2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Half Dome Day Hike - Breakfast, What to eat< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
MicStaff Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 11:07 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm planning a day hike of Half Dome this summer with my Dad. We are staying at Curry Village and want to get started on the trail by 6am. Since this is before any restaurants open does anybody have any suggestions for what to eat to start the day? We won't have any fuel. I was think about starting with bananas and a granola bar before and then a granola bar and trail mix an hour or two after that and continue to snack/eat every 1-2 hours.

Thanks
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 11:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Add a couple of hard boiled eggs to your breakfast for some protein.
Snack along the way to maintain your energy and drink, drink, drink.
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did this hike in Sept. '07, and it has stuck with me how much water I consumed.  We did it after a week on the trail in another part of the park, so the long day was easier than we had imagined.  The water consumption was not anticipated.  We carried 3L, and had to stop by the river on the way down to refill some of our containers.  We used LYV campsites to access the water, since we needed it so soon on the way down.

Get started at or just before dawn, using headlamps if necessary.  We had walked up to the various Falls before, so we did not dally there on the way up.  If it is new to you, try to stop on the way down, so you can get to the top before the crowds arrive.  We managed to get on top before noon, so we ate lunch there and headed down shortly after 1.  There was a big difference in the crowds by then.  Lots of people heading up, and the top was getting too busy for our tastes.

For food, we ate various bars, drank a protein shake for breakfast, and carried several things to eat along the way.  It sounds like you have the same type of plans.  For a nice carbo load the night before, try the pizza on the balcony at Dornan's.  They have a couple of nice microbrews also. :)

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
gregkeller Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 6:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and I did this hike in '09. and i'm pretty sure we just shoved some granola bars, gorp, and maybe some pop tarts down our pie hole as we were getting ready and starting the hike.  We started really early, maybe 5 or 5:30 and we were not the first people to the top.  If i remember I made it to the top right around 10AM.  Make sure you have plans for water.  I carried a filter and we filled up twice, once on the way up and once on the way down.  Eat/snack frequently.  The first couple miles up to the top of the falls are pretty strenuous, so not a great chance to eat, but then the next mile or so is flat, get some more food in you, then every once in a while eat something.  Breakfast is important, but not as important as keeping fueled up the entire hike.  And don't forget to eat on the way down, there were some sorry looking souls on the way down who ate all their food and drank all their water on the way up.
 Post Number: 5
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 3:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hope you got your permit!

In summer I would start as early as I could pry my butt out of bed, along that stretch of trail. This weekend I am heading for the Diving Board - which is next to Half Dome - and we are leaving well before sunup to get to the trailhead, to get going as early as we possibly can tomorrow morning, because it is ALREADY too hot to hike after noon for me, being that I really do not do well when it's in the 90s. And it gets that hot on the open granite of the trail up to Nevada Falls.

Therefore, my breakfast for such an endeavor would be as it always is - cheese, fruit, maybe a bagel, coffee because I always have it, and maybe some granola. Along the way I'd take a filter to get more clean water because that's an eight quart hike.

This weekend's mix will include smoked gouda, Dr Kracker flatbreads, and a good trail mix with almonds, m and m's, peanuts, cashews and raisins.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 6
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Half Dome Breakfast?
Cold, left-over Curry Pizza,
Shot of Red Bull,
and a few dark chocolate Milky Ways.

Worked for me!

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 5:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I never have left over Curry PizzaDeck pizza.

That sounds like a good excuse!
 Post Number: 8
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 11:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Curry <> pizza... I'd bring it from home.

But the Mammoth Brewery beer they have on tap is excellent.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 9
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ May 03 2013, 8:28 pm)
Curry <> pizza... I'd bring it from home.

But the Mammoth Brewery beer they have on tap is excellent.

From home I bring Chinese.  Pan fried dumplings, Chicken Lomein.... The hot pepper oil.

Okay, now I'm hungry.

:)
 Post Number: 10
Ohiohiker84 Search for posts by this member.
ohiohiker84

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 8:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My husband and I are doing this hike the end of August.

For breakfast I'm planning a bacon sandwich made with those thin bagels and shelf stable bacon, hard boiled eggs, breakfast bars and a Red Bull (for my caffeine fix).
For lunch I'm planning PB & strawberry preserves on thin bagels, shredded jerky and an energy bar. Gatorade powder to mix a drink to replenish electrolytes.
For snacks I'll have my trail mix, PB pretzel bites, goldfish crackers, bars and Gatorade. Of course lots of water.

I'm planning a FBC dinner at Curry Village since we're slow hikers and the pizza place might be closed; I certainly hope it isn't since we're starting at 5:00.

I've been following Rick Deutsch since he's done the hike 35 times or so. He's having another webinar sometime later this month. Everyone here has great advice and I listen to everyone's advice and then decide what'll work for us (Even though I love pizza I would literally get sick if I ate it for breakfast  :p .)
 Post Number: 11
MicStaff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 11:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I appreciate all the suggestions! I have the permit for a Tuesday in September and I wanted to get a jump start on the planning on things to think about over the next few months. Looks like the highlights were to keep fueling up and make sure not to forget the water filter. Is LYV the last spot to get water on the way up?
10 replies since Apr. 30 2013, 11:07 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Half Dome Day Hike - Breakfast
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions