2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Southern AZ Barefoot Hike< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
JessyJ03 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 3:09 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello Everyone! There is a group of us going for a barefoot hike on April 13th. All are welcome to join us and give barefoot hiking a try on Mt. Lemmon in Tucson, Az. If you have any questions you can message me at the Tucson group found here: Tucson Barefoot Hiking
or at the Arizona Barefoot Hiking page here:
Arizona Barefoot Hiking

If you can't make the Mt. Lemmon event there have been others in the Phoenix/Sedona area and are likely to be more in the future!

Below is the info for the event:

If you'd like to caravan or carpool up the mountain, meet at Walgreens (9115 E TANQUE VERDE RD. Tucson AZ 85749) by 10AM

Hike #1- Mt. Bigelow Summit
For more info/pics http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=1920

Time: 11am
Distance: roughly 2 miles
TH Elevation: 7,910 ft
Elevation Gain: 640 ft
Avg Time: 1.25 hrs with shoes... without I would plan for 2 hrs, maybe a bit more if we stop a lot for breaks and pictures at the top.
Difficulty: Easy hike for hikers of all ages and abilities.

Directions to TH:
Follow Catalina Hwy (Turns into Mt Lemmon Hwy) until you reach the TH just across the Organization Ridge Road turnoff. The TH will be on your right side and may be labeled Bigelow TH... but I am not sure. If you reach the Palisades Visitor Center (on the left hand side), you will have gone too far! It is the TH just before the center on the right hand side.

Hike #2- Mt. Lemmon Meadow Loop
For more info/pics- http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/MountLemmonMeadowLoop_8520.asp

Time: 1-2 pm depending on how long the Bigelow hike lasts
Distance: 1.5 miles
TH elevation: will be near 9000 ft
Elevation Gain: 360 ft
Hike Time: 1 hr with shoes... so plan for 1.5-2 hrs depending on the flow of the group.
Difficulty: Easy hike for all ages and abilities.

Directions to TH: From the Bigelow TH turn right and continue up the mountain. Turn right at the sign for Ski Valley. Follow Ski Run Rd for 3.1 miles all the way to the top. The trailhead is on the left.

If you didn't go to the 1st hike this hike will be 25 miles up the mountain from the base of Mt Lemmon HWY

Things to know
* Avg temps in April are around 60 deg but it could be slightly hotter. Wear sunscreen, you can burn anywhere!

* A short ways up the HWY, there will be a booth. The price to go up is $5 for vehicles planning to stop. If the booth is closed you will need to go Molino Basin Campground area (on the left hand side) and fill out an envelope with your info and place the fee into the wooden box. Don't forget to rip off the pay stub and place on your window to prove you've paid.

* There is a small ski area called Summerhaven at the top of the mountain. There are a few small shops and cafes. I'm not sure what they carry there so plan to bring what you need! The food is over-priced but if you'd like to eat there we can all discuss that.

* Bring lots of water

* Don't expect to get cell phone service on the mountain

* It's recommened that you bring some sort of sandals with you just in case, especially if you're new to barefoot hiking

Directions from Phoenix:

Follow I-10 East for 107.2 miles. Take Exit 256 toward Grant Rd. 0.2 mi, then merge onto N I-10 Frontage Rd/N Business Center Dr/N casa Grande Hwy 0.1mi, Turn left onto W Grant Road. Follow Grant Road for 8.5 miles. Turn Left on E Tanque Verde Rd (there is a McDonalds on the right hand side with a giant dinosaur. You want to turn left at this light). Continue following Tanque Verde Road until you reach E Catalina Hwy. Turn Left on Catalina Hwy and follow the road up the mountain.

*Side note- There will also be at least 1 kid (9yrs)at this event that I know of. So if you'd like to bring your kids out feel free to do so!*
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 4:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd rather stick pins in my eyes, but thanks anyway.

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 3
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 10:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Both should be pretty nice trails. The Lemon Loop will have some forest duff but still plenty of rocks.

Though I understand the reasoning behind barefoot hiking (closer to Mother Earth, a more natural way to trek, a good workout for your feet and that "natural" feeling) but it's not something that appeals to me. Maybe for the short hikes you're proposing it would be fine and maybe fun.

Because most of my hiking is long distance over desert terrain, I believe in protecting my feet. It's your feet that will get you out of the wilderness and back to civilization. Heck, I won't even ride a bicycle in town in sandals mainly because if I wreck or fall off or have to stop quickly, I want my feet protected.

But, that's just the way I see it. Enjoy the hike. Be sure to come back to the Forums and give us a detailed account of how it went. I'm sure there will be some lessons we can all learn from.

Thanks for the invite.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Apr. 03 2013, 10:51 am)
Both should be pretty nice trails. The Lemon Loop will have some forest duff but still plenty of rocks.

Though I understand the reasoning behind barefoot hiking (closer to Mother Earth, a more natural way to trek, a good workout for your feet and that "natural" feeling) but it's not something that appeals to me. Maybe for the short hikes you're proposing it would be fine and maybe fun.

Because most of my hiking is long distance over desert terrain, I believe in protecting my feet. It's your feet that will get you out of the wilderness and back to civilization. Heck, I won't even ride a bicycle in town in sandals mainly because if I wreck or fall off or have to stop quickly, I want my feet protected.

But, that's just the way I see it. Enjoy the hike. Be sure to come back to the Forums and give us a detailed account of how it went. I'm sure there will be some lessons we can all learn from.

Thanks for the invite.

I do a lot of desert hiking myself during the fall. I have yet to do more than a mile barefoot in this terrain. It's for the reasons you would expect (cactus, stickers etc). I do own a pair of minimalist shoes that will be going with me during my hike (VFF).

You would be surprised how much we miss about nature when we wear shoes. I look forward to feeling the different textures under my feet and experiencing whatever there is to experience up on the mountain barefoot.

I understand not everyone is interested in this form of hiking. For those who are new to being barefoot or just want to give it a shot we picked fairly easy trails to get started on. All are welcome and we wont hold it against you if you put shoes on at any time during the hike :)

Thank you for the kind words.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Event has been canceled :(
 Post Number: 6
waterdog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2013, 9:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why? Did you find your shoes?

--------------
I'm more comfortable with unanswered questions than I am with unquestioned answers.
 Post Number: 7
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2013, 12:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've seen barefoot marathoners but very few BF hikers.
Not for me, but have fun with it!
 Post Number: 8
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2013, 1:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

A university buddy always hiked that way in the Sierra. But that was his normal SoCal mode so his feet had the toughness and his ground awareness was probably high from the constant practice, not for me.
7 replies since Apr. 02 2013, 3:09 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Southern AZ Barefoot Hike
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions