2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Tuolumne Meadows Campground, opening date< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 7:50 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just a heads-up. Tuolumne Meadows Campground and the store won't be open until July 12th. No re-supply in the meadows before July 12th.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 9:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Their FB announcement seems to be ahead of that:
http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....2328337

"ETA: On their FB page the park says the PO is scheduled to open May 31 with the store openning May 25. They're in the same building"

https://www.facebook.com/YosemiteNPS?ref=ts&fref=ts
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 12:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I obtained my information from the Yosemite National Park  Campsite and Campground information website, for 2013. http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campground.htm
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 12:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

HSF thanks for that update. I did not think to check the Facebook page. Good catch.
 Post Number: 5
markskor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 8:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Confused...
If store opens May 25th, when does the BP campground open?
If not open till July 12th, as it states YNP page,
where then do the thru hikers stay?

--------------
mountain man who swims with trout
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 12:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The park is saying Tuolumne Campground may open earlier (but no date I've seen), but the BPr campground opens when the rest of the campground opens. Presumably then backpackers have to adhere to the regulations and camp the required distance from the meadows, scheduling accordingly..

"You must camp at least four trail miles from Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite Valley, Glacier Point, Hetch Hetchy, and Wawona, and at least one air mile from any road. Camping is prohibited in the Dana Fork of the Tuolumne River."

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildregs.htm

The posiiton of the arrowheads on this map show the boundaries:
http://www.nps.gov/yose....=292137

So perhaps, Cathedral and then out Lyell Canyon? Downhill to flat so not a bad day.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 5:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ May 20 2013, 12:23 pm)
The park is saying Tuolumne Campground...  backpackers have to adhere to the regulations and camp the required distance from the meadows, scheduling accordingly..

"You must camp at least four trail miles from Tuolumne Meadows...and at least one air mile from any road. Camping is prohibited in the Dana Fork of the Tuolumne River."

Not to be cynical but...really?
PCT type thru hikers will be a bit miffed...
Foresee problems if not some reasonable compromise found before July 12.

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(markskor @ May 20 2013, 2:37 pm)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ May 20 2013, 12:23 pm)
The park is saying Tuolumne Campground...  backpackers have to adhere to the regulations and camp the required distance from the meadows, scheduling accordingly..

"You must camp at least four trail miles from Tuolumne Meadows...and at least one air mile from any road. Camping is prohibited in the Dana Fork of the Tuolumne River."

Not to be cynical but...really?
PCT type thru hikers will be a bit miffed...
Foresee problems if not some reasonable compromise found before July 12.

"The park is saying Tuolumne Campground may open earlier (but no date I've seen), but the BPr campground opens when the rest of the campground opens."

"Really"?

How so? If the backpackers campground and the car camprground are closed where else would backpackers ("thru-hikers" or whatever) legally be able to camp? Which is what I saw as the question.

Which raises the question: Where have they camped in all the years past before the campgrounds open?

"Problems"? Like thru-hikers abandoning their quest in a miff? Or the federal government getting a bit richer from those wilderness regulation fines getting levied for those that are too selfimportant to follow the park's camping guidelines?

For a Southbound JMT it's at most a downhill to flat ten miles absent snagging the shuttle. For a northbound PCTr probably a bit less. Long distance hikers that delicate they can't take a ten mile day over flat ground?

Okay:
So you asked the question got a better answer?
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 7:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just to help me pre-plan...
Thus, if in June and coming over Donahue... and after picking up my food drop at Tuolumne Post Office...(maybe a burger and a few beers with my trail buds?) - We then grab the shuttle to Cathedral or Tenaya TH -  and hike in a few miles.  Or do we push on to Glen Aulin? No big deal but, wanted to zero in the Meadows.  
Thanks

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glen Aulin's a flat to downhill freeway,  heck I can't imagine even closing the Grill and dawdling over Meadows Store brews at the tables (or Lembert Dome) would mean you wouldn't roll into Glen Aulin before dark. -300 feet in 4 and small change miles?

Course "4" on top of what that day? If you held up just outside the "4" on the day before, which works out to Ireland Creek trail junction or thereabouts, then the day would still be largely at the Meadows.

But: OTOH, they've been moving a lot of stuff up so who knows what the final decision will turn out to be on when the campground opens?
 Post Number: 11
snusmumriken Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 11:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK, this is no different than any other year.

The planned opening date for the campground in Tuolomne was set months in advance when the snowfall for the winter was still unknown. A Friday in mid July as per usual.

Then the spring arrives, plowing completes and the road opens. This year it was on Saturday May 11.

At first there are no services at all along the Tioga road. This is because early in the season the water table in Tuolomne Meadows is too high for the septic system to handle. Thus no water or sewer until the area dries out. Exactly when that happens depends on how wet it was from the snowmelt and if we get more rain/snow.

But eventually it does dry out, the store and grill opens first, then the water gets turned on and when finally all systems are a go a week or two later the campground opens fully.

Officially the BP campground is closed during this time as well because there is no water spigot, the bathrooms are locked and there is no trash pickup. However JMT and PCT thru hikers are tolerated as long as they use good LNT practices. Evening and morning permits are checked and anybody with a car parked in Tuolomne is asked to leave and camp elsewhere. But if you arrived on foot you get to stay. At least this is how it has worked in years past.
 Post Number: 12
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 7:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(markskor @ May 20 2013, 7:48 pm)
Just to help me pre-plan...
Thus, if in June and coming over Donahue... and after picking up my food drop at Tuolumne Post Office...(maybe a burger and a few beers with my trail buds?) - We then grab the shuttle to Cathedral or Tenaya TH -  and hike in a few miles.  Or do we push on to Glen Aulin? No big deal but, wanted to zero in the Meadows.  
Thanks

If you set foot on a shuttle then technically you would then need a new wilderness permit to re-enter the wilderness for overnight...

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 13
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 10:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, turning and traveling down a road, whether on foot or wheels, you've left the wilderness. Crossing it to get to another trail is permissible. Just what it says....

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 12:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As perhaps additonal metric for where things may stand in July? DNC has anounced that Tuolumne Meadows Lodge is opening June 7th this year.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Man all these early dates make me thirsty just thinking about my August route...
 Post Number: 16
GaryP4321 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 11:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

as of sunday, no one in the park knew when the meadows would open. with the low snow pack the rangers are thinking 1st week in june or the last week in may. again that is direcly from the horses mouth were i got that info from.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2013, 11:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tuolumne Meadows campground availability? Probably show up in recreation.gov's availability calendar before much of anywhere else.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 3:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On a related note, Tamarack Flat is opening tomorrow:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tamarack.htm

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campground.htm#table
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2013, 5:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Per their FB announcement:
"Crane Flat, White Wolf, and Tuolumne Meadows Campgrounds are scheduled to open this Friday (June 7)! Reservations for Crane Flat and Tuolumne Meadows have just become available via http://www.recreation.gov/.
18 replies since May 19 2013, 7:50 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Tuolumne Meadows Campground
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions