2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Backpacking destinations near San Francisco in May, Looking for Ideas< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
WanderingFool Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 11:36 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello all,

I'm looking for somewhere to spend a night or 2 near San Francisco.  I only have a short window to go somewhere.  I'll be done with other commitments in Petaluma about 6pm on Sunday May 19, and I have to fly out of Oakland on Tuesday the 21st at about 3pm.  

My original plan was to go out to Yosemite and hike half dome on monday, but the cables aren't up until the week after I go home :(

Anyone know of somewhere else that's nice that I could hike out of and be back to OAK by 1pm on Tuesday?  I've seen some pictures of "The Lost Coast", and that look beautiful, but its about 5 hours out of the city, so I'm not sure about that, I don't want to miss my flight!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pt. Reyes? Good for a day (two nights) and a Sunday/Monday combo is probably less popular. Then Tuesday morning hit Muir Woods for a fine dayhike on the way back.
 Post Number: 3
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 12:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just did this in February. I went to a wedding in San Francisco and then went on North to Pt Reyes and hiked five miles into Wildcat camp. You are right there overlooking the beach and then you can hike along the beach to Alamere falls, which flows directly onto the shore.

For what its worth, driving in San Fran was a frickin nightmare, but then as I drove through Marin County I could actually feel the tension leaving my body.

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 1:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OBTW: a swing along the Marin Headlands road towards the lighthouse past the various old coastal defense artillary emplacements and back through some lovely woodland is a great drive: the classic San Francisco Bay and San Francisco images are shot from along that road (at the first gun emplacements you reach after leaving 101).

Spoiler Alert
 Post Number: 5
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2013, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Apr. 19 2013, 10:10 am)
OBTW: a swing along the Marin Headlands road towards the lighthouse past the various old coastal defense artillary emplacements and back through some lovely woodland is a great drive: the classic San Francisco Bay and San Francisco images are shot from along that road (at the first gun emplacements you reach after leaving 101).

Spoiler Alert

And the closest backcountry campsites to the City are close by: Hawk Camp, on Wolf Ridge above Gerbode Valley in the Marin Headlands. 3 mile (or so) hike in. Doesn't have as remote a feeling as some of the Point Reyes sites, but there is something very special about camping within sight of the City.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 3:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for all the idea's!   Wildcat Camp and Alamere falls seem to fit my remoteness requirement, but if I can look out my tent and see the Golden Gate Bridge from Hawk Camp, I think that's the winner for this trip.  

Is Hawk camp actually that close?  

Thanks all for your input!
 Post Number: 7
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WanderingFool @ May 02 2013, 12:04 pm)
Thanks for all the idea's!   Wildcat Camp and Alamere falls seem to fit my remoteness requirement, but if I can look out my tent and see the Golden Gate Bridge from Hawk Camp, I think that's the winner for this trip.  

Is Hawk camp actually that close?  

Thanks all for your input!

Yup, it's that close all right. I could walk out my front door (in SF) and end up at Hawk Camp ~8 or 9 miles later.

Be sure to check for reservations (call the number at the link in my previous comment)--I don't know how quickly it fills up, and Sunday or Monday night shouldn't be too bad, but it's best to be safe.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 1:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They've got some strange hours at the visitors center... 930-430 Sat-Mon.  Guess I'm calling back tomorrow!  

Thanks again
 Post Number: 9
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ohlone Wilderness?

Actually, you have a better chance at Half Dome when the cables are down - when they go up you have to have a permit.

Sky Camp was my favorite at Pt Reyes...

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
8 replies since Apr. 19 2013, 11:36 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Backpacking destinations near San Francisco in May
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions