2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Wanted: Your insight for Backpacker mag feature, Nominate your favorite view!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
sstewart Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2013, 1:49 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello all,

I'm writing a story highlighting the best views in all 50 states for an upcoming issue, and I'd love your input. I need nominations for the best views each of the Southwestern states. Here are a few guidelines:

1. The view must be one you have to hike to (roadside overlooks don't count).
2. The viewpoint should be an exact location, not just a general area.
3. Please include a brief description of how to reach the viewpoint (i.e., which trails to take). If you have a GPS track or UTM point for the viewpoint, include that too!

Do any favorite views come to mind? If so, feel free to email nominations my way as soon as possible--and please share this with any fellow hiker friends who might also want to nominate a favorite view or two for this article!

Thanks for your help!

Sarah Stewart
stewart.sarahlynn@gmail.com
www.sarahlstewart.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2013, 4:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is a nice view of a dry falls drop off, just down drainage from the least appealing campsite on the Tonto, in the Grand Canyon.   Cedar Springs campsite has little to nothing to recommend it, especially when compared to the neighboring sites at Salt Creek or Monument Creek.   There is little in the way of shade, and no facilities, or water.

When I stayed there one night 12 years ago, I wandered downstream on a lazy afternoon.  A couple of hundred yards downstream, it all comes to a stop, at one of the most eye-popping dry falls I have ever set my eyes on.  The back drop of the North Rim blends with the walls of the creek bed of Cedar Springs.  If you are not careful, it all begins to blend together and resemble a painted scene on an old Hollywood soundstage.  Personally, I hesitated to even mention this wonderful view.  It is jaw dropping good, and a little seen view because people are too busy moving on to Monument, or another campsite.

I do not have a current picture of this spot, but I think I can find one soon.  I will post it here when I get it.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2013, 6:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Calf Creek Falls
 Post Number: 4
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2013, 7:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Point 10,880+, Cirque Crest, Kings Canyon National Park. I don't know if it's the "best" view in the state, but it's one of those places I love because I found it myself (and because of the effort involved in getting there). The remoteness of it makes the whole place really special to me.

Muro Blanco by Tom Hilton, on Flickr

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2013, 9:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thousand Island Lake
 Post Number: 6
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 2:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My dry falls is about here:

N 36.09018  W 112.17948  

--------------

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 4:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Top of Angel's Landing in Zion NP, UT - Angel's Landing Trail

Horseshoe Bend near Page, AZ - Horseshoe Bend Trail

Mt. Langley, CA - fantastic views of Mt. Whitney!  And the rest of the southern Sierra Nevada, w/o the crowds of Mt. Whitney.  Cottonwood Lakes Trail to Old Army Pass then cross country north to the peak

Top of Mulnomah Falls, OR - Multnomah Falls Trail

Top of Medicine Bow Peak, WY - Medicine Bow Peak Trail

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 8
starwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 5:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At Zion in Utah, I prefer the view looking west off the West Rim Trail over Ivins Mountain.  N 37.29611 W 112.98958

--------------
"Straight paths made by man
Are unnatural and full of curses
But a trail is a song."

Louis Oliver (Creek Indian poet)
"Songs on Winding Trails"
in Chasers of the Sun
 Post Number: 9
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2013, 5:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have to post four for now:

One is the view from Moro Rock in Sequoia National Park--about 1/2 from the road.  But it was a lot better 30 years ago, when the air pollution let you see farther.

Even better in SEKI is Mitchell Peak, a 10 mile round trip from the Marvin Pass trailhead.  It has a view of the whole Sierra Crest, King's Canyon and SUgarloaf Canyon, and the Kaweah Divide.  Stunning.  It's one of the great dayhikes in the US.  Here's a shot from neaby:

The two best in Yosemite are:

1.  Cloud's Rest in Yosemite, a 14 mile round trip hike from Tenaya Lake, which shows you the whole Sierra Crest...and looks down on the crowds on Half Dome

2,  Mt Hoffman, a new trail (in the last couple of years) that's about 4 miles from the May Lake Trailhead...and includes just about everything you can see from Cloud's Rest, and more, including the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne and Ten Lakes Basin.  Here's a view towards Cloud's Rest and Half Dome, with the CLark Range behind:

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
 Post Number: 10
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2013, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And, here we go.  Got the picture I was hoping to find.

There is at least a 400 ft drop below the rock just beyond the grass.  The red butte in the background is on the North Rim, 10 miles away.  That brown vertical edge in the center of the pic is nearly 1/2 mile away, and inaccessible.  

--------------

Post Number: 11
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 9:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Impossible to choose!  But here are some of my favorites in the Grand Canyon NP.  (I'm NOT a photographer, so these don't really do them justice...)

Overlook at the mouth of Deer Creek, above the falls to the Colorado River:

Redwall rim on the Thunder River/Bill Hall trail overlooking Surprise Valley:

Redwall rim on the Tanner trail overlooking Colorado River (Unkar delta):

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 12
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 10:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've said for years the best view in Texas is from the big rock ledge across the trail from the SE3 campsite in the Chisos Mtns, Big Bend NP.

There aren't that many great views in Texas so it was easy to narrow down. Camped near this spot I ended up having all my meals here and looking out over the desert long after sundown.

New Mexico has classic mountain-top views. There are a lot of big mountains and you can see wide expanses of golden desert from all of them. Wheeler Peak, the state high point, is pretty great, but I prefer Middle Truchas Peak in the middle of the Pecos Wilderness. It's much more remote and you've got to commit to actually backpacking to get there, so no crowds of day hikers and very few signs of civilization.

The view from the top of Boundary Peak in Nevada is excellent because you have a panorama of California's Sierra. That's why I like it - doesn't look like the rest of the state. Any Nevada native will disagree for this reason and remind you that Wheeler Peak is the highest mountain in the state, and Boundary is just a bump on the shoulder of California's White Mountain.

You'd go insane trying to pick the best view in California. Don't forget that there are views in Big Sur that rival the Sierra, and the Trinity Alps are spectacular. There are foothill views of golden meadows dotted with green oaks here that are better than many states have.
 Post Number: 13
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 2:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toejam @ Apr. 29 2013, 10:54 am)
You'd go insane trying to pick the best view in California. Don't forget that there are views in Big Sur that rival the Sierra, and the Trinity Alps are spectacular. There are foothill views of golden meadows dotted with green oaks here that are better than many states have.

Who you callin' ccrazxy?

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
 Post Number: 14
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 3:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toejam @ Apr. 29 2013, 7:54 am)

+1

Not to mention Mt. San Jacinto, Dante's View, the King Range, Lassen, Shasta, Mt. Eddy...we have an amazing wealth of amazingly diverse scenery in California, and nearly every day I think about how lucky I am to live here.

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
 Post Number: 15
TIMOTEO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 7:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The view from Magruder Mountain (9,046 ft.) in west-central Nevada is spectacular! The flat surreal and intriguing top of the mountain is the most unusual part of the experience. The Sierra Nevada is way in the background to the west, and closer are the White Mountains. The hills to the southwest give it a special feel, among them Last Chance Mountain, around the border of Death Valley National Park, and almost due south is Death Valley itself. In my Palmetto Mountain (8,945 ft.) is to the north, across Nevada State Highway 266. I climbed from Lida Summit, on route 266, at 7,403 ft. There are no trails, and some of the hike was steep. In my photos I can compare the different blue/purple/green/brown hues of the countryside.

--------------
Babies be born, Environment won, Mercy to all, and Morals be strong.
 Post Number: 16
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 10:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

California:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/images/print_05-q4-2.html

Utah:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Gallery_B/05-L22-3.jpg

but I'm not going to relate where that is so you'll have to be content with everyone's favorite icon:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/images/print_05-l15-3.html

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 17
ogg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 for Mt. Langley.

One of my favorites (also Eastern Sierra) is Chocolate Peak, great 360 degree views of the South Fork Bishop Creek drainage and surrounding peaks.
16 replies since Apr. 26 2013, 1:49 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Wanted: Your insight for Backpacker mag feature
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions