2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Channel Islands, In September< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 1:14 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi all! I am strongly considering kayak camping in the the Channel Islands this summer. I thought there would be multiple threads on this but the search function has forsaken me. Has anybody done this lately? Or ever? Or do you know of any blogs I could read about it?

I may just take a day trip to Ventura and talk to the rangers about it. I guess my dilemma is that I'm a little nervous about the sea kayaking. I just have an 11 foot sit on top kayak. It could do this trip. But the person who invited me has a 17' sea kayak. Not sure if I can keep up...or if I should rent something. The camping and the hiking and the scenery I would enjoy immensely, just a little worried about the boating.

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
beantownR6 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

ive been wanting to back pack there also.  ive also recently been interested in trying kayak camping, sounds like a blast on a river!

check this out:
http://www.tarol.com/channel_islands2.html
 Post Number: 3
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 1:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While I like the versatility of the sit-on-tops (out of Context thread fodder) for things like diving, swimming, and fishing, your boat likely will paddle like a mud hen compared to your buddy's 17-footer. And you'll be hard pressed to get your gear on board. I'm sure people take this kind of trip in a boat like yours, but I wouldn't want to.

The water conditions out there shouldn't be trivialized--it can get bad in a hurry. You will want to train in the boat you plan on taking. A real ocean boat will probably feel much less stable than your sit-on-top. And you will want to train with the boat loaded with gear you're planning om bringing.

If you prepare properly, this will be a great trip.

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 4
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 8:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've always been interested in a trip like this, but there are challenges besides getting blown to Mexico. Most notably limited natural water sources and they don't want you to pull up on any beach and camp. Summer tends to be windy - Cabrillo had to hang out there for months before the weather allowed him to sail on. I'd plan a trip like this October - Feb.

But it's gotta be doable. Please let us know what you find out and how it goes for you. Since moving to the area I've found so many hiking opportunities in the huge wilderness areas with little to no restrictions that I haven't pursued a trip like this.
 Post Number: 5
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 10:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fresh water and camping restrictions would be your biggest limitations.  Wind and big waves is a big safety concern.  

For your first trip I would suggest base camping at Scorpion and taking a guided day trip.  

"The area of the park that is most popular for sea kayaking is centered around Scorpion Beach on East Santa Cruz Island. This location is a world class destination for sea kayaking because of easy beach access, clear ocean waters, nearby camping, readily available concessionaire boat transportation service and a spectacular shoreline with beautiful sea cave and cliffs to explore.

Sea kayaking at San Miguel and Santa Rosa Islands is recommended to only the most highly experienced (expert), skilled, conditioned kayakers with all necessary safety equipment due to the consistently extreme weather and sea conditions that regularly dominate these areas."

more here:  http://www.nps.gov/chis/planyourvisit/kayaking.htm

and here: http://www.channel.islands.national-park.com/hike.htm

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 29 2013, 10:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(beantownR6 @ Mar. 28 2013, 3:06 pm)

This was a fun trip - combined backpacking and day kayaking :)  

I have a lot of kayaking experience, but the waves that day were the biggest I've experienced and it was a little intimidating.  I'm very glad to have a guide or there was no way I was going to go into the caves.  One guy in my group couldn't handle it and had to go back.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 30 2013, 11:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Make sure you bring free diving gear, a fishing license, and a Hawaiian sling. Or is that now a "no take" zone?

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 8
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 12:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the information everyone. I will sift through it all, believe me. Well, my friend also invited a newbie kayaker. Eek, although I understand they plan on doing quite a bit of kayaking together between now and then. He has two smaller boats that I think they are probably going to use.

But I like the idea of renting a boat and trying it out loaded down. I guess that would be telling.

Mudhen....awesome!

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 1:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

So make sure the three of you train together if possible. Practice the various assisted rescues, like the "H" rescue, since there will be three boats. Develop a bomb-proof roll, and try it with the loaded boat.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

--------------
8 replies since Mar. 28 2013, 1:14 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Channel Islands
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions