2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Inyo/Mt. Whitney trail map, Looking for good topo< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jmsamr Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 10:20 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I won Whitney lottery and have been looking for a detailed topo map that includes trails from cottonwood to Whitney portal exit. I have the GIS map from usda.gov site but it is not a topo with mileages. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This one?:
http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs....ail-map

I have the Yosemite ones (the quadrants) and they're quite nice, probably have more detail than the Harrison.

ETA: The Earthrover Tom Harrison smartphone app map for "Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park Recreation Map" has that trail information, less ground detail, of course.

http://tomharrisonmaps.com
 Post Number: 3
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 11 2013, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A second for the Tom Harrison Maps.
I have several of them.  They are region specific, durable and waterproof.
 Post Number: 4
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2013, 2:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cottonwood Lakes first night perhaps at Muir Lake.  You could push up to Lake 4/5 but that is higher over night the first night.  I'd rather sleep a bit lower the first night.

Take the route over OLD Army Pass (it is shorter and 300' lower even if unmaintained).  You can stop at Soldier Lakes and the Mitre or continue down to where the PCT crosses Rock Creek.

Next night is as high as you feel comfortable getting above Crabtree Meadows.  Drop packs at Trail Ridge for the summit trip.

The trails are well marked and signed.  I prefer Tom Harrison maps for that area.  

An alternate route that follows the JMT most of the way, is a bit longer but more scenic is from Onion Valley to Vidette Meadows.  Long day over Forester Pass to Tyndall Creek. The next day to Crab Tree.  Marginally easier to get up to Onion Valley to recover a car than it is at Horseshoe Meadow.  This route is also a bit more strenuous since you have to get over Kearsarge as well as Forester (13,200') passes.  Better scenery though.

You can shorten the trip by going over Shepherd Pass (off of same road to Onion Valley out of Independence) staying at Mahogany Flats or Anvil the first night.  Then over the pass the next day to pick up the JMT at Tyndall Creek.  This is a bit more strenuous but it is the fast track to the high Sierra.  Popular trail, with not many permits.  It should be booked early.

Rather than making it a race, you should plan a leisurely event and spend time checking out some of the most spectacular scenery in the Sierra.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 5
jmsamr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2013, 10:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the suggestions we are going with the Tom Harrison map.

For our route we are going to camp somewhere in cottonwood lakes area go over new army trail and hook up with PCT then on to JMT to Whitney. We are doing the trip in 4 days 3 nights. Has anybody had any luck fishing in cottonwood lakes area?
 Post Number: 6
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2013, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jmsamr @ Apr. 14 2013, 7:01 am)
Thanks for the suggestions we are going with the Tom Harrison map.

For our route we are going to camp somewhere in cottonwood lakes area go over new army trail and hook up with PCT then on to JMT to Whitney. We are doing the trip in 4 days 3 nights. Has anybody had any luck fishing in cottonwood lakes area?

I'm not much of a fisherman, but a friend of mine frequents that area to fish.  He keeps going back so I'd guess he's catching something.
 Post Number: 7
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 11:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Up until a few decades ago, the larger Cottonwood Lakes were fish hatcheries for Golden Trout.  Lakes 2 and 3 were off limits, but they didn't mind us feeding the fish.  All those movies of piranha swarming around some hapless actor with a bad part, came to mind.  There were some gigantic lakers as well.

They'd stock the lakes in the two drainages and on the west side. The fishing then was still only fair.  

We've been up there in early June and able to catch 6"+ barehanded.  They'd be near the trail crossing the lakes, captured in melt pools in the ice.

Using barbless hooks, it is catch and release after opening day in July.

I've seen better luck at Kearsarge Lakes.  Watched one young lady who knew what she was doing (or one really dumb fish), catch/release 26 fish in a bit over an hour.  With no barb, not all of the fish made it to shore.

I'd guess that one year's report of fishing success may not be useful  information that can carry on for years.  Most reports are anecdotal anyway.  But then I doubt any fisherman ever needs to stretch the truth.

I'd save your energy and expense for the hamburger and fries at the Portal on your way out.  Better guarantee.   4 days won't give you a lot of free time to spend cursing the fish Gods and you'd have to carry your kit over some pretty high altitudes for rest of the time.

If you are anywhere close to Los Angeles, a 4AM start with breakfast in Mojave will get you to the trail head before 9AM and the lakes (same for Kearsarge) at lunch.  You can thrash the water until 5PM and still make it back home before midnight.  

But I'm guessing there are closer fishing holes.

If going over New Army Pass you might want to camp at Long Lake.  It is a bit closer to your objective.  Plan on getting there early -- it is relatively popular.  The trail above High Lake is well engineered so that if you are fit, you can trudge on the up-hill spots and make it to the relatively level portions to catch your breath without many long breathing breaks.

Here is some help on where the trail over Old Army (from Lake 4/5) goes.  It is an abandoned trail and in a bit of disrepair in a few places, but is 300' lower and about a mile shorter than is New Army Pass out of South Creek drainage.  It is an adventure to start your trip with.  A mile is a long way if it is uphill and over 11,000'.

http://www.summitpost.org/route-up-old-army-pass/7987

Either way going from the lakes over the pass and down to the PCT crossing of  Rock Creek is a strenuous day.  Best make it an early start on the pass so you don't get caught in early afternoon thunderstorms up high.

Depending upon your fitness, four days might be a bit ambitious.   Cottonwood Lakes, Rock Creek, Crabapple, Whitney summit and down to Portal.   Last day would be a cracker.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
6 replies since Apr. 11 2013, 10:20 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Inyo/Mt. Whitney trail map
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions