2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Grand Canyon Week long hike Early June, Grand Canyon Week long< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Simonizer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 11:22 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi everybody !! I'm planning to go to the Grand Canyon on June 2nd for a 6 days hike with 2 freinds and after sending the permit form to NPS, they inform us that they don't recommend us to go during our planned dates because it's too hot. I was hopping that someone on Backpacker had already done this trip and will reasure us about that. Our trip is :
1. 06/02/2013 BB9 TANNER, AT LARGE CAMPING
2. 06/03/2013 BB9 TANNER, AT LARGE CAMPING
3. 06/04/2013 BC9 CARDENAS, AT LARGE CAMPING
4. 06/05/2013 BE9 HANCE CREEK, AT LARGE CAMPING
5. 06/06/2013 BG9 COTTONWOOD CRK, A/L CAMPING
6. 06/07/2013 OUT Hiking Out

This trail is mostly Tanner Trail and we follow the Colorado River for a while. The only spots that are very critical are Hance Creek and Cotton Wood. There we can run out of water. So I hope someone can help me !
Thank you !!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 11:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

AZ/Grand Canyon in June or Hell, take your pick.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 3
steve t Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 11:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree with the park service.  June temps in the inner canyon will average in the low 100's and often exceed 110 degrees.  

What is your experience hiking Grand Canyon?  What is your experience hiking Grand Canyon in the summer?  The Escalante Route is a challenging 3rd or 4th Grand Canyon experience; and then only when temps are mild.  (it will exceed 90 degrees this week).

The Escalante Route is remote.  Go in June and likely you will see no one until you get to Horseshoe Mesa on the way out.

Let's start with your Grand Canyon experience, and we can determine whether this is the trek you should undertake in June.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 11:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's all our first trip to the Grand Canyon, we have lot of experience of hiking but mostly winter hiking or 2-3 days hikes. We really want to go there, is there other trails that can be done in June ?
 Post Number: 5
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 1:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First trip to the Canyon, and I am assuming June is your only option?  110* heat, at least, and you will need to drink 4 l of water every day.  If you think you may have a dry camp, or difficulty in finding the water, that means you need to carry 4 L per day.  That makes for a heavy pack, especially in the heat.

Most folks try something easier for their first hike there, like down  Hermit's trail, and across to Bright Angel.  About 3-4 nights without pushing too hard.  Keep to trails where the water is more reliable.  The desert is no place to learn what heat and water loss can do.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 7:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes June is our only otpion, we plan to carry between 6-8L of water per day, we are now trying to get a new route which will have more water on. We will consider both of the trails you said.
Thank you !
 Post Number: 7
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 10:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After backpacking the Grand Canyon for a few March trips, December really appeals to me now.   I couldn't recommend it in summer...

That remote, you'd need to bring all your water since a closed spring would likely be deadly.  Also a gear/consumables plan, so on your last day, you are climbing out of the canyon with a pack of mostly water weight that you will drink down.  Start hiking well before dawn would likely need to be your strategy, along with a bail-out plan if water got low.  Not sure how fun that sounds. About the only thing going for you is gear can be minimal.

I've thought about a June trip but it would be on
'the corridor" with water sources and  minimal gear (maybe a bug bivy with a poncho tarp, no cook, etc..) with max water/Gatorade.   Going down isn't usually a problem.  It's going up and being exposed on the plateaus that can be hot.  Competitive ultrarunner types have died due to heat, regardless.

Even in March, we would start before dawn and hide behind rocks after reaching our camps a little after lunch.   On top of that, there can be surprise snow into May as trailrunners trying a R2R2R found out.  It can get that wild.

It's doable but you would need to try some dry desert camping beforehand, live in a hot environment turning off the A/C to acclimate, etc ...

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 8
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With June as your only option why not hike where that's a great season instead of forcing your way in defience of the calendar?

It's a big country.
 Post Number: 9
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2013, 10:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Simonizer,

Don't do the Grand Canyon in June. I've done 34 trips there, all Nov. thru Feb. -- and I hear the stories about summer there from the rescue rangers.

June is primo for other venues, notably Great Basin mountains. Great Basin National Park (NV) is good, or Mount Moriah (just north of there) is well worthwhile. Also Utah's Deep Creek Mts. a little further north.
 Post Number: 10
steve t Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 2:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First time in Grand Canyon, and June.  Only 2 routes I will suggest: 1-corridor to Bright Angel Camp and out.  2-Hermit, Tonto, Indian Gardens and up the Bright Angel Trail.

For trip one, with an early morning (6-7am) or late afternoon (~5pm) start down the South Kaibab (carry ~1 gallon of water).  Can camp at Bright Angel Campground or in a Phantom Ranch dorm (~$40 per night).  A layover is possible with a morning dayhike to Ribbon Falls (~1 gallon of water).  Will be looking for shade and siesta after about 10am.  Then an early morning or late afternoon hike up and out the Bright Angel trail.  You can break this into 2 short days and stay a night at Indian Gardens.  Bright Angel Trail has water stations that usually work.

For trip 2, get an early morning or late afternoon start down the Hermit Trail, turn right on the Tonto and stay the night at Monument.  Then early morning (~6am) or late day (~5pm) hike along the Tonto Trail to Indian Gardens (carry ~1 gallon of water on this stretch).  3rd day, hike out the Bright Angel Trail.

Both of these hikes are on well marked trails, have or have reasonable access to water, and there will likely be other crazies out in the blistering heat in case something goes wrong.  The corridor trails are ranger patrolled.

All the above said, June is still a bad plan for a 1st Grand Canyon experience.
 Post Number: 11
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 9:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you're used to winter hiking, this could be pretty brutal. I'd stick to the corridor trails.

My son and I will be doing North Kaibab to the river and than back up to Cottonwood and then out in late June. My only other experience was an apparent anomaly - almost exactly 31 years prior when I was my son's age, I did the same route except went to the river and back to Cottonwood in 1 day for 21 miles (still my longest day of hiking ever). I recall being disappointed that it wasn't that hot! LOL. I'm not expecting to be so lucky this time around.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 12
ScottandKiley Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 10:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did tanner trail in mid-may and I feel like that was pushing it.  Someone died down there from the heat not too long after that.  My best advice is to wait until you get the permit that you want, don't go in June or July just because that is all you can get.
11 replies since Apr. 01 2013, 11:22 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Grand Canyon Week long hike Early June
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions