2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: So I can't go but..., more first world problems< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 1:20 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The meetup group "So Cal Backpackers" is going to Havasu Falls on May 18th. I'm bummed because I was just telling some one that I really really want to go here. Unfortunately I'm locked into a trip on May 10th and it would suck for me to bail on my friends even though I sort of want to.

Anyway, I thought people here might be interested.

I'm also wondering if anyone here might want to go as a group and do this?

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 2:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes!!  Not sure I'd be able to go in the next few months, but maybe towards the fall?  It's on my bucket list :)  But I've heard it's best to go as a group to look out for one another.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 3:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome! I'm not doing the Channel Islands trip, just don't think its going to work out. But I am going to do the day trip w/ the rental boats sometime this summer like you suggested.

I ended up getting a Whitney permit for September 16th, so I have a fall trip going, but my schedule gets a little more flexible that time of year so I'm hoping we can go.

I have also heard that you should only do this trip in groups. I'm sure we could get a good group together!

BTW, I am based in south Orange County.

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 4
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 7:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can someone elaborate on the safety issue--exactly why is it that the trip should only be done in groups?

I was thinking about taking my family there (my kids are upper teens/lower 20s) sometime. Not a good plan?
 Post Number: 5
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 10:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ May 01 2013, 4:59 am)
Can someone elaborate on the safety issue--exactly why is it that the trip should only be done in groups?

I was thinking about taking my family there (my kids are upper teens/lower 20s) sometime. Not a good plan?

More info
 Post Number: 6
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 01 2013, 10:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FWIW, I hike around the area and wouldn't hesitate to hike Havasu Canyon on my own or with my son.  (I'm a woman, btw.)

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 7
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: May 02 2013, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

When I lived in Springville I was friends with one of the members of the local Backcountry Horsemen Assoc.  He and two of his buddies, all middle-aged men, arranged to go into the canyon on horseback, to document the mule train that delivers the mail (evidently the last place in the US the mail's delivered by mule).  They had several interesting experiences in the canyon, including a local threatening to eat their horses.  While they were there, this murder happened.  

http://www.hcn.org/issues/347/17026

So, yeah, I wouldn't go alone, just from what I've heard first hand.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
6 replies since Apr. 27 2013, 1:20 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply So I can't go but...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions