campgrounds in the parks are limited and we do not have reservations.   We have a small truck camper so all we really need is a place to pull off the road (I know you can't do that in the Nat. Park).  I have some info about dispersed sites and campgrounds in the nearby Nat. Forests. Does anyone have any other tips about places to stay outside the parks that would be open that time of year?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2013, 9:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Valet park for free at the awahnee hotel, and sneak back after dark to quietly sleep in your truck camper.

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are a lot of National Forest campgrounds all along the eastside of the Sierra on roads branching off 395. A fair number off the portion of 120 going up Lee Vining Canyon, some at low elevations and others higher up. Inyo NF has a webpage of them. On the west the ones I know of are along Beasore Road in Sierra NF above Bass Lake. IIRC some of those are reservable. Have you checked with recreation.gov for park campground reservations? Sometimes there are patches of dates with some availability even amongst a lot of full dates (there's a calendar view that gives a broader perspective of availability). There's also the non-reservable Yosemite campgrounds, for a weekday arrival they can be a good bet, esp[ecially earlier in the day. Yosemite's webpages list those (you'd want to check their openning dates as some are high enough they're effected by snow).

Sequoia and Kings Canyon has been too long and mostly even then from the east so I'm not up to date on how their stuff works. But recreation.gov is still worth checking out, opennings happen.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 12:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

East side CGs off 395 will make it difficult to do much in Yosemite Valley, as they're just too far away. Tuolumne remains possible from some of those sights. Most of the East side trailheads, to my knowledge, are too low and too far from the mountains for decent day hikes. Unless you're really fast and like long days.

Camp 4, the climbers' camp (Sunnyside Walk-In CG) in Yosemite Valley may yield a spot if you get there really early on a weekday and wait in line at the kiosk. But you can't sleep in your truck there. Also, look into Yosemite Creek CG off Tioga Pass Rd. early on a weekday. Just maybe . . .

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2013, 11:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In early June this year Yosemite Creek won't be open.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campground.htm

Wow, NONE of the 120 campgrounds are scheduled for June.... that has to be money since this hasn't been much of a snow year at all to date.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Mar. 14 2013, 11:37 am)
In early June this year Yosemite Creek won't be open.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campground.htm

Wow, NONE of the 120 campgrounds are scheduled for June.... that has to be money since this hasn't been much of a snow year at all to date.

It's pretty lame to close a campground to try to save money--how much can it cost to keep a tent campground open?

This is what all the anti-government anti-tax people have been asking for--reduced services.

Where were all the balanced budget/deficit hawks when Bush II was running a war (based on lies) and having simultaneous tax cuts? Paying for ten years of futile and unnecessary war by closing National Park campgrounds is Republican insanity.

Oops, off topic, sort of, sorry.

--------------
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 3:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I sort of remember Yosemite Creek is usually a late opener ( why I went and checked that recommendation) as that road is a bear but the others came as a surprise. The close to 10% money cut has got to be hard on seasonal resources, the heavy equipment costs to restore the campground after winter tree and rockfall etc. is probably part of it, spread out the same equipment and operators rather than spend on doing them all simultaneously. I was along that way in late May one year before the Tioga Road was open and while I walked out along the road down to the Crane Flat gate the parade of heavy equipment haulers was impressive heading up to work on everything.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, I guess it's a matter of priorities, and it's easier to cut the smaller, quieter, less connected interest groups--like park visitors and wildlife enthusiasts. Meanwhile, banks continue to be "too big to fail".

There I go, off-topic again. Damn.

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 3:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(waterdog @ Mar. 16 2013, 12:27 pm)
Yes, I guess it's a matter of priorities, and it's easier to cut the smaller, quieter, less connected interest groups--like park visitors and wildlife enthusiasts. Meanwhile, banks continue to be "too big to fail".

There I go, off-topic again. Damn.

Well I expect a lot of that prioritization is The Valley versus the rest of the park.
 Post Number: 10
fish4dinner Search for posts by this member.
fish 4 dinner

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 6:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i like the ahwahnee idea :D

--------------
jerry lee--
"n between the life we dream and these dark and dusty days,we drive to work make our  plans as time tip toes away.
The music plays from far away a song of circumstance, we step in time or fall behind in someone else's dance/"
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(fish4dinner @ Mar. 16 2013, 3:40 pm)
i like the ahwahnee idea :D

Helluva Sunday Brunch.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 11:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Mar. 13 2013, 5:34 pm)
There are a lot of National Forest campgrounds all along the eastside of the Sierra on roads branching off 395. A fair number off the portion of 120 going up Lee Vining Canyon, some at low elevations and others higher up. Inyo NF has a webpage of them. On the west the ones I know of are along Beasore Road in Sierra NF above Bass Lake. IIRC some of those are reservable. Have you checked with recreation.gov for park campground reservations?

I was thinking the eastside NF campsites might be good for one night, then do a few dayhikes in the Tioga Pass area, then try to find something near the Valley.  I read that there are free sites along Harden Flat Road about 28 miles west of the Valley.  
I haven't checked for reservations.  We really like the freedom of not having reservations but I understand it is a gamble in more crowded areas like this.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2013, 11:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(waterdog @ Mar. 16 2013, 12:57 pm)
It's pretty lame to close a campground to try to save money--how much can it cost to keep a tent campground open?

This is what all the anti-government anti-tax people have been asking for--reduced services.

I would guess that it costs less to run the campground than the $592,000 the govt. spent on a 2011 study to figure out why chimpanzees throw poop.
 Post Number: 14
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2013, 12:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Getting back to the OP's question -
If going through Tuolumne, (and its open), why not just trust your karma and stay at the main Tuolumne campsite inside the park itself - 50% reserved only, and $17 is pretty cheap. They usually have some less than desirable spots always available.
It's not like you need a great site on the A-loop, (though always best to ask...you never know), as all you need is a level spot for the rig.
There is a flavor to Tuolumne.

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 17 2013, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With Tuolumne Meadows and Crane Flat both listed with specific opening dates of July 12 I'd expect even with milder conditions having them open a month ahead of schedule, in early June when the OP is going, is a low probability.

Otoh for a midweek arrival when Tuolumne is open its worth a shot as that's a big place and only 50% reservable and the new rules don't  allow a reserved site occupant to automatically extend their stay unless there are reservation openings, otherwise they just join the wait list like anyone else. That should make spots a bit more available.

ETA: oh and if you're a Senior Pass holder there's a 50% discount on campground fees.
http://store.usgs.gov/pass/senior.html
 Post Number: 16
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 18 2013, 11:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

In between the Grant Grove section of Kings Canyon, and Sequoia NP, is a section of Sequoia NF (Giant Sequoia NM) that has lots of options for off-the-side of the road camping.  Just pick up a forest map and look for the Big Meadows Road and Buck Rock and thereabouts.  Also pick up a free CA Campfire Permit and ask where they're allowed, if you want to have a fire.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
15 replies since Mar. 12 2013, 9:45 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Camping near Yosemite
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions